Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know how fast im going ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
So I got good fuel pressure now Im runnin great, but I got no speedo. 73 2.0 with stock wheels and tires I can run her up to 5k on the tach on a straightaway but I cant seem to get past 5. Is there any way to get to the red line. How fast am I going, any Ideas.
orange914
i know a cop with a freshly calibrated radar gun who'dd be happy to assit biggrin.gif
auerbach
that makes two of us. Did you think about a chase car?
Bruce Hinds
tough to get a straight answer..... someone should have a gear chart....
B
jsayre914
What is the top speed of a stock 914 73 2.0. Google dosnt know either. mad.gif
iamchappy
118 to 120 + or - speedometer error with stock profile tires. A long downhill grade will help get you there.
Tom
Doesn't matter as long as you win the race or don't get a ticket! Probably about 105. 3,000 is 70 in mine, but I have 195/55-15's and I know my speedo is about 10% off. If I remember from many years ago with stock tires and gearing, it was a little over 20 MPH per 1,000 RPM in top gear.
Tom
jsayre914
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 30 2008, 12:33 AM) *

Doesn't matter as long as you win the race or don't get a ticket! Probably about 105. 3,000 is 70 in mine, but I have 195/55-15's and I know my speedo is about 10% off. If I remember from many years ago with stock tires and gearing, it was a little over 20 MPH per 1,000 RPM in top gear.
Tom

105 ? that means the red line is the top speed? does that sound right? that means i should be able to get to the line right?
iamchappy
You wont get to see Redline in a stock 2.0 in 5th unless you push in the clutch.
familienauto
Well if you have a very long grade you could take it out of gear and coast. biggrin.gif

Yes, effectively, the red line is the top speed. Can you hit it on a flat grade? Don't know, haven't tried, and I doubt driving that fast is a very good idea.
iamchappy
I saw 120 on a long downhill grade in Utah but not Redline.
jsayre914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 30 2008, 12:49 AM) *

I saw 120 on a long downhill grade in Utah but not Redline.

shades.gif Cool.
LarryR
Duno I have 2 914's and have never had either of them above maybe 70 mph but never under their own power beerchug.gif

I will have one that runs some day beer3.gif
effutuo101
Go buy an I phone with the GPS. you can get mph or knots per hour. I do know that in my silver car, the wife was doing consistant 23.4 seconds per mile and a couple of 22.9 second miles. That was with flares and a 2.0 4 cyl car. Arizona and New Mexico roads.
She said the car settled down above 95.
Tom
I saw redline on my 75 1.8 back in 1981. Racing an Olds Toronado up I-5 just north of Bakersfield in March so it wasn't too hot. He was in front of me at 110 and I started getting little flecks of oil/water on my windshield. I pulled ip along side and tried to get him to see that he was nearing boil over or blow up. Ignored me, so I floored it and ran it up to redline. 125 at 5850. last I saw of the Olds was a cloud of steam in my rearview. Averaged 75MPH for that trip from San Diego to Frisco 35 MPG.
I have developed more useful brain cells now and would never do that again. Just too dangerous.
Tom
dw914er
my slightly modded 1.7 will hit 125 on a downhill at around 5 (but not redline).

But at that speed, you can feel the car floating on the road (casue it doesnt have enough downforce, so I've never hit redline)
hcdmueller
My stock 76 2.0 would hit a GPS confirmed 115mph on the autobahn with 195/55-15's on a flat stretch. That was just past redline. The oil temp went from around the half mark to maxed out in just over a mile.

Might be why it chewed up a cam bearing about 6 months later.

dw914er is right about the car floating. I have the big bumpers and you can feel the front and the rear lift at different times.
dw914er
a buddy of mine has a 3.0 6 in his 914-6. He raced a si (i think it was a civic si, or maybe something else) and beat him til 130, and he had to slow down to not lift off.
cwpeden
You guys would be suprized how much a repro LE or aftermarket airdam helps the lift off thing. Over 80-90 mph the car feels way better.

Before I was scared at 80 now it takes 110 biggrin.gif
carr914
You have to be careful and match front spoilers with some sort of spoiler wing on the rear to reach high MPH due to lifting. When I had my 2.5 914-6 I had a spoiler and dive planes in front, - no rear spoiler. Turn 14 @ Sebring, it would get scary loose over 110 and going into the braking zone after the back straight was a whole new experience. Now I would definately put a rear spoiler/wing to attempt high speeds.

T.C.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 30 2008, 01:01 AM) *

I saw redline on my 75 1.8 back in 1981. Racing an Olds Toronado up I-5 just north of Bakersfield in March so it wasn't too hot. He was in front of me at 110 and I started getting little flecks of oil/water on my windshield. I pulled ip along side and tried to get him to see that he was nearing boil over or blow up. Ignored me, so I floored it and ran it up to redline. 125 at 5850. last I saw of the Olds was a cloud of steam in my rearview. Averaged 75MPH for that trip from San Diego to Frisco 35 MPG.
I have developed more useful brain cells now and would never do that again. Just too dangerous.
Tom

125 in a stock 1.8L? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif bs.gif
Joe Ricard
Just cruising one day and decided to snap a pic.

