Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body and fender guy's...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I am starting the body work. I am taking pieces off and working on them individually ( trunk lid, hood, doors etc ). stripping them to the metal, fixing what I can and then priming them.

I am going to use a spray on body filler.

Question is, should I shoot the individual parts and put them back on or put all the primed pieces back on and shoot body filler once the car is back together?

I'm thinking I should do the later.

Thank's, Keith

r_towle
Shoot what is ready.
when you are ready for the next step spray a sealer on everything. The sealer will ensure the next steps all look the same.

Rich
scotty b
Spray filler will require a gun with a MINIMUM tip size of 1.7 I have a special gun made just for it, that has a 2.1 tip. Make certain you have the necessary tools and knowledge before buying the filler. I would also recommend roughing in all of your body work first with mud. Spray filler is great when used properly but be forwarned it IS NOT made to fill in dents or buckles. It is best used over top of roughed in bondo to fill scratches and help to level. It also hardens VERY quickly so don't add the catalyst until you are absolutely ready to spray it, don't dilly dally and have you gun cleaning equipment ready before you start to mix.
r_towle
Scotty, you da man here.

What gun cleaning equipment would you suggest (not an automated spray cabinet)
Something the average guy can actually find and buy???

I have lost two guns now due to areas inside the gun getting built up paint...the last one I took apart between mixes...dunked all of it in thinner, I sprayed thinner right through the gun...a whole load...
Still lost the gun after a few paint job...

I must be doing something wrong...

Rich
scotty b
I just use laquer thinner, I also dissasemble and clean my guns after EVERY use. 4 years old and aside from a wear mark from holding them and the cups being scratched up they look almost brand new. smile.gif
scotty b
Oh as far as equipment just go to your supply shop and ask them for a set of gun cleaning brushes. Astro pneumatic I believe is who makes it.
rick 918-S
I'm really out of touch. Spray filler? I can't see where this is an economical method of application. I could see my guys mixing and dumping that stuff out by the cup full everyday. Solvent usage, gun cleaning time, WTF.gif ? who came up with that brain fart?

Is is good stuff? Is it productive? Come, the truth.

BTW: If it requires more that a urothane primer you need to fix the dent.
sww914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2008, 09:31 PM) *

I'm really out of touch. Spray filler? I can't see where this is an economical method of application. I could see my guys mixing and dumping that stuff out by the cup full everyday. Solvent usage, gun cleaning time, WTF.gif ? who came up with that brain fart?

Is is good stuff? Is it productive? Come, the truth.

BTW: If it requires more that a urothane primer you need to fix the dent.

Me too.
The only sense I can make out of it is that it must be like thick primer that dries really fast. No need for glaze and maybe it dries in 15 minutes? I could see that making me some money if that's how it is. Overspray? Woo hoo, that could make a mess!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 5 2008, 04:09 PM) *

Spray filler will require a gun with a MINIMUM tip size of 1.7 I have a special gun made just for it, that has a 2.1 tip. Make certain you have the necessary tools and knowledge before buying the filler. I would also recommend roughing in all of your body work first with mud. Spray filler is great when used properly but be forwarned it IS NOT made to fill in dents or buckles. It is best used over top of roughed in bondo to fill scratches and help to level. It also hardens VERY quickly so don't add the catalyst until you are absolutely ready to spray it, don't dilly dally and have you gun cleaning equipment ready before you start to mix.

Does if work (sand) like green?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.