Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternatives Using Stock Steering Wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
i have a decent wheel that I can probably sew a wrap on and refinish the spokes...justthe center horn assembly doesn't go straight; it's like 45 degrees off from the wheel spokes and no matter how I try to screw it on it ends up off.

The thing is ugly too...so I saw a wheel once that was a stock wheel with a round center cover.

Is there any wheel I can use without getting a hub?

or it there anything I can do to the stock wheel to make it work and look better?

Not too concerned about a horn; have another push button on the dash.

Thanks
r_towle
Super beetle and 356 c and sc have the same splines on the hub that mounts to the steering shaft. So, they fit with no hub.

That opens it up a bit for shopping.
You can also get a grant wheel...

Rich
7TPorsh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 3 2008, 01:16 PM) *

Super beetle and 356 c and sc have the same splines on the hub that mounts to the steering shaft. So, they fit with no hub.

That opens it up a bit for shopping.
You can also get a grant wheel...

Rich

So wheels for a Super Beetle or 356 c,sc would work with the existing hub?

Probably nothing nicer there. The grant has a splined hole that bolts directly to the 914 hub? blink.gif

Is that a Grant above? looks like a Nardi...and it looks like you have a different hub.
r_towle
My wheel has a momo hub its a motolita copy.
Look on ebay...made and sold in Japan.
The 356 C and SC, not the A or PreA have the same splines on the steering shaft. The wheel fits no hub...

You will need to figure out blinkers and see if they hit...

The thing to think about is this.
Take off your wheel, turn it over...look at the part that is riveted onto the wheel...that part can and does come off the wheel.
The same part is on a late beetle wheel (cheaper to get)
That part allows you to buy ANY wheel...that is your hub.
BTDT many times with wheels for 356 or 914 cars.

Drill out the rivets, machine the next wheel to accept the part.

Rich
Todd Enlund
Early 911 has the same splines too, but the wheels won't fit.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 3 2008, 08:54 PM) *

Early 911 has the same splines too, but the wheels won't fit.

Yes, it will. The only difference is the tapered plastic piece that attaches to the back of the wheel. It is made to adapt the 911 wheel to the VW column. All you do is take off the 911 cancel cam, and replace it with the tapered plastic piece.

Been there, done that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.