Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fun
When I got my 914 it had no heating system. Im thinking of rigging somthing. Where dose the heater fan draw air from? Surely not from the engine bay. Shouldnt it draw from the cab?
SirAndy
QUOTE(914fun @ Oct 3 2008, 07:58 AM) *

Surely not from the engine bay.

Engine Bay it is ...

shades.gif Andy
Cevan
The heater fan is mounted in the engine bay and does draw air from that area. However, fresh air is being drawn in from the engine lid. I had mine cranked this morning (it was in the 40's) on the way to work and smelled nothing, nor did I feel in the least bit sleepy. biggrin.gif

I would suggest not rigging something up. You should be able to find all the parts used from members on this forum. You may have some of these parts already on your car.

Do you have heat exchangers on your car now? Is there anything connected to the two outlets on them?
914fun
Seems like there would be some funny smells. Just seems strang .
914fun
QUOTE(Cevan @ Oct 3 2008, 11:03 AM) *

The heater fan is mounted in the engine bay and does draw air from that area. However, fresh air is being drawn in from the engine lid. I had mine cranked this morning (it was in the 40's) on the way to work and smelled nothing, nor did I feel in the least bit sleepy. biggrin.gif

I would suggest not rigging something up. You should be able to find all the parts used from members on this forum. You may have some of these parts already on your car.

Do you have heat exchangers on your car now? Is there anything connected to the two outlets on them?

I have no exchangers. only thing I can see that is there is the switch on the floor and I dont think it has any of the wires. kant find the wires in the engine bay. A bit of a mess.
914fun
can't not Kant. Sorry! I have a oil cooler mounted in the finder (not hooked up). I was thinking of making a shrowd for it and geting a fan and blowing air across it and into the cab. Im not going to drive it when its real bad out but. But at this time of the year it would be nice to have a little heat.
davep
Nothing beats a stock (well, SSI) heat exchanger system for cabin heat.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 3 2008, 10:47 AM) *

Nothing beats a stock (well, SSI) heat exchanger system for cabin heat.

Yup. With SSIs, I don't even need the heater fan. Once the engine is up to temperature, I get PLENTY of heat from the system. Too much in lower gear sustained cruising, in fact...

With the fan, well, that'd be a LOT of heat! blink.gif

pete
davep
The engine compartment heater fan is actually a booster fan useful for when the engine is idling. Once the engine RPM's come up, it opens the small flaps on the fan shroud and delivers lots of air into the heat exchangers.
I have already started using the heater in my car to clear the windshield in the mornings, and couldn't drive without it.
914fun
Thanks guys. does ssi mean stock? It is my goal to go stock. Its going to be a long time before I can come up with the dollers. I will not use it much and the car has a lot of problems that need the $ thrown at first. You have convinced me to go stock in the end. I'll collect a little at a time. Thanks again.
swl
ssi are replacement for stock - made of stainless instead of tin so they last forever. Functionally they are identical.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.