Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AO engine code
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toddb67
I have a 1975 914-4. I checked my engine code the other day and saw that it was AO23451. I tried searching the 914 technical database but it doesn't even list an "AO" code for an engine of any year. I figured maybe somebody put VW type IV engine in the car but thesamba.com does not list an "AO" code for any VW's either.

Does anybody know what the hell engine I have? I was told by a previous owner that the WAS a 2.0 liter car but now I'm not so sure.
Mark Henry
VO is euro 914 could be 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0
AN is the high CR 1.8 914

AN and AT are 1.8 411/412 engines.

New replacement cases had no number so a PO or wrench could have put any old number on it.
914Sixer
I checked my information and I do not show an AO. There was an AN case for 1.8. Bus shows a AW for 1.8. There was a VO case that was magnesium for Europe. Does it have 3 bolt intake or 4 bolt? 4 bolt would make it a bus.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 28 2008, 10:59 AM) *

4 bolt would make it a bus.

Not if it's a 1.8
toddb67
I just went to the garage for another look and found an "F" in front of the "A". Oops! That makes it FA023451. I still do not see an "FA" engine code in the system. It looks like a factory stamping, and it is a 4-bolt intake. Anyone?
r_towle
Clean the F with a tooth brush and see if its really an E

Rich
Mark Henry
If Rich is right it's a 1.7 from a 914 or T4 (411/412)
Dave_Darling
It's gotta be "EA" and then a zero. 72-73 1.7 liter.

--DD
toddb67
You guys are good. Yes, it turns out that its a "EA" case. But I have the rebuild sheet so I know it has 1.8 pistons/cylinders in it along with a vanagon hydraulic cam. It sure runs great and has enough power for me. Thanks for the replies.
davep
So, the engine was originally a 1.7L from Feb 1972.
Most likely a 1.8L now if the piston are 1.8 size.
A Vanagon cam would not be ideal for making power though.
toddb67
It's got good low end power but really falls flat on the top end. But, I don't miss adjusting valves every 3000 miles!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.