Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reply to ad on CL
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
I asked a seller for a phone number to call about a VW on CL. This is the reply I received:

I don't send strangers my home address without an idea of when to expect them otherwise they take it as an open invitation to come pound on my front door whenever they please.

I no longer send strangers my telephone number when selling a bargain because they often turn out to be stalkers who call my home 10, 50, 100 times in a row or until I am forced to call the authorities.

So again as my ad clearly states: Email your specific questions. I will answer them. When you are prepared to come have a look just email and ask to come to my home when you are actually available and ready to do so. I will then send you my address IF the vehicle is still available at that time.

If you require a telephone conversation may I suggest you send me your telephone number and the best time to call you.

And finally if at any time you should feel yourself becoming indignant by the way I choose to conduct my sale then feel free to shop elsewhere without notifying me.

Thank you for your interest.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 4 2008, 12:11 AM) *

I asked a seller for a phone number to call about a VW on CL. This is the reply I received:

I don't send strangers my home address without an idea of when to expect them otherwise they take it as an open invitation to come pound on my front door whenever they please.

I no longer send strangers my telephone number when selling a bargain because they often turn out to be stalkers who call my home 10, 50, 100 times in a row or until I am forced to call the authorities.

So again as my ad clearly states: Email your specific questions. I will answer them. When you are prepared to come have a look just email and ask to come to my home when you are actually available and ready to do so. I will then send you my address IF the vehicle is still available at that time.

If you require a telephone conversation may I suggest you send me your telephone number and the best time to call you.

And finally if at any time you should feel yourself becoming indignant by the way I choose to conduct my sale then feel free to shop elsewhere without notifying me.

Thank you for your interest.

Sounds like he REALLY doesn't want to sell the car....... slap.gif
rick 918-S
jerkit.gif
Tom
That reply would kill the deal for me! Even if it was a good deal otherwise.
Tom
sww914
driving-girl.gif bananabang.gif mueba.gif finger.gif biggrin.gif
LowGT
I feel like that with CL people most the time. My last couple experiences have been very crappy (2 bought items, 1 sold item). I've decided to take a break from CL because of this. . . . unless there's a really good deal. smile.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 3 2008, 10:25 PM) *

jerkit.gif

agree.gif
Joe Bob
CL=Cranky Losers....
Rusty
Got the link to the ad? We can all email him... hehehehehe
tronporsche
Well ,I couldnt resist. I had to look , but don't see in my area, therefore, I have to guess it is not him.(after that kind of talk, and telling me he wants a Porsche instead, it better not be him ! ) I told a guy today of 914 world , he wants to trade his 71' button rag top with re-built engine for a 914 , after a discussion. Oregon is far from Cali, but I really think this VW might be worth your checking into. the engine is chromed out and borded.( it is not installed)chrome in engine bay. Nice Fuchs and tires. I did see some rust, and frame has been changed. If you are interested, let me know, and I will get you two together.
Dr. Roger
....if at any time you should feel yourself becoming indignant by the way I choose to conduct my sale then feel free to shop elsewhere without notifying me.

Sounds like you already did. ;-)

boxstr
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/865754040.html

You can see the vw at this link.
computers4kids
Well, in this guys defense...there are a lot of idiots out there who respond to craiglist ads...it's the last place I like to sell, but I do buy there. Yeah, the guy is a bit of a jerk, but perhaps he is tired of getting yanked around and tires kicked. Some of the "stalker" comments is probably pretty accurate.

Although, he could of left out all the rest and just asked Craig for his phone number...no need for theatrics.

We know Craig is not a "stalker" laugh.gif
scotty b
LOCATION: I had it out on the street corner for everyone to see at thier convenience but some bad apples were messing with it so now I am showing it from my home only where I can keep an eye on her.

By his language I would guess the guy to be 100 + y.o. When was the last time you heard someone refer to hooligans as " bad apples " ? Yup stagecoach era slits.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 4 2008, 09:02 AM) *

By his language I would guess the guy to be 100 + y.o. When was the last time you heard someone refer to hooligans as " bad apples " ? Yup stagecoach era slits.gif

No, thats just the way we talk up here. laugh.gif
Mr.C
Just meet them at the grocery store parking lot. That's what I do. Nobody needs to know where I live unless they actually buy the car.
BIGKAT_83
From the pictures it looks like a hell of a good buy. Might be worth the trouble.

Bob
r_towle
Craig, you of all people should know...the VW crowd is full of loads of tire kickers. I always dread selling a bug...I end up getting 50 calls, 20 "appointments" and no one ever shows up...

Just do it his way, that is to good of a deal.

Rich
tronporsche
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 4 2008, 11:32 AM) *

From the pictures it looks like a hell of a good buy. Might be worth the trouble.

Bob
yeah, it does sound like a pretty good deal, If you really like it, I would go ahead and get it, and than after the final deal seal, tell him about himself.
Rav914
Yeah, great deal. Original license plates too. Would love to have a set of those for my '70 idea.gif .
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 4 2008, 01:35 PM) *

Craig, you of all people should know...the VW crowd is full of loads of tire kickers. I always dread selling a bug...I end up getting 50 calls, 20 "appointments" and no one ever shows up...

Rich

That's because many of them are still stoned biggrin.gif
Gint
Yeah, I can understand where he's coming from. Especially selling low dollar cars, I've been left standing around waiting for someone to show up many times. In fact the no shows outweigh the people that do by something like 3 to 1.

You should just send the guy your phone number and arrange to buy the thing. Looks like a great deal if it's as described.
r_towle
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 4 2008, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 4 2008, 01:35 PM) *

Rich

That's because many of them are still stoned biggrin.gif

Im sorry, what are we talking about? I forgot.... biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
laugh.gif
championgt1
Looks like he pissed someone else off too.

Flagged for removal.

Gint
laugh.gif I thought we had all the drama...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/866616083.html

Craig, you should have a look at this sweet ride:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/858794776.html
Spoke
I agree with his premise although there's no need to rail on someone about a pet peeve. He could have just said the following:

If you would like to talk, please send me your telephone number and the best time to call you.
boxstr
Gint Thanks that is one sweet looking ride. Those things are a real boat, the front end is in a different state than the backend most of the time.
I may have to check that one out.
CCLINDONK
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 4 2008, 05:38 PM) *

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 4 2008, 08:45 PM) *

Gint Thanks that is one sweet looking ride. Those things are a real boat, the front end is in a different state than the backend most of the time.
I may have to check that one out.
CCLINDONK
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 4 2008, 05:38 PM) *

I bought a '63 four door with suicide doors about 7 years ago for $500. I have to drive it homewith a bad radiator but I got it home fixed it up and sold it for $10k. Sweet cars. I love the look of them and wish I had never sold it. Although if not for that car I would not have my 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.