Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield washer pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
I have a hose connected to my spare tire for the windshield washer fluid container. Does air from the spare tire pressurize the container in order to clean the windshield? And would I have an electric pump for the container. My windshield washer system is not working and I wanted to get started on that problem next. Thanks for the help.
seanery
yup, screw on the valve stem from your spare.
They work when they work, but it's a bad method IMHO.

An electric pump is in my future.
Rog914
Yes, the pressure from your spare tire makes the window washer system work on the 4 cyl, the 6 cyl have an electric pump. But be careful! The rubber hoses tend to dry rot & leak air or water after 30 some years. So you might have to replace your rubber hoses or switch to an electric water pump.

Ralph

74 2.0
415PB
Thanks, I will pick up an electric pump.
SirAndy
QUOTE(415PB @ Feb 6 2004, 08:01 PM)
Thanks, I will pick up an electric pump.

did the conversion myself.
unless you want to put big $$$ for a 914/6 washer bottle on the table, here's a tip on how to do it the cheap-o-way .... wink.gif

- get the aftermarket (914-6) electric pump.
- detach the hose from the black bottle-cap on your stock /4 washer bottle.
- drill a little hole in the cap. (about 1.5 mm).
- connect the lower hose to the suction part of the pump.
- connect the other side to the hose that goes to the jets.

voila!

you need to drill the little hole cause the normal hose attachment on the cap has a valve in it that doesn't allow air to flow in freely and therefore the pump wouldn't work well as it would struggle to get the water out of the bottle.

Andy

PS. if you have the wiper intermittent relay, you can hook up the pump to run with the wiper interval. i however just added a push button in the center console to run the pump separate from running the wipers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.