Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O Great Board of Knowledge I need a Daily Driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
I ask cause my teener is the only porsche i've ever owned. I will soon have 10k to spend on a Daily Driver. I'm only interested in Porsches. If it were you, what model would you look for and why.
Right now I'm leaning towards a 911sc, if I can find one for that $. But even a 928, or 944 is not out of the question.
WWFTD (what would fellow teeners do)
tat2dphreak
you can maybe find a nice 944 turbo for 10k... drive it like you stole it!!! that would be my choice.

the 928 and 944 are both great cars, and you can probably find them under 10k fairly easy...

an older 911 might be able to be had for that $ but will probably need some more work...

yep, 944 turbo gets my vote. smile.gif
d914
944 I agree with but skip the turbo and buy the nicest latest model in the best shape you can find. 944's can get expensive to fix too...A nice 16 valve would be fun...
My top two would be

-911 sc

-968 (hard to find at this price but possible) I picked up a 92, with 100k for $10,000 two years ago, and it was a sweet car, no problems, and the re-sale is stronger that what the 944's are getting, if you cant find one of these, a 944s2 is a great ride as well, and I've seen these going for 6,500-8500 lately...

-Adam
tat2dphreak
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...1&category=6434

found you one on ebay rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
put the $10k into your 914 and make it a superb daily driver!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Ferg
Actually my 914 would be great as a daily driver, it's owner however is to anal to drive it everyday.
Driving it to the meet in june is gonna be a big step for me. laugh.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 6 2004, 12:45 PM)

They come in a convertible!? Niiiiiiice!!!
IPB Image
ninefourteener
That one just posted looks really nice./. looks well taken care of..... the 140K miles kinda scares me though.

The 928s are BAD ASS.. I'd love to wown one.. and you could definately pick up a decent one for that price. I researched it once.... hard.

One reason I didn't though..... REPAIR COSTS.. holy shit that car is expensive to fix.

My vote? A really nice 944.. definately..... or an early 70's 911.
J P Stein
Save yourself some grief, buy an appliance.

A 93 or newer Toyoda MR 2 ....turbo or non, is well within that price range. I have a 93 Turbo. EVERYTHING WORKS, ALL THE TIME.....a radical concept, eh? 115k miles and going strong.
Now that it's 11 years old, I think about replacing it, but I can't come up with anything (IMO) better at a reasonable cost. confused24.gif The trick is finding one that hasn't been "improved".

Toyoda or Honda. German cars are expensive toys by comparison.
kenpolives
The car has a buy it now price of 10K, he must have read this post
Doug Leggins
Buy another 914 to use as a daily driver!!!
Ferg
Another 914 is an option. So is a different make, if it's a steal, heck you can buy a lot of car for 10k these days. Used market is really weak. I still like the idea of a two porsche garage though wub.gif
tat2dphreak
buy a sweet ass VW bug(not a super beetle)... mid sixties model... 10K is a NICE bug... and you have an all VW garage!! laugh.gif
eresener
buy a 944...the best one for the money you want to spend...it's reliable...fast and handles great...they say the 87 was the best year...just keep looking...fixing them is no more expensive than doing your teener. Big brakes, 5 lugs plenty of high end torque...

sawzall-smiley.gif the Doctor will see you NOW!!!
McMark
For 10k you could have somebody wink.gif build up a nice 914. Don't buy a 10k car because you never know what you're getting. If you have one built by a respectable establishment then you know you're getting something good. Yes, you pay a bit more, but that money is buying you peace of mind.

Perhaps, fresh paint, new seals and a rebuilt 2056. Sounds like a killer setup to me.

What color would you like? biggrin.gif
Gint
I'm with JP. Buy a rice rocket and drive the shit out of it with not much more than oil changes. A front wheel driver will also get you through everything but the deepest snow.
seanery
VW GTI
Carl
Requirements:
1. Daily Driver
2. $10k max.
3. Boulder, Colorado (snowy winters)

I wouldn't use a Porsche to fit that list especially if you like to keep a nice car (high anal index). 911SC's are great cars but in the snow? Traction is fair and the defog/defrost on a air cooled car is poor at best. Porsche didn't get their arms around this problem until the late 80's with multiple blowers. I had a '78 SC for many years. Loved the car but wouldn't want to drive it every day in the snow.

I'd also be cautious about the 944/968 cars you could get at that price. Cam belts are the big issue and are expensive to replace. Even more expensive if you don't. Prices are coming down on 968's but good ones aren't that low yet. That's the only model I'd consider due to typical mileage, reliability, design maturity, etc.

Take JP's advice. Buy a solid, reputable daily driver that will deliver you where you want, when you want, in Boulder weather.

C
bernbomb914
daily driver? I saw a 94 Plymoth acclaim 4door automatic with air with 18,000 miles for $4500 and it looked brand new. The back seat belts still had rubber bands around them. thats what I call a daily driver that is cheap transportation.

Bernie
djm914-6

I too would like a two Porsche Driveway. From what I've been told by others, an earlier 911 is fine in the snow (Where's Unka Dunka when you need him). With the right tires, I'd bet they could go anywhere. But, for $10k, it would be a hard find to get a reliable driver. As said before, a 944 is well within that price. Skip the Turbo and find the newest and best condition car you can. Hell, you only live once and life is too short to waste driving an appliance.

But wait, there's more...
If you do descide to buy a VW... (see Sig below)
Porsche Rescue
I use a 928 as my daily driver. Downside is poor fuel economy. I have owned over 30 Porsches and the 928 is the best for everyday use. The 928 has all the modern creature comforts, plenty of power with great handling. It is not any worse than a 944 or even a 911 if you need major work and have to rely on a pro.
However you DO NOT want a project 928. You want a low mile, well maintained (records) car. In Nov. of '02 I bought a two-owner '81 (two cam, less complex than 4 cam), AT, with 68,000 miles. It had recent cam belt/water pump replacement ( $1000 job). Paid $6750. The car has given me 12,000 trouble-free miles with only oil changes so far. AC does not work. I could update it for about $1000 but I choose to live without it. If I were to have a major engine or trans failure it could cost as much as I paid for the car. If that happens it will be a parts car!
LS6/914
81 on up 928, when the motor lets go stuff a LT1 motor in it and really have some fun. welder.gif
Bleyseng
91-93 RX7 turbo, wheeeeee when the boost kicks in! Very dependable when you just drive it around..

Geoff
Sammy
911 SC
steve@ottosvenice.com
I would not get a 928 or 944 unless you are ready to spend $$$$. 911 's are cheaper to run than those two. Steve
Ferg
Thanks for all the replies so far... To give some more info, I only at max about 100 miles a week, and boulder does not get that much snow, and the wife has a explorer, so winter driving is not an issue, at all with me. I have a super easy commute, and even with rear drive it would not be a problem.

I have about a month or maybe even two to shop, so I will start with driving a 944 and 928. My first thought is a nice low mile early 928 with lot's of records, there is a nice black one on the bay right now, with 45k and I will be interested to see what it goes for. A 944 was at the back of my list, but I should really drive one first and see what I think.

A 911 is still first choice, but finding the right one won't be easy...

Thanks again. Ferg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.