Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Exhaust Manifold Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1988Hawk
I need some advice. What is the best method for removing the old copper exhaust manifold seals. I don't want to damage the head.

Thanks
Jim
dbgriffith75
just use a straight blade screwdriver to gently pry at the seal- work it for a few minutes and the seal will drop without damaging the head
Gint
agree.gif You can bend the tip of an old butter knife 90 degrees and use that also to catch a edge of the gasket.

It's really not that hard. Once in a while you'll get one that's stubborn, but they all come out.
Bruce Hinds
After you replace them, make sure you use the copper nuts on the studs. I'll say that again, make sure you use the copper nuts!
Bruce
arvcube
a right-angle tip pick always works for me...
sww914
Before installing the new copper rings I like to anneal them. I heat them until they're a dull red and let them cool. It softens the copper and makes it more likely that they will seal.
Bartlett 914
This was discussed here also.

Here

angerosa
QUOTE(arvcube @ Oct 3 2008, 02:48 AM) *

a right-angle tip pick always works for me...

That's what I used. Make sure you get them all out. I found a previous mechanic had put two seals in one side to account for lower worn threads on the studs. I took out the double seals and replaced studs. It never seems to be a straight forward repair on a 914.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Oct 2 2008, 10:29 PM) *

After you replace them, make sure you use the copper nuts on the studs. I'll say that again, make sure you use the copper nuts!
Bruce

Ummmmm................, they're not copper. Unless someone has developed copper that you can pick up with a magnet. The factory DID NOT use lock nuts, and they didn't have problems with the nuts coming loose. The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Don't the factory nuts have a slice in the side to provide the self-locking action?

--DD
jim_hoyland
What do you torque the copper nuts to ?
Mark Henry
I've always found the copper (coated) split nuts welded themselves to the stud and bunged up the threads or pulled the studs when removing them.
I never use them, I have a stash of 12mm german nuts that I use. I also use factory exhaust nuts from a V8 Audi.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 3 2008, 08:44 AM) *

Don't the factory nuts have a slice in the side to provide the self-locking action?

--DD

No. The Cap'n
Cevan
The copper (looking) nuts I used were slightly ovalized. Got them from AA.

The other question is how to hold the new gaskets in place while you install the exhaust manifold. Last time I used a couple of drops of Superglue to hold them on the head. There must be another way.
Gint
I like to stretch them the slightest smidge so that I get a friction fit into the recess in the head. It takes some time and patience to get them fit, but it works every time.
Dave_Darling
I push them up into the recess in the head, then twist them until the ends of the oval are touching the edges of the recess. The friction seems to hold them in place just well enough to get the exhaust in place.

Except when the exhaust tubes were tweaked, but that's another story...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.