Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cam shaft D-jet combination
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
My sons and I have been working on a engine combination now for the winter. The combination is the following:
Bore= 96mm Stroke = 78mm KE Pistons with bored european Mahle cylinders. Demelio welded counter weighted crank.
Head work: 48mm intake and 38mm exhaust. Polishing of intake ports without increased size except for port matching. Ported exhaust with removal of guide boss and widing of port as well as port matching and polishing.(hopefully I can attach pictures).
We will be using a 2.0L D-jet and modify the MAP sensor and the CHT resistance. If need, will bore out the Throttle body as well (undecided). Using stock 2.0L injectors (Green (2.0L) - 380 cc/min @ 2.0 Bar, 3V, 0.15 mm ± 0.05 mm lift from Brad A site) with increased and stablized fuel pressure.

Information thus far:
Most agree that a Web Cam #73 will work well with D-jet and up to 2.1L displacement, yeilding smooth idle and good low to mid torque(Geoff).
From the information I can obtain the #73 has a duration of 262° with a center lobe of 108° with IO 23° IC 59° EO 59° and EC 23°. I hear of no problems with exhaust cooling. Thus an overlap of 46° is tolerated well.
However, moving to a 86 cam has a duration of 270° and the 91 with a duration of 265° does not work with D-jet.
Ray, you have previously said that a little overlap is helpful for D=-jet to prevent the stacking up in the intakes. Is that equal duration overlap? Is that the same ratio as stock overlap 12° and 4°?
If this data is correct, It would seem D-jet can tolerate 46° of overlap without loss of idle but if increased duration widens the overlap then D-jet will not tolerate the duration.
Where am I missing the crux?
I also have not received input regarding if there is a cooling advantage with split duration cams.

Thanks again,
L. McChesney and The Guys
P.S.: I received a PM from C. Navarro. He believes that the limiting factor is the intake runners and plenum. Predicts no greater than 120hp possible with stock plenum/runner/TB compoents.
LM
Brad Roberts
Just from some simple numbers we ran (no dyno time) the stock 2.0 plenum/runners will support 180hp without issue. They can move a lot of air. I cant answer your cam questions. I have never tried to use a "off the shelf" cam with a 2270 combo with those valve sizes and a DJet setup. I honestly dont think there is enough adjustment in the pressure sensor to cover the big differences in the requirements of a 2270. You will end up with lean spots in the RPM range which will in turn end up with burnt pistons. We do a ton of tuning on stock injected 2.0 engines and know the limitations.

I think the system will work, but I dont think you will fully get everything out of the 2270 that you could possibly get.

B
McMark
You will sacrifice power to keep D-Jet (or do enough time / custom work to warrant just buying aftermarket FI).
Bleyseng
What about going to the V8 Mercedes injectors to move more fuel? The MPS measures the manifold vacuum and then via inductance adjusts the injectors.
Larger injectors might work as this is what they did to go from 1.7 to 2.0l. The MPS's are not THAT different in adjustments mostly WOT mix.
As I understand it, wilder cams have a lower idle vacuum which is what throws the MPS off. 15hg is what a MPS reads as idle, around 4 hg is partload (crusing) 0hg is WOT (balls to the wall).
You only have a set range of inductance adjustments to fit this motor. If I remember right, I was able to get about a 11 to 1 mix at WOT on my 2.1L. The jump to a 2.3l is pretty big cuz of the stroke increase.

Geoff
lmcchesney
Thanks Guys,
Ray Green says that the larger injectors have problems with excessive richness at less than WOT.
B. Anders site data puts the 2.0L green injectors at 315cc/min used in the 2.0L setup, but the injectors are capable of 380cc/min. Therefore, this should provide adaquate fuel mixture at 2.256L which my combo is.
I can't get a fix on the overlap discussion. Overlap is bad with D-jet but others say some overlap helps prevent the pile up on the intake valve and smoothes out the vacuum signature. The information on the #73 if accurate is a 23 to 23 degree overlap, but the duration is limited to 262. Jake says essentially all of his cam use a split duration with prolonged exhaust duration and e even some increased valve lift.
L. McChesney
Bleyseng
I have never read or heard of anyone running a 2.3 with the Djet. Sure the MB injectors are going to be way rich on a 2.0l but you should be able to tune the MPS so the MB injectors run fine at idle and partload. At WOT is where you will need all the gas you can get so you don't run lean.
Dave Darling should have the specs on these things, he remembers all this stuff.

Didn't Jenny's brother Jeff go to the MB injectors on his turbo 914?

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.