Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT? 2.0 head tin vs 1.7/1.8 tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoolAirVw
I'm considering a "Cali" style conversion for my bug using my 2.0 bus engine that I rebuilt several years ago. This would be a nice option for me because I invested bunches of money in the parts for the engine and its just sitting there on a shelf. I have some 1.7 (or 1.8???) tin on a parts car.

Whats the difference between 2.0 head tin and 1.7/1.8 head tin?

Is there a VW / Porsche difference as well?

Also, what about 914 tin on VW motor, and vice versa? I think the VW oil fill "stand" is taller correct? Does the oil fill "stand" get in the way of porsche tin?

I'm hoping I can make the the 1.7 or 1.8 tin work since I'm going to be cutting them up anyway. Maybe I can drill new holes for the spark wires, and make the 1.7 tin work on my 2.0. I dont think my 2.0 has the "porsche" 2.0 heads so would the spark plug holes be in the same location as the 1.7 & 1.8 tin?

sww914
All of the VW heads including the 1.7 & 1.8 914 engines have the spark plugs facing almost straight up. The 914 2.0 heads have the spark plugs facing towards the outside of the car. The holes in the tin correspond.
You can weld up the wrong holes and cut new holes wherever you want. I don't remember the VW oil fill stands enough to say if there's any difference between some van motors and the 1.7's, 1.8's and 2.0's used in 914's but all of the 914 cases are interchangeable. Some engine cases have better alloys than others but none of them are really bad like the 911 2.7 mag cases pulling head studs on nearly very engine, for instance.
Dave_Darling
I believe the Bus tin has a different shape to the outside edge than the 914 tin does, as the engine compartment in a Bus is a slightly different shape than that in the 914. You'll likely be doing some cutting and filling to the edges anyway, though, so no big deal.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.