Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Annual Virgina Breakfast Wrench & Suds - Nov. 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
root
I PM'd Ken today and decided to hold another VBWS.
VBWS = Virginia, Breakfast, Wrench, and Suds

When:
Saturday November 1st 2008

Where:
MATSYS, Inc, Sterling, VA (http://www.matsys.com/)

Theme:
Same as the earlier one's... cut, weld, grind, wrench, suds, sausage, and kraut.

Details so far:
We'll meet in the morning at Amphora's Diner in Herndon at 8AM and open the shop in Sterling at 9AM for the rest of the day.

The focus project will be the "Zymurgist Beer Mashmaster Modification" beer.gif .
According to the brew-master this project will include keg hole drilling, hose and fitting assembly and frame assembly.
As always any other 914 related wrenching, part swapping, etc.... is welcome.

I'll furnish the Sausage and Kraut, same cooks as last year, Charlie and Kyle.

I need a head count...... Who's In? idea.gif
jimkelly
saturday in nova - perfect

plas76targa
I'm in ... but after 10/19.. tied up both the next two weekends. Would be nice to gather again so soon!

I'm such a Maroon. I just re-read the first post. 11/01 is tenative for me.. only cause 11/02 is our anniversary, and you have to honor the one who said "I do" to me!
zymurgist
Sweet!

chowtime.gif beerchug.gif
angerosa
Count me in!
slackin' at work
aw, man.
I'll be in Oregon for a wedding.

have a few beer3.gif for me. just know when to say when. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I should be able to play. Probably not breakfast, though. Too far,and far too early.

Zach
plas76targa
Zach, come down Friday night to Frederick. It's less than a hour from here to Root's. And bring the good Dr. with you, if he's allowed out then.
zymurgist
I'll be there, but I won't "do" breakfast. Getting up early on a weekend is too much like work. wink.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Oct 6 2008, 08:01 AM) *

Zach, come down Friday night to Frederick. It's less than a hour from here to Root's. And bring the good Dr. with you, if he's allowed out then.

I have to day trip it. Gotta feed the little guy in the morning. Assuming that I am able to get free, I'd rather not drag Erin along unless she wants to go (and watch the baby while I be a car geek). I'd rather get some time in the morning with my son/wife, get to Rod's around noonish and be able to stay a few hours. Alternately carting up the fam, annoying Erin with an early road trip (NOT a morning person), and have to head home when she or the baby got too bored.

Zach

degreeoff
Believe it or not I should be able attend if ya'll have me:-) PMO's are on the way and I am sure I can do a quick fix on the ole suspension to get me there!

Josh
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Oct 6 2008, 09:44 AM) *

Believe it or not I should be able attend if ya'll have me:-) PMO's are on the way and I am sure I can do a quick fix on the ole suspension to get me there!

Josh

He lives, ladies and gentlemen. Haven't heard from you in ages.

Zach
Rick L
I'm out. 11/1 is our annual Halloween party (to which, all are welcome).

Zach, give me a buzz when you can about the shirts.

Cell is best.

type47
i'm in ...... fun nazi willing..... mad.gif
jimkelly
oh - there goes the neighborhood - just HOOD to you gangstas biggrin.gif

--

QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 6 2008, 03:24 PM) *

zymurgist
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 6 2008, 06:24 PM) *

Damn d00d, do you call her that to her face? wink.gif
Dr Evil
Looking good depending if I am working or not. I will already be in York for the previous week and will be living down there. I also have an interview at 0730 on Mon the 3rd for a spot in their program (just as an aside) smile.gif I may need a ride, though. I dont know if I am riding my bike down to York or if I am going to be able to borrow one of my cars from the ladies. dry.gif
type47
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 6 2008, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 6 2008, 06:24 PM) *

Damn d00d, do you call her that to her face? wink.gif

you think i'm nuts? i have no cajones. i'm safe anyway, she never visits 914world.com..... biggrin.gif
degreeoff
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2008, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(degreeoff @ Oct 6 2008, 09:44 AM) *

Josh

He lives, ladies and gentlemen. Haven't heard from you in ages.

Zach

Yeah I got bummed out by my car taking a shit @ that autoX and then bought a sailboat @ a killer deal and spent the rest of the summer sailing whenever possible. THEN low and behold Richard Parr calls to say my $3500 carbs are ready (as I sold the old ones to a (IDS super rare deal) concours dude) well now I can slap em on and hope for the best with the engine and make a temp fix on my rear suspension before winter when it will all come apart.....

