Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Know when to hold'em, know when to walk away
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I purchased a '74 1.8 yellow 914 a year ago and decided this weekend to start working on it. When I bought the car, it was from a PCA member, who bought it from a neighbor. The neighbor had owned the car for 10 years and, since he was recently retired, decided to restore the car. He took everything out of the car and disassembled the motor. Shortly afterwards, his wife was given a promotion, but they had to move out of state, so he sold the car to the PCA member. This guy contacted a mutual friend, who then contacted me. We discussed the car's condition and I bought it sight unseen. When I got the car I was disappointed, but I didn't pay much for it.

Anyway, I'm finishing up my current project, so I decided to start working on this one. The car came fully loaded with all of the parts, except the bumpers. I kept the parts in the car (great storage). Here's what the interior looked like.

Click to view attachment

I removed all of the parts and started removing the sound-proofing on the floors. After removing the driver's side tar, here's what I looks like at the firewall...

Click to view attachment

Here's what it looks like at the center tunnel....

Click to view attachment

Here's the passenger's side firewall...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob

watsonrx13
Here's more of the passenger's side firewall at the long....

Click to view attachment

After seeing the rust at the firewall, I decided to check the engine compartment. Here's the driver's hell hole...

Click to view attachment

Here's the passenger's hell hole...

Click to view attachment

The passenger's inner fender well...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
AgPete139
Rough. Good luck with your resto! beerchug.gif

Pete
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the outer passenger's long...

Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of the outer driver's long....

Click to view attachment

Some more rust, in the windshield area...

Click to view attachment

Driver's side rust in the windshield area...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the driver's side targa panel/door area...

Click to view attachment

Here's some evidence of prior repair, using fiber glass.... blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Anyway, I've decided not to restore this car. It's going to very expensive and I'm just not that attached to it. So, I'm going to use it as a donor car for the restoration of my LE..... Stay tuned for that process....

-- Rob
SLITS
Ah hell, those holes just let the water out ... no problem dry.gif
pete-stevers
yup just walk away! barf.gif
bcheney
Rob,

I wise move on your part. Much work and $ would have been put into that one. I made some progress on my car today. I will post some pics to my thread.

Brian
Joe Ricard
What about the motor wheels and transaxle. Anyother suspension stuff salvageable.
VaccaRabite
If you got it cheap, consider it a parts car. Get a good tub from somewhere out west and put all the parts on it.

If you are good with welding and want to do a lot of bracing and fabrication, then go for it. All the metal that is needed to fix it is out there for sale.

Zach
jd74914
Each of my 3 cars have looked like that. I think I'm doing something wrong. laugh.gif
carr914
Holey Smooley, Good choice Rob, to use it as a parts car. You can weld, but you would have been at it a LONG time and then had a patched car.

T.C.
Root_Werks
If it was just the hell hole area and pass long/firewell...I'd fix it. Too much beyond that is just too much work for me. How are the trunks? If they are shot, maybe time to part it and move on?
PanelBilly
Did you get your money's worth in removable parts?
Joe Ricard
Rob has a good tub in his possession, I know because I gave it to him. 70 tub #3556 aka. The Stripper.
degreeoff
I say its a gonner....
watsonrx13
Thanks for the support on the decision to use it as a parts car. If it didn't have EVERY replacable panel rusted, I might consider restoring it. I have an LE that will definately be restored, using these car's parts. I did get the car cheap and will sell parts once I determine what I won't need for the LE.

Joe, the engine came with the car (1.8), but it's completely disassembled, so I might sell those parts... Also, I'm saving the Stripper for a special project, to be announced at a later date... rolleyes.gif

TC, thanks for the pics from Petit, looks like you guys had a great time....

BTW, this would be a great thread for someone looking to see where these cars rust.... shades.gif

-- Rob

Twise
Great god - You East coast boyz amaze me - The fact that this is even up for discussion blows my mind. The rust on the fenders would have made my decision from 20 feet away.

Parts car for sure....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.