Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The good news is I found the cause of my last two engine failures.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment

I have to try to locate a left side cam for a 1980 euro spec "S" before the Rocket City Ramble.

My left cam broke. The end must have spun so the mark was in the wrong phase.

I think when I assembled my second to last engine is when it broke. I had about 200 miles on it when it failed. I think the cam end broke and spun out of phase causing the right cam to go out of phase causing the valves to collide with the piston. Then I had the head repaired, changed the block and broken piston and didn't catch the cam trouble. I lined up the marks for the belt and tried to fire it up. The engine never even fired and I broke a piston cranking it with the starter.

So, I need a left side cam! My engine is a 1980 euro spec "S" M/28/11

I also need to do a leak down now. I may have bent valves in my fresh heads. dry.gif
PeeGreen 914
headbang.gif Ouch but at least now you know. aktion035.gif Now you can fix it and love it long time. laugh.gif
Gary
Frustrating - keep at it. Alien's a big inspiration. It'll be great to see her back on the road.
r_towle
Call
Jim at Easy.
or
DC AutoMotive

sorry to hear about it, but nice to finally know WHY is happened.
Rich
So.Cal.914
Bummer... sad.gif
Joe Bob
Yikes, makes my engine travails seem minor.....good luck.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 28 2008, 07:40 AM) *

Yikes, makes my engine travails seem minor.....good luck.

Thanks, Not too bad. It only cost me 3 engine blocks, destroyed a euro "S" head to the point of almost being unrepairable, pistons, rings, bearings and gasket sets at unobtainioum prices. I think once I get this sorted it will a good engine.
hcdmueller
I will talk with a porsche shop I know down the road on Tuesday. The guy always has some extremely high quality classic porsches in his shop. I am sure he has some sources but they are sure to be expensive. Is that the part number up on the first post?
jcd914
Ouch!

I helped a friend out with his 928 and he used 928 International as a source for many odd parts. They are in Los Angeles area. They were not the cheapest place but seemed to have the best selection of parts available.

Jim
r_towle
IC the real problem....you are missing 4 cylinders.
It should be a 12 cylinder motor....

Rich
SGB
AAAAAAAAAAArgh!

Thats awful....

sad.gif feelin for ya.
iamchappy
Got your message.. tough luck Alien Boy, not easy being from outer space.
I am sending you positive vibes Spaceman all will be good this time.
Ah Na Ba Trem Goo...

aUI the language of space-
I knew this guy(John W. Weilgart) back when i was a Hippie. He met Space Aliens down in Mexico when he was a little boy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AUI_(language)
Dr Evil
There is a guy local to me that has a stock pile of 928 engines, supposedly. I could look into it if you need.
Joe Bob
Just did a turbo replacement on the wife's Volvo wagon....farging POS rebuild leaks oil at the blow off. Arrrrrghhhhh......Sunday afternoon email and a WTF Beyootch to the rebuilder.....

Turbo City....I'll get back at ya on the results.
wbergtho
I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything is still straight.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Sep 29 2008, 06:01 AM) *

I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything is still straight.

agree.gif
No bent valves, no bent valves, no bent valves. sad.gif
ArtechnikA
Is Devek a bad name in this thread? A guy in the Sierra Nevada Region bought the original Calloway car and updated it to Euro-S specs with a lot of help (for which he paid dearly...) from Devek. They have a reputation as being the go-to guys on the west coast, but maybe your experienced have been different.

Web-Cam also seems to have a stock of cam parts, so they'd be worth a shout...
rick 918-S
It's like a nightmare that just keeps getting worse. On a hunch I did a leak down after removing the cams. (So all valves were closed) I never turned the engine over this time. After bolting the valve cover on, the broken cam locked up so I pulled it back off. Timing mark on TDC. Left head had at least 1 bent exhaust. The left head I installed with the timing pointer in the correct phase but the end of the broken cam was rotated out of phase.

The right head had 3 bent exhaust valves from when the last engine failed. During the last failure I posted questions extensively on the 928 boards. Everyone reasurred me the valves in my shaved heads couldn't have hit the pistons with the thick gasket. So I was convinced it was ok and didn't have them checked.

So much for non interference theory... Remember, I never even started the engine the last time. Only cranked it with the starter. These heads were fresh.

BTW: On a lighter note, I didn't find any "S" cams at the usual retailers. One of them stated if he had one it would be 650.00 and if he sent to germany for one it would be more...

So I sent my broken "S" cam and a good US cam to Berry Cams here in MN. He thought he may be able to weld the US cam and re-cut it to match the broken euro spec "S" for around $ 300.00! It sounded like he thought that was alot of money. Compared to unobtainium.... not so much.

So, I'm moving on to repair this thing, I already pulled the heads. Their on their way to the machine shop.

For those that don't know, a 4.7 US engine is 218 HP
The euro "S" 4.7 is 300 HP (which is what I started with)
The 5.0 Hybrid I'm building now I'm told makes 350HP This comes from the big 16 valve "S" heads, "S" cam profile, larger spyder and bigger throttle body of the "S" engine. The 350 is to the wheels in a 928 turning all the extras like AC pulley,PS pump, alternator, machanical fan, etc.

So the journey will be worth to outcome. I hope. idea.gif
r_towle
Holy crap!!!!

Sorry to hear about this...it sucks.

Rich
effutuo101
wow. That sucks Rick. good luck! You will have it back online in no time.
Katmanken
That really sucks.

I hope this works out for you.

Ken
iamchappy
I'm will still continue the good aUI Space vibes, we need to be cruising the highways in our cars together. Turbo car wants to have an encounter of the 3rd kind......
wbergtho
I made a call to my buddy in CA and left a message asking if he knows anyone with a pile of 928 engine parts. With any luck, I get a lead or two for you tommorrow. beerchug.gif You might consider having an alcholic beverage tonight before going to bed. I know all too well how you feel about this latest snag. beer3.gif
iamchappy
I'm having an alcoholic beverage right now so you wont feel like your drinking alone buddy.....
wbergtho
Chappy, are you drinking those new fangeled beers made in Brooklyn Center, MN? Personally, I haven't started yet...but will be at the bar in a few minutes to have a couple Jack & Cokes to simmer my worries about my 401K. sad.gif
iamchappy
Surley Furious for me Captain.
rick 918-S
Have one for me drunk.gif I'm working 7 days a week until the RCR. I have 25 estimates back logged to process and another 25 to inspect. blink.gif I'm not complaining... well maybe I am. dry.gif
iamchappy
Are you coming down to the cities anytime soon?
aircooledboy
Oooooof blink.gif (said while doing the old "boxer waistband pull").

Way to keep the chin up Rick. beerchug.gif
Back in my football playing days, I had a coach who always said if you get kicked in nuts enough times, you don't feel it anymore. I always thought he was just a crazy old guy, but after seeing you keep pushing through this cluster, I'm thinking he might have been right after all. blink.gif av-943.gif w00t.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 29 2008, 07:41 PM) *

Are you coming down to the cities anytime soon?

No plans to. Maybe after I shovel through my work and get this car sorted.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Sep 29 2008, 07:58 PM) *

Oooooof blink.gif (said while doing the old "boxer waistband pull").

Way to keep the chin up Rick. beerchug.gif
Back in my football playing days, I had a coach who always said if you get kicked in nuts enough times, you don't feel it anymore. I always thought he was just a crazy old guy, but after seeing you keep pushing through this cluster, I'm thinking he might have been right after all. blink.gif av-943.gif w00t.gif

Thanks Chris, I think.... blink.gif idea.gif And Hi buddy! bye1.gif Are you going to make the RCR?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.