Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do ya like my rig?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
So what do ya think? biggrin.gif

I was surprised as it handeled quite well on the 45mile trip, wouldn't want to stop in a hurry though. I'd say around 2700lbs w/trailer
Mark Henry
OT but what about these rims on my bus?

Not a photochop, 20" foose rim sitting in front of my wheel....I don't think it will fit blink.gif
smoke.gif

r_towle
Funny, I did not take a pic, but I did the same run with a Eurovan for the last few hours...much better to tow with...I have had a few buses over the years and the Eurovan is perfect for towing these little cars around....not nearly as much style as yours, but I have heat and AC!!!

Rich
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 27 2008, 04:10 PM) *

.... but I have heat and AC!!!

Rich

What the heck is that? biggrin.gif
r_towle
Its a less physically straining way to get the ice off the inside of the windshield....laugh.gif

My first son we built a beetle together. First day on the road I gave him a nice clean towel and a little spray bottle of windshield deicer...He asked me why (all new heater boxes etc...full redone)
He came back a few days later and said..."I get it"

Rich
Mark Henry
Won't drive the bus in the winter, it goes away as soon as the first snow/salting....then I drive a watercooled POS.

At least the POS has heat.
r_towle
A friend of mine told me one of the "back in the day" stories.

He was going to a zone event up at Lake Champlain (I think) upstate vermont/NY.
Anyways they all met about 50 miles from his house to drive up together.
He was driving a 69 camper bus while flat towing his 356 coupe.
Full of kids and camping stuff for the weekend. Blows out the #2 main bearing etc etc...motor is toast.
After a full night of drinking...(remember this was back in the 70's) his buddy says, Hey I can tow that back to your house and we can just go up in the 356 ...ok a plan was hatched...a drunk plan.

So they tie the rope to the front of the bus, the wife packs the kids in for the sleepy ride and she hops into the 356 coupe.

They tie to rope from the front of the camper bus to , get this...the rear of a early 70's 914 tow hook...and it held up all the way home with two drunk guys behind the wheels.

Rich
smontanaro
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 27 2008, 03:10 PM) *
but I have heat and AC!!!

We had A/C in our van the winter we lived in Minneapolis and heat in the summers in California... What's the big deal? blink.gif

Skip
So.Cal.914
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 27 2008, 05:33 PM) *

av-943.gif
J P Stein
No hills to traverse, eh?
If all the Vdubs in the world were lined up end to end, a bus would pull out to pass.
(that was a better line when they were all aircooled)
Mark Henry
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 27 2008, 05:40 PM) *

If all the Vdubs in the world were lined up end to end, a bus would pull out to pass.

Lots of hills here.

My bus has a 120hp Gene Berg 2.0 with 1.1:1 redux boxes, power is not an issue. I don't slow down on hills.
URY914
biggrin.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 27 2008, 12:56 PM) *

So what do ya think? biggrin.gif

I was surprised as it handeled quite well on the 45mile trip, wouldn't want to stop in a hurry though. I'd say around 2700lbs w/trailer

thats pretty cool. I like the spyder with the bus picture too
Mark Henry
Noticed I said 2700lbs w/trailer...that's the 914 and trailer, not counting the bus....but you knew that.
davep
That rig looks super Mark!
Mark Henry
Thanks Dave.

MikeG borrowed the trailer for one of the scrappers in the back and he didn't engage the lock on the (boat) winch. It spun back on him and caught his hand. Broke a blood vessel and maybe a cracked a bone, his hand is pretty swollen.

I had just finished telling him that was dangerous a few minuets before it happened. same day (thursday) as this pic.

Damn....I high-jacked my own thread....
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 27 2008, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 27 2008, 05:40 PM) *

Lots of hills here.

My bus has a 120hp Gene Berg 2.0 with 1.1:1 redux boxes, power is not an issue. I don't slow down on hills.

Bit better pic of my bus engine
orange914
we ought to start a "what have you towed w/ what" thread biggrin.gif

my old tricked out pinto wagon (yeah right) was known as the "mouse that towed a house"

0.k. a nuther' highjack (but relivant as one of many tows were a westphelia)

had a tow dolly that saw alot of stress in it's day, including towing a t/a over the altimont. brakeing spooked me more than once. stromberg.gif

Mark Henry
QUOTE(orange914 @ Sep 27 2008, 09:28 PM) *

we ought to start a "what have you towed w/ what" thread biggrin.gif

my old tricked out pinto wagon (yeah right) was known as the "mouse that towed a house"

0.k. a nuther' highjack (but relivant as one of many tows were a westphelia)

had a tow dolly that saw alot of stress in it's day, including towing a t/a over the altimont. brakeing spooked me more than once. stromberg.gif

My old rig, this is not my first BTDT happy11.gif

BTW same trailer when it was "new" in the early 90's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.