Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How impt.? Tierod wrench, tierod end puller
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
According to what I've read an end puller and wrench is necesary to install a turbo tie rod kit.

I'm a little confused with the purpose of the puller...I have already sepearated and removed the tie rods from the car. Is this puller kind of a fancy pickle fork to separate the end from the spindle arm? If so I don't want to waste money ordering it.

I haven't unswrewed the stock end that screws into the steering wrack...is this puller used here somehow?

Sounds like I need the wrench from threads I've read?
IPB Image
JRust
I didn't use a puller when I did mine. I did use a pickle fok for some part of it. Darned if I can remember why though. Mine came off fairly easy & you sure don't need them to install the new ones. Just use some PBblaster get the ends off the steering rack. You won't have any problems with them. I remember keeping the tie rod intact & just using it as my leverage to unscrew the end in the rack.

Of course I am a rookie when it comes to this & my memery kind of sucks on it. I am sure one of the pro's will chime in smile.gif
blitZ
The puller is used to separate the tie rod from the strut. Sounds like you've already accomplished that. Should be easy from here.
VaccaRabite
I bought the turbo tie rod kit from Pelican.

I did not need any special tool to remove the old rods or to install the new ones.

Zach
computers4kids
Cool....doesn't look like I need the 69 dollar puller.

Are you guys saying you didn't need the 42 dollar special wrench either???
Dave_Darling
You may need to take a belt sander to a cheapie wrench to make it thinner. Some people have needed thinner-than-standard wrenches, and that was a relatively cheap and easy way to do it.

--DD
JRust
I don't even remember using a special wrench for the steering rack side. I just used the tie rod itself with a small breaker bar to start it. Easy to get out after that. Just use the joint & get close to 90% down then use a small breaker bar with a little muscle mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.