Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter issue on my ’73 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
atmadsen914
Looks like I have a starter issue on my ’73 1.7. When I turn the key to the "on" position the starter engages and will not disengage.

I just had the motor out and am worried I have swapped wires some were or have burnt the solenoid when I was trying to get it started.

Should I get a new starter? The ignition switch work great before. I am 95% positive I have everything hooked up right. Is there a relay?

Any ideas?
southernmost914
It's that 5%. Your starter and solenoid should be fine because when you turn the key off the starter disengages. There could be a hot start relay but recheck your solenoid wiring.

Good luck,
Steve
atmadsen914
It is always the 5%. The wiring is pretty simple here. Power and alternator on one post. Yellow ignition wire on the tab above.

Where is the relay on a 73?
southernmost914
The yellow wire goes to terminal #6 on the relay board. If there is a hot start kit(after market) you would see it. Check the plug on the relay board for proper alignment .

Steve
atmadsen914
No hot start kit to deal with. Wires are hooked up at the starter correctly. The relay board is correct.

Starter is now new.

My guess is ignition switch. Not sure how as it was working beautifully before I pulled the motor. But it still activates the starter at the “run” or “on” key position instead of the start position.

Nothing else it could be right?
southernmost914
The yellow wire runs directly from the #1 terminal on the relay board to #50 on the ignition switch , so ignition switch sound right.

agree.gif

Steve
Mark Henry
Switch could be sticking in the start position, try backing off your key a bit.

I had a new key cut and it would do this.
southernmost914
The contacts are possible welded or just stuck. Use the little hammer? smash.gif
atmadsen914
Ok. I will disassemble the ignition switch. I used a remote starting switch and that worked perfectly. I will let you guys know.

Thanks for your help.
orange914
QUOTE(atmadsen914 @ Sep 27 2008, 03:40 PM) *

Nothing else it could be right?

check your battery voltage AND crankinking capacity of the battery. it's possible the battery is on the weak side and explains why the old starter did what it did and the fresh new one did not. what can happen in these conditions is the solinoid on the starter "arcks" and welds it self together tempararily. i've seen it happen twice... interestingly enough once was a 944 confused24.gif

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.