BTW hows fatherhood dad?

Josh
crash914
Dr, ride the bike and I will ride mine... it should be above 30 degrees
Dr Evil
Dude, your bike is much more comfortable than mine for long trips wink.gif
root
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2008, 06:13 PM) *

Dude, your bike is much more comfortable than mine for long trips wink.gif

Us "old skoolers" know bikes aren't meant to be comfortable! biker.gif
Evil your a disgrace to the:
"Ride to Live-Live to Ride" Community.
Dr Evil
Yup, I burnt that card long ago. I got nothing to prove.
plas76targa
[/quote]
I have to day trip it. Gotta feed the little guy in the morning. Assuming that I am able to get free ....[/quote]

Zach, yer doin' the right thing taking care of the little one. I'll most likely bring one of mine along if I can tear them away from home. See you there.
root
I'm planning on the following 12 so far....

Jimkelly
plas76targa
zymurgist
angerosa
vacca rabite
degreeoff
type47
dr. evil
crash914
root
charlie
kyle

scotty?, JPB?, C'mon anybody else out there interested in sausage and suds?
Racer
Sterling is almost too close not to come say hello (especially since I had to cancel out of Summit Point sad.gif ) I won't make breakfast but would like to stop by.
scotty b
Very doubtful. I'm planning on going up to Zach's the following weekend, and trying to do both is going to be a bit much with everything else I have going on right now sad.gif
okieflyr
At the moment I'm doubtful, since I'll have my daughter's engine exchange goin on, and another weekend out of town as well. Buuut if the sun and the blue sky align, the calling may be too great.

By the way Rod, do you have a tubing bead roller?
root
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Oct 8 2008, 04:28 PM) *

At the moment I'm doubtful, since I'll have my daughter's engine exchange goin on, and another weekend out of town as well. Buuut if the sun and the blue sky align, the calling may be too great.

By the way Rod, do you have a tubing bead roller?

Nope! Wish I did! The only metal shaping tools I have are hammers, anvils. and time. smash.gif
jimkelly
root rooty root-ster

got the starter installed into creamy - i also installed one of my infamous momentary starter switches - starts everytime now : ))

thanks yo : ))

now i gotta track down some good latch parts for my trunk - the good set is on my v8 - and i have some spares but no combo seems to hold the trunk lid closed securely.
root
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 10 2008, 02:43 PM) *

root rooty root-ster

got the starter installed into creamy - i also installed one of my infamous momentary starter switches - starts everytime now : ))

thanks yo : ))

now i gotta track down some good latch parts for my trunk - the good set is on my v8 - and i have some spares but no combo seems to hold the trunk lid closed securely.

Glad the starter worked!
How's creamy's tune job? Been almost a year now since we tuned her.
I say you bring her to the Sterling Meet and will check points and timing!
You are still running with 'old skool' breaker points right? aktion035.gif
jimkelly
creamy, maybe i will bring her to the party??? jim

i need you to squeeze out another 100hp from its motor - not much peddle response/torque.

--

Glad the starter worked!
How's creamy's tune job? Been almost a year now since we tuned her.
I say you bring her to the Sterling Meet and will check points and timing!
You are still running with 'old skool' breaker points right?
smdubovsky
Root,
I have a wedding that evening but I'll be there. Will try to make breakfast too since its the best part (depending on how crazy we get on halloween)
root
QUOTE(smdubovsky @ Oct 13 2008, 08:33 AM) *

Root,
I have a wedding that evening but I'll be there. Will try to make breakfast too since its the best part (depending on how crazy we get on halloween)

You comin' on the biker.gif or is the re-jetting still screwy?
ws91420
Well I am planning on being there Sat hopefully the breakfast but at least at Matsys. Now I wish I there was a way to get my non op 914 there to get some welding on it.
plas76targa
Welby, get one of David Lee's tow bar brackets. That and a towbar and yer there! Your Aztek should have a 3500lb towing cap, plenty for a teener
smdubovsky
QUOTE(root @ Oct 13 2008, 01:17 PM) *

You comin' on the biker.gif or is the re-jetting still screwy?

