Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a quick visual way to decide engine size? 2.0 1.8 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
I picked up my 1970 914 time capsule today.. Man what a job today ... dug through mountains of parts in the garage, some items of note were the 4 914 rear sway bar assemblies, no less than 6 wiper motor assemblies, 5 shifter and shift rod assemblies in mint condition, 5 computers for the fuel injection, 3 engines (I have no idea of their sizes... which is where my question stems from....

Is there a quick way to just look at a tIV and dicide if it is a 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0? I am going to have to sell a couple of the engines b/c I just dont have the room. I now have 4 engines in the back of my garage and will be selling at least 2 of them ... but would at like to be able to say the displacement.

thanks for the help ...

Larry
stateofidleness
a quick VISUAL (not fisual smile.gif ) is the air cleaner.
2.0's have the large metal square box on top
1.7's have a round plastic one on top
1.8's....

just realized they are probably bare engines if they're sitting in your garage.. I know one way to tell is the case code and the number of bolts the heads have.
Joe Bob
2.0s have 3 bolt intakes.....

1.8s have L-jet Fuel injection.....
LarryR
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 27 2008, 09:30 PM) *

a quick VISUAL (not fisual smile.gif ) is the air cleaner.
2.0's have the large metal square box on top
1.7's have a round plastic one on top
1.8's....

just realized they are probably bare engines if they're sitting in your garage.. I know one way to tell is the case code and the number of bolts the heads have.

WOW Thanks, That does confirm at least 1 2.0 in the bunch as it has a large square air cleaner. The other 2 have no air cleaners.... Actually 2 of the 3 are fairly complete but the 3rd is more of a long block.

The one without the air cleaner has what look to be 2.0 heat exchangers still attached though but I am not certain. So I might have 2 out of 3 2.0's
LarryR
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 27 2008, 09:44 PM) *

2.0s have 3 bolt intakes.....

1.8s have L-jet Fuel injection.....

Ah only 1 3 bolt intake... 2 w/4 bolts... one of the ones with 4 bolts has 2.0 heat exchangers though...
stateofidleness
heat exchangers are interchangeable through all displacements. never heard of anyone "downgrading" to the late exhaust though...
dw914er
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Sep 27 2008, 10:08 PM) *

heat exchangers are interchangeable through all displacements.

agree.gif

you could measure the ports for the exhausts, and find out that way, I think*.
Joe Bob
You can also look for engine block serial numbers.
r_towle
2.0 liter throttle body is the only one pointing up towards the sky.
the 1.8 and 1.7 are pointing towards the drivers side of the car.

3 bolt heads are typically 2.0 liter motors (heads can be swapped)
case serial numbers for the 2.0 liter are on the oil filler stand, just in front of the oil filler box on a flat part of the case.

1.7/1.8 liter case serial numbers are on top of the case about in the middle of the case.

Rich
orthobiz
2.0 (D-jet) v. 1.8 (L-jet)

the spout on the air cleaner is PARALLEL to the trunk margin in the D-jet engines.

the spout on the air cleaner points forward a bit and is NOT PARALLEL in the L-jet engines.

you can almost always see this in pictures of the engine, usually catches a piece of the rear trunk or the engine compartment lid.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.