Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do i need the heater blower?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
turnaround89
I am trying to get as much off my car as possible and i don't plan on using the car in the cold, let alone drive in the cold, so can i pull the heater blower in the engine compartment without any worries?
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Sep 30 2008, 09:09 AM) *

I am trying to get as much off my car as possible and i don't plan on using the car in the cold, let alone drive in the cold, so can i pull the heater blower in the engine compartment without any worries?

Yes, you can. Make *sure* you cap off the wires correctly so they don't shorten out. The blower runs off the same fuse as the fuel pump ...
Probably a good idea to pull the blower relay off the relay board. It's relay #55, the one closest to the rear of the car.

Do you still have the J-tubes and stock HE's? if so, you can pull the J-Tubes and heater flapper valves as well.
Just block off the heater tube opening at the longs so you don't get any exhaust fumes inside the car.

bye1.gif Andy
turnaround89
I had some issues with the fuel pump and ran it on its own electrical circuit with an inline fuse to a switch, so you have to turn it on and off when you get in and out, so i shouldn't have to cap those wires then will I?

Awesome, i will try to pull off the other items you suggested, i don't have to replace any of these parts with something else, just block off the heat opening in the long right? thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Sep 30 2008, 01:46 PM) *

so i shouldn't have to cap those wires then will I?

confused24.gif

I don't think it's a good idea to have a hot 12V wire flapping around in your engine compartment.
shades.gif Andy
jhadler
Just make sure that if you're doing this for a competitive advantage in racing or autoxing, that it's actually a -legal- advantage. In some classes, removal or alteration of heaters might be disallowed...

RTR.

Just FYI...

-Josh2
turnaround89
I dont race, i just want the stuff that will never be used on my car off the car. Its really nice to have the extra room in the engine compartment with the blower not there. I live in the north so i get the best of all four seasons and only drive the car in spring summer and a little bit of fall, so i don't need heat, so why not just take the stuff off the car. How would removing the heating equipment make a car illegal in a racing class? Race cars don't use heat, do they?
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Oct 1 2008, 04:09 PM) *

Race cars don't use heat, do they?

Unless you run in a production class ...
shades.gif Andy
jhadler
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Oct 1 2008, 04:09 PM) *

...Race cars don't use heat, do they?

It's a matter of rules interpretation... If the heater system can be modified, some cars could exploit that to a larger advantage than others. In some, it's simply the removal of the heater core (for water pumpers). In a 914, you could shed the heat exchangers, the j-pipes, the flapper boxes, the fan, the tubes in the longs etc... That's a pretty big weight savings in a car that off the showroom floor was only just north of 2000#. You could also see it interpreted as allowing the removal of all dashboard ducting, a weight savings in nearly every car out there...

So, if the rules allow it (either by writing or by omission depending on the structure of the rules), then it's fair game. But if not, it's considered illegal and can be the basis for a protest...

That's all.

Since it's a street car, rock on. Do whatever you want to do!

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Let us know how it goes when youget caught is some crappy wether and your winshield fogs up.

I can tell you it sucks.
jhadler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 2 2008, 12:26 PM) *

Let us know how it goes when youget caught is some crappy wether and your winshield fogs up.

I can tell you it sucks.

Rain-X on the outside... Fog-X on the inside...

-Josh2
turnaround89
I know what its like being stuck in crappy weather with a car that doesn't have heat, i own a baja bug as well and there is no heat. The ice sraper works well. Thanks for all the help everybody, i still need to remove a couple more htings with the heater but i am also waiting on getting my alternator fixed/replaced!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.