Haven't touched it yet. Was trying to install a 2-post lift last weekend and found that the dirt under the garage has settled. There is a ~6" gap under the concrete that I now have to deal with. mad.gif I'll either backfill via mudjacking or cut out a section and repour.
ws91420
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Oct 19 2008, 08:23 AM) *

Welby, get one of David Lee's tow bar brackets. That and a towbar and yer there! Your Aztek should have a 3500lb towing cap, plenty for a teener

I am planning to eventually but too much money right now. I woud have to buy the brackets, the bar, and the hitch and wiring for the Aztek.
scotty b
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 19 2008, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(plas76targa @ Oct 19 2008, 08:23 AM) *

I am planning to eventually but too much money right now. I woud have to buy the brackets, the bar, and the hitch and wiring for the Aztek.

one chain and a piece of pipe is all you need Welby. Run the chain through the tow hoop on the 914, place one hook on each side of the Aztec bumnper, cut the piece of pipe to be a snug fit in bewtween the 2 vehicles and cram it down into the 914's bumper. Wife drives the Aztec and you ride the 914. Problem solved beerchug.gif
ws91420
Solo trip for me this time. Anjie has a bday party to take Jimmy to. The 914 has no front bumper at this time.
scotty b
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 19 2008, 03:02 PM) *

Solo trip for me this time. Anjie has a bday party to take Jimmy to. The 914 has no front bumper at this time.

Even better !! with no front bumper you won't have to touch up any paint from the pipe cramming smile.gif See it's all working out now beer.gif
VaccaRabite
I think I am going to bow out, probably.

I want to have as much done on my car before Scotty drives up, and its looking like the weekend of the 1st may be my only chance to actually get QT with the 914.

I've got this dream that before Scotty leaves Sunday, my car will have been on a test drive. I've got work to do to make this dream even close to reality.

Zach
Dr Evil
I may bow out to help Zach get ready for Scotty. We will see, I dont even know if I have weekends off or not yet.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2008, 12:31 PM) *

I may bow out to help Zach get ready for Scotty. We will see, I dont even know if I have weekends off or not yet.

I won't turn down the help, for sure. But I'd hate for you to miss the party on my account.

Zach
root
VBWSIII is still on for Saturday November 1st. We begin at Amphora's Diner at 8AM.
Shop opens at 9AM!

I need feedback from Zymurgist for the "Zymurgist Beer Mashmaster Modification"

A friend of mine gave me this old 15 gallon stainless keg.
Is this what your looking for Ken?

If so we can chop and weld it into whatever you want at VBWS and/or build that MashMaster frame you mentioned. I think I have a S.S. drain valve we can put in the keg bottom and cut open the top and add a removable lid.

Let me know! Email me a rough sketch for the frame so I can put together some materials ahead of time........ email me at: vwporsche@verizon.net type.gif
Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 23 2008, 09:03 AM) *

I've got this dream that before Scotty leaves Sunday, my car will have been on a test drive. I've got work to do to make this dream even close to reality.

Zach

MLK Jr. had a dream too. How'd that one werk out ?? rolleyes.gif

zymurgist
Hmmm. the keg is pretty cool, although I've never heard of anyone using that kind as a kettle... normally the straight sided Sankey keg is used. I think it's because the Sankey kegs don't have a bunghole on the side. Not sure that I can use that one.
smdubovsky
Huhhuh Huhhuh Huhhuhhuhhuh - He said bunghole.

FWIW, you can easily weld it shut. Root, do you have either solarflux or a dual regulator setup to purge the inside? Solarflux would prob be simpler given the interior volume. I could bring either.
zymurgist
D'oh! I never think about welding as an answer because I don't have a welder. welder.gif

Yeah, Hoff-Stevens kegs can be turned into brew kettles... it's about the only thing they are good for since they aren't made any more. beerchug.gif

Hoff-Stevens kettle
root
QUOTE(smdubovsky @ Oct 24 2008, 04:40 AM) *

Huhhuh Huhhuh Huhhuhhuhhuh - He said bunghole.

FWIW, you can easily weld it shut. Root, do you have either solarflux or a dual regulator setup to purge the inside? Solarflux would prob be simpler given the interior volume. I could bring either.

Yep! good point 'smdubovsky', I got regulators and argon for purging. Can weld up the bung (have a lot of bung background experience), add a drain port, cut-off the top whatever we need.

Guys.... we have the technology even though it's heavily influenced by 'old school' methodology. beer.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.