Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long should this take?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
I got a bug in the computert that keeps putting on popups that my pop up blocker will not stop. Im running full scan with windows defender and its been going fo 45 minutes. huh.gif
jmill
There's some new nasty stuff out there. My laptop is hung up with the same thing. I clicked the always block button and now the laptop is hung up with attempting to block the intrusion. Time to update your virus software. The one that got my laptop is called virtualmonde or something like that. I'm hoping I wont need to reformat.
YksKrad
check your registry for odd entries... (and always keep a backup of a good/untainted registry just in case something like this happens.)

For a decent free anti virus... Look up adaware by lavasoft.

Most antivirus software is worthless, so don't expect any of it to work, but you may get lucky and it may be something a few months old.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Oct 4 2008, 09:01 PM) *

I got a bug in the computert that keeps putting on popups that my pop up blocker will not stop. Im running full scan with windows defender and its been going fo 45 minutes. huh.gif

You run IE or Firefox? I'd suggest trying Firefox if you haven't already, once you get things cleaned up.
Todd Enlund
Oops. I accidentally hit the <back> button.
swl
couple of things.

Pop up generators are often a different category than virus. They are closer to that category called spyware. Normally they arrive on your computer as a result of installing 'free' software - peer to peer file transfer is notorious for that as are some of the 'drivers' required to access some web sites. Some of the tool bars being distributed also carry some hidden payloads. Anti-virus software vendors won't include spyware/pop up in the virus category for fear of being sued. They have made a new category called 'malware' but you must opt in.

adaware is good. But beware of others, particularly those that pop up in an unsolicited fashion and warn you that your computer is unprotected. What better way to get at your computer than to offer to protect it for free.

If it is a true virus it will frequently disable the anti-virus software so that it can continue to hide even if you run a deep scan. If Defender does not find it boot in safe mode with network support and go to one of the online health check sites. My preference is ESET http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

imho defender is one of the ugliest of the malware products. If you want efficient and lightweight have a look at nod32. That being said, if you are running vista it is a realy pita to get rid of microsoft protection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.