Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: VW techs... AKA Capt'n
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So my buddy asked me to change out his front up control arms for him. Any tips or shortcuts on this job? I was told the book time is 2.5 a side. Is that right? Why?
Mark Henry
Top 2 or bottom or all?

Top 2 are not as bad as the book says as you can undo the top of the strut and drop it down and sneak the arms in. less than 1hr/side.

I haven't done the bottoms yet, maybe the crusty one will chime in.
ejm
At the dealership I would do all 8 arms and the sway bar links in less than 2 hours. The lower arms to the subframe should be tightened with the wheels on the ground or they will fail early from excessive tension on the rubber.

PeeGreen 914
I am just doing the top two. Anything I need to look for or any special tools I may not have on hand? I didn't think the time the book gave was close but they never really are. I really hate the little jobs that they only give .5 hr when it takes about 45 minutes. I'm glad I don't work flat rate anymore.

Thanks for your help guys. You guys have made my side jobs much easier for me biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Top uses one thru-bolt to lock the outside joints on to the strut, it can be a bear but it will come off. The inside rubber part has the same issue ejm was referring to on the lowers, but just put it back the same orientation as the old ones and it will be fine.
PeeGreen 914
So nobody told me you wouldn't be able to get the bolt out of the front arm without pulling the strut confused24.gif

Thanks for all your help. Ended up getting it done in an hour and a half. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.