Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it possible to remove the head without removing the engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mcashlv
I am trying to remove the drivers side head from a 1970 1.7 liter 914. The right rocker assembly was loose-- I wanted to take the head in for machine work, etc. But I now see that after unbolting the head that there isn't
enough body clearance to clear the bottom head studs. Only need about another 3/4 inch. Also, the jugs are loose after removing the head bolts--is this normal? Do I have to remove the engine? Or is there another way. I don't want to break anything...
swl
removing the engine is painless - you will probably save time by pulling it out.
davep
I'd strongly recommend dropping the engine & transmission as a package. It makes things SO much easier with less risk of causing more problems.
Yes, the heads keep the cylinders in place.
Sleepin
Follow McMark's directions: http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php

That will make it very painless!
r_towle
head studs stay in the case, they dont come out.
Cylinders are held in by the head, so yes they get loose when you remove the head.

Drop that side of the motorbar and tranny mounts (both) use a few jacks and you can get it low enough to remove the head.

Personally, I would suggest removing the engine, its about 2-3 hours work for your first time.

Rich
Twystd1
You can pull the head with the engine in the car. You have to lower the engine to do this.

You WILL HATE YOURSELF for it...

Pull da engine and trans as a unit. Ask for help here at the world site. I would venture to guess you could have a 914 BBQ and have a couple of locals come over for the eats.
With 2 guys... The engine will be out in an hour. Then you can address ALL the little things like cleaning the oil cooler. Cleaning the block, de-greasing the engine bay. Fixing loose wires and such. It is really a painless job to yank and engine tranny combo.

C
Twystd1
You can pull the head with the engine in the car. You have to lower the engine to do this.

You WILL HATE YOURSELF for it...

Pull da engine and trans as a unit. Ask for help here at the world site. I would venture to guess you could have a 914 BBQ and have a couple of locals come over for the eats.
With 2 guys... The engine will be out in an hour. Then you can address ALL the little things like cleaning the oil cooler. Cleaning the block, de-greasing the engine bay. Fixing loose wires and such. It is really a painless job to yank and engine tranny combo.
There are inumerable write up on how to do this. And you only need 1 specialty tool. Thats the CV joint bolts tool. And thats 10 bucks at dam near any v-dub shop.

Other than that.. It's just standard metric sockets and open end wrenches. Air tools not needed.

C
Rick_Eberle
I did it once... I wouldn't do it again...
It's SOOOOO much easier to drop the whole lot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.