Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CD player shuts off when lights go on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
Today was the first time i drove my 914 at night, normally i don't listen to the cd player but decided to anyway. It was starting to get dark and the cd player was already on so i turn the headlights on and the cd player shutoff for a second and then turned back on. Why would this happen? The lights didn't seem dim or that any power was taking away from them by the cd player. Is there too much of a load on the battery to run the headlight motors and cd player at the same time? thanks everybody

Oh yea, and the drive was fantastic, every single time is awesome! Everytime i get out i wanna get back in!! Haven't found another car that has ever given me that same feeling!
Cap'n Krusty
Relay it directly to the battery. The Cap'n
SGB
If it is pretty high power, you should run a thicker (12 gage) from the battery with an in-line fuse that is dedicated to the sound system. IDK if that is the problem here, I kinda don't see it, but overloading the old wires overheats insulation create a smoking and melting event (ooow- always fun). sad.gif
angerosa
My guess is that the continuous power to the CD player is the same circuit that powers your driving lights. When you turn your lights on you temporarily interupt the circuit. In cars as old as ours there aren't too many continuous power circuits like in cars today. The caution/parking lights and some interior lighting when you open the door. That's all I can think of. I'll have to try it in my car to see if i get the same blip. Although i think i was turning my lights on and off this weekend when it was raining and I didn't notice anything.
turnaround89
Explain how to relay it directly to the battery, i am ok with simple wiring but adding relays is where i get lost?
Spoke
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Sep 30 2008, 12:50 PM) *

Explain how to relay it directly to the battery, i am ok with simple wiring but adding relays is where i get lost?

If you want to add a relay, here's a simple explanation:

Relay has 4 connections:

2 for the relay contacts: With 12V on the coil, the contacts close to make a connection from one contact to the other; with 0V on the coil the contacts open circuit

2 for the coil. Connect to 12V and the contacts close. 0V and contacts are open.

To rewire the +12V on your radio, run a heavy wire from the battery +12V through a fuse (in-line glass fuse or equivalent; probably 15A), other side of fuse goes to one relay contact.

Other relay contact goes to radio +12V.

One side of coil goes to ground. Any chassis connection will work.

Other side of coil goes to switched 12V that used to power the radio.

Done.

I suspect that the reason the CD turns off is there's some dirt or oxidation in the wiring, fuses, or, connectors behind the fuses, or grounds causing resistive voltage drop when lights+pop-up motors turn on.

Try this test:
When you turn on your lights, the pop-up motors also run causing heavier load than just the lights. Turn on lights to pop-up the lights, then back down to parking lights. Then turn on CD then turn on lights to see if just the lights going on causes the CD to stall.

If I were you, I would clean all electrical connections first before adding the relay:
1) disconnect battery NEG
2) drop relay panel
3) There's a 12V lug behind the relay panel where several heavy wires connect; remove lug and clean connectors with fine sandpaper; spray with contact cleaner; replace connectors & tighten lug.
4) Remove all fuses and clean contacts with fine sandpaper; spray with contact cleaner; including contacts on the relay panel.
5) On the back of the relay panel, remove wires from push-on spades ONE-AT-A-TIME and clean the spades and the connectors with fine sandpaper; spray with contact cleaner; and replace.
6) replace relay panel
7) Find all ground connections, remove wires and clean with fine sandpaper; spray with contact cleaner; replace connections.
8) disconnect & clean battery POS and reconnect
9) clean and reconnect battery NEG
10) Put on some Metallica, enjoy the music and driving.gif
turnaround89
Thanks, ill see if i can get it to work!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.