Car is much faster

SLITS
126 confirmed by GPS. 5400 RPM, stock 2.0L w/ 195/55's chasing 3.2 & 3.0 L sixes.
jsayre914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 30 2008, 10:27 AM) *

126 confirmed by GPS. 5400 RPM, stock 2.0L w/ 195/55's chasing 3.2 & 3.0 L sixes.

beerchug.gif Thank you, so I still have more work to do if your 2.0 can hit 5400 ....
effutuo101
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Sep 30 2008, 01:46 AM) *

You guys would be suprized how much a repro LE or aftermarket airdam helps the lift off thing. Over 80-90 mph the car feels way better.

Before I was scared at 80 now it takes 110 biggrin.gif

I had the LE front spoiler and the rear duck tail on my car. the car actually felt like it got lower to the ground over 90 mph.
orange914
it always cracks me up looking at our 73 1.7 at the 150 m.p.h. speedo....

ooooow... biggrin.gif

i'm sure there are many of you guys' modified 6's out there that can acually take advantage of a 150 m.p.h. speedo. but a 4, from the factory, well kind of a sales gimmic biggrin.gif
Zundfolge
These are almost getting cheap enough to be worth it (wish they just made them in a simple LED instead of this backward one to reflect off the windshield)
Jeffs9146
Is there any way to get to the red line.

Seems to me that there was a revlimiter rotor sold for the 914 a while back. Maybe you have one?

charliew
redline is meant to limit the rpms of the motor. It usually doesn't mean the motor has enough power to pull the car to redline in the top gear. Most top gears in stock cars for the street have a ratio for overdrive which means it is not nessessarily the fastest gear for top speed it just reduces the rpms for economy and to have reduced wear on the motor and also to reduce the motor noise. Most low horsepowered motors have a higher top speed in 4th, the highest ratio below the overdrive ratio.
Joe Ricard
Yup I would bet your car could pull 5800 RPM in 4th gear which would get you about 110 MPH
jsayre914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 30 2008, 05:34 PM) *

Yup I would bet your car could pull 5800 RPM in 4th gear which would get you about 110 MPH

The thought makes me nervous. I never would of thought fourth gear would reach a higher speed than 5th gear. Not so sure I got balls enough to try. What is the saying. if it aint broke...

dont break it. biggrin.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(orange914 @ Sep 30 2008, 12:51 PM) *

it always cracks me up looking at our 73 1.7 at the 150 m.p.h. speedo....

ooooow... biggrin.gif

i'm sure there are many of you guys' modified 6's out there that can acually take advantage of a 150 m.p.h. speedo. but a 4, from the factory, well kind of a sales gimmic biggrin.gif

Though, it was 120 for the earlier models, which I've topped. Though, I must say, the 914 (my 914) feels really good til about 100+ mark, then gets really light.
TC 914-8
I'm coming in a little late for the topic But..... we were at the WCR08 in Isaquah last July and my car was missing and running on 1/2 it's cyclinders 4 of 8. So Troy AKA, clutch killer, and I shoved some carb cleaner down her throat and it seemed to help settle down the idle. So I had been indulging in the festivities abit beer3.gif So I figured who better to let drive my car than another Teener. I tossed the keys to Troy (C.K.) and he and proceeded to give it an ,"italian Tune up " Rev it up till all the crap comes out. So the point of my story, Ole Clutch Killer Troy had her wide open in 4th gear 6500rpm and we were seeing 110mph, nice and solid no floating or lifting. After that, she ran like a top smothe at idle and cruse . We were on a open hwy and could have hit 5th but we would have been on the other side of the Cascades before we knew it.
After that, know better than letting a guy named clutch killer drive my car. That was pushing it to it's limit but it was fun.
I know another V8 guy and he say's with a stock trans his will top out at 140. I'm not sure if he did it or calculated it.
Where I live now, if you go 5 over the limit you will get pulled over. So if I see 80 it's only for a few seconds.

T
brant
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 29 2008, 09:25 PM) *

So I got good fuel pressure now Im runnin great, but I got no speedo. 73 2.0 with stock wheels and tires I can run her up to 5k on the tach on a straightaway but I cant seem to get past 5. Is there any way to get to the red line. How fast am I going, any Ideas.

?
WFO
?
johannes
help yourself
auerbach
If you can get your hands on an iPhone or an iTouch there is an app called Dynolicious that would cure the problem. I just found it.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 29 2008, 10:25 PM) *

I have a spare hand held GPS you are welcome to borrow. it would cost you 4 AA batteries. Maybe not even that, if the ones in the unit are still good.

Just don't get killed during your testing.
Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(johannes @ Oct 1 2008, 05:21 AM) *

help yourself

Thanks a lot biggrin.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 1 2008, 12:51 AM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 29 2008, 09:25 PM) *

?
WFO
?

blink.gif Please dont laugh at me. Im not sure what u r asking. If you are asking???
jsayre914
biggrin.gif Confirmed 5k = 110mph GPS (thanks to vacca rabite) That is on a flat run. So I could easily imagine 120 redline on a down hill in 5th
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.