Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: targa top weights??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I just noticed that the targa top on my '74 is much heavier than the top on my '71. I had never realized there was a difference. Is this well known amoung the "makin' my teener lighter crew"?? They both have a head liner and seem the same other than the weight. Is the early top a glass lay up and the later an SMC or something?? Dang....now I need to find an early top for my 74!
Brad Roberts
Hum.. I need to look into this. I thought I had experienced the same thing. I think the early tops are thinner in material than the later tops.

B
Gint
I've noticed it also. 72 and earlier tops (even with headliner and everything) are ligghter than 73+ units.
brant
this is a timely thread...

I just took a 72 and an electric grinder with 36grit... and made my 72 very light... (cut out all of the bracing too)

brant
Elliot_Cannon
Maybe the factory made them heavier for a reason. Anyone have trouble with earlier tops because of some structural weakness? Maybe they are quieter?
Cheers, Elliot
Uncle Richy
Hmmm, that explains it. When I bought my '73 (built 9/72) the top had a crack running across it from side-to-side. I replaced it with one from a '74 and have had no problem.
<_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.