Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 70 side shift conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,
I did this on my 72 years ago after fighting with the tail shifter for a few years.

My setup is using the sidshifter boot, but it has nothing to seal against at the firewall so it mainly just gets in the way...

Did anyone come up with a decent solution to protect that cone screw/u-joint???

Rich
SLITS
I never did ... just left it exposed. I suppose you could screw the boot to the firewall.
So.Cal.914
Hi, maybe you could use one of these shifter boots, make a ring and secure it to the firewall.

Cap'n Krusty
My first employment at an independent shop was At Porschop in LA. The bosses were well known innovators and "fixers" rather than parts changers. We did a side shift conversion in 1974. Vern Covert made a flange for the boot by welding tabs on an old 356 rear main bearing (cut in half) and affixed it to the firewall. The boot slipped right over it. If you can TIG weld, I think I can supply you with a used bearing.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 28 2008, 12:06 PM) *

My first employment at an independent shop was At Porschop in LA. The bosses were well known innovators and "fixers" rather than parts changers. We did a side shift conversion in 1974. Vern Covert made a flange for the boot by welding tabs on an old 356 rear main bearing (cut in half) and affixed it to the firewall. The boot slipped right over it. If you can TIG weld, I think I can supply you with a used bearing.

The Cap'n

So the fix is to make a flange like a 74...ok we can do that while the tub is stripped for Rockets new car...

I may be able to just remove the flange on his car...gotta go take a look.
I like having that boot, it keeps the cone screw from falling on the street...
Also keeps the lube in there.

I can make a flange or like you said, use a bearing...I have a few.
I was hoping someone came up with a simple boot from some other car that worked...oh well.

Rich
Phoenix-MN
Aug 1990 issue of Porsche Panorama covered this. I just made the parts for mine (Some dimensions were not correct) but it works well

Click to view attachment

Paul

r_towle
That should be in my upderfixen porsche books...any idea which volume that may be??? I suppose I could look through the index...hmmm

Rich

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Sep 28 2008, 01:10 PM) *

Aug 1990 issue of Porsche Panorama covered this. I just made the parts for mine (Some dimensions were not correct) but it works well

Click to view attachment

Paul

Phoenix-MN
"That should be in my upderfixen porsche books...any idea which volume that may be??? I suppose I could look through the index...hmmm

Rich"

I'm not sure what upfix'n volume it would be in, I guess it would be the one that covered Pano issues for 1990.

The dimensions for the eliptical plate are off and you will need to trim it to fit (like the article states).

The three washers you cut should be:
2.75" O.D 1.5" I.D (qty 1)
2.00" O.D. 1.5" I.D. (qty 2)

I found these dimensions to fit the boot much better. I used .190 aluminum sheet to make the parts.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.