Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TRW Valves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
I thought the price was a little steep when I dropped #3 valve seat!

Now I want to know whats in there and they cant give me any info on the TRW valves.

Anyone know the story with TRW? intakes and exhaust?

Pics of damage to follow....
Cap'n Krusty
They're OE, and probably the best of the currently available valves, IF you can find them. Valves are beginning to be difficult to find, just like rod bearings, thermostats, and the various grommets for the tin. The Cap'n
HAM Inc
For a stock engine they are still OE replacements as far as I know. They are probably fine if used as intended. To bad ATE valves are no longer availabe for stock replacement. TRW bought them out. For a while the valves had TRW and ATE on them, then just TRW.

The valve probably had nothing to do with the dropped valve seat. I'll bet it was an intake. The valve springs can actually contribute to this. If the engine is revved past the old springs ability to control the valves it is pretty hard on the seats. The valve will come down pretty hard on the seat and can hammer it until it loosens if the high revving is a regular occurance. Seen it many times!
cwpeden
When the engine was opened up it was found that all the guides were worn out. The history of the valves was unknown so new valves and guides were fitted. Springs are next.

As far the cause...guess I better find that old rev limiter...the car is an autocrosser. Been a little 'high' at times.

I dont blame the engine though, its the gearbox thats the problem ar15.gif

HAM Inc
Limiting the revs will slow you down. Better to set it up to handle the revs.
Worn guides and weak springs are a recipe for dissaster on these old engines!
Mark Henry
Rev limiter is just to save you from a blown shift, etc.
Using it as a "shift light" all the time is very hard on the main bearings.
cwpeden
I've hit it (floated valves) 3 or 4 times in a autox. Its those few times when it would take too long to shift and you dont want to coast.

Thats why I blame the trans.. I need 2nd and a half wink.gif

Or I need more stickum so I can go faster in the corners and of course better brakes....then I suppose more power to get up to speed....

Thats just what my wife needs to hear after the 2.5k bill for the new top end. wacko.giffighting19.gif

But thanks alot for your advice guys! I know deep down I need to make a few more mortgage payments (about 10 years worth) Then I'll be set for one of Jakes kits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.