Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using bondo to fill pad cracks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I read a thread a while back (back in the club days) about using bondo to fill cracks in the dash and suck.

For my dash, I'm just capping it. However, my targa pad is cracked, and I was thinking about this as an alternative. Does anyone have experience with it?

My guess would be to cut away the bad material and fill with filler in stages. What would then be used to paint or stain everything black again? Do I want to "seal" the crack with epoxy or some such first? How would I keep the foam and vynal to keep from pulling away from the body filler over time, creating a new, bigger crack?

Zach
iamchappy
I've used firm black seam sealer with good results.
Phoenix-MN
I used the flexible bumper filler on my dash but it was then covered afterwards

Click to view attachment

Paul
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 29 2008, 10:13 AM) *

I've used firm black seam sealer with good results.

Hey, thats an idea. I have a lot of that left over too....

Zach
smdubovsky
Zach, I've used a vinyl repair kit for my 911 dash. You work some of the goop down into the crack, cover w/ a matching texture pad, then add heat. Voila, almost indistinguishable. Its flexible too so should survive a little longer. If the crack is deep, you might want to fill w/ foam first.
r_towle
The foam is some polyeurethane blend.
If you can find a foam place (foamation.com) you can buy the two part foam, make a mold out of aluminum foil to contain it and pour new foam in the cleaned out crack.

the new foam will heat up the old foam and bond with it, then use the vinyl repair kit (if that is the route you are taking)

I would suspect that anything firm like bondo would fall out over time.

Rich
Sleepin
I just used Bondo's bumper repair kit to fix the targa seal on the 73. Actually really nice to use. The seal had 2 4" long flaps that were sticking straight up. The bumper repair kit comes in a 2 cylinder epoxy syringe. Just mix up and apply lightly, then sand it down to match. Two or three applications and now you can hardly tell that the tears were there. Fairly flexible, so I am confident it will last a while. We will see.
tracks914
I used 5 minute epoxy on a bunch of cracks, then painted it with vinyl paint to match. Looks good and hasn't re-cracked yet.
Dr Evil
Keyston Brothers makes a filler product:
http://www.keystonbros.com/markets.html#miscanch
You can call them to ask.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.