Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many 914's do you have now, or how many at one time in life ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tronporsche
I know that before I got my conversion done, it was kinda cool having a "stock" engine in one car (sunburnt-copper-orange) driving.gif , and then jumping into a rocketship right afterwards (this is a picture of the black 73' that the conversion parts came out of) aktion035.gif !!! But I decided, as for me, that it was kinda overkill, when I could just focus on one, the way that I want it, so I got rid of the other. ..............Just curious, how many people have more than one 914 at this present time, and why. Most likely, you have one for racing and one as a daily driver, or one for a parts car. sawzall-smiley.gif How many, is the most you had at one time in life ? one ? two ? five? welcome.png

Click to view attachment

ADMINISTRATION......... I don't know how to add a poll for votes on this topic, can you add it please ??
PeeGreen 914
I have had a total of 5 with owning three at one time, but only two of them ever ran while I owned them. People just kept giving me parts cars after they knew I had one. Now that my six is close enough to where I want my wife doesn't want anymore parts cars sad.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Oct 6 2008, 12:04 AM) *

How many, is the most you had at one time in life ? one ? two ? five?

I have owned a total of 5 914's, 1 each 70-75
I currently have 4 of them.
I bought my 1st one around 1990 a 71 1.7 that I set up for auto-x and drove daily until the engine died about a decade ago. I still have it.
My second one was a 75 1.8 I bought for $70 thru a lien sale back around 1992. I think I had it for 2 yrs before I finished fixing it and selling it.
The other 3 I bought last May a 70 1.7, a 72 1.7 and a 73 2.0 as a group. It was an all or nothing deal.
I just made a deal and took a deposit on the 70 so soon I will be down to 3.
My specific plans for the 3 left change almost daily but the general plan is to sell 1 more and fix one as a driver and build one as a track car. My budge may dictate that I sell 2 and build 1 as a driver/track car combo.

Jim
dlee6204
I had five this past summer but I had to get rid of some of them before I left for school. Now I am down to only two. sad.gif
dw914er
I know 2 guys that have probably 20 914's combined. Most are parts cars.

But the cars they do drive

one has a 70 914-6 with a 3.0 911 motor, a 72 2.0, and a 74 1.8 or something (all black too)

the other has a bumble bee he is restoring, and has a track race car that both run, and delphi green (that was almost done last I checked). He also has a silver 75 thats been out of commission since someone backed the side of it.

They have the most 914's that I know of, and the race car and the 914-6 are beautiful.

I just have 1 myself. But I have a few different cars that I want, so I imagine at least 5 if possible.
Bruce Hinds
Only 4 teeners for me!
I bought a yellow 73 2.0 in 1976. Loved he hell out of it but I wanted webbers! I spent about $3200 at that time for a rebuild by an outfit in Dallas that did lots of racing. Wow was that fun. Shortly there after I found a VW/Porsche magazing with the story of a 914 with the Chevy Z-28 V8 and he'd spent about the same money I had on the 4 banger.
The 4 was putting out about 150HP and you had to wind it up... problem was the speed limits had been reduced to 55, I couldn't slow down and ended up loosing my license for the speeding tickets.
1981 I sold the car and the courts allowed me to get my license back so I vowed I'd build a V8 car.
1983 #2 was a silver '73 rust bucket with a bad 1.7... apart it came.
1984 I was about to put the engine in when my bride to be found me #3, a really nice Black 75 1.8 and talked me into spending the money.
About that time we were talking a walk past a neighbor's garage and there was a burgundy 73 in his garage under a bunch of stuff. Straight, no rust and started right up after being in there for several years... $800 for #4.
Someone wanted #2 with the 1.8! I sold #4 at a great profit and the money all went toward the Black V8.
I'm still driving the V8! What a car, there ain't nothing like it. Never had a ticket in the black car, is there something about color? idea.gif
Bruce
tronporsche
You guys are crazy !!!
Gustl
I've two of them

in 1999 I bought my ravenna green 1974 1.8 US
this teener is almost perfect, not one single problem till now (except an empty tank once biggrin.gif )
now rust, matching numbers (yes, chassis + engine + tranny)

this year I bought my 1971 914-6 ... and therefore I have to sell the '74 (no money + no space)
I'm very happy with my six, but it breaks my heart that I have to sell the 1.8 sad.gif

unsure.gif Gustl
jd74914
I have 3, a '70, '72, and '74.

The 74 is my daily driver (rain or shine, she goes everywhere). The 72 is going to be my brothers car once he buys it. We our both working on restoring it. He wants to have it going before his senior prom. The 70 is currently a parts car, but is really too nice (for a Northeast car) to cut up.

Now I'm waiting on pictures of another '74 that is local. laugh.gif
carr914
I've owned 17 different 914s

The most I've had at one time is 4

Currently have 2 914-6s, with another one in line if I get a job soon.

T.C.
A&PGirl
I have 2.

1972 1.7 (Green). Suppose to be my DD, but my Dad looked at the Saab then at the Teener and I have been driving the optioned out Saab while my Dad drives the Teener. Now inop because it blew the #2 spark plug and the repair failed.

1974 2.0 (Tarp). Awaiting Restoration, as in fixing the previous body damage that wasn't repaired and/or improperly.

My Dad has a 1974 1.8 (Gray rusting away since it has been parked). It was his DD until it got rear-ended and now it is waiting for the body to be fixed. We have all the parts in the garage.

Click to view attachment

minnesota loon
I have 1 1976 2.0. had 2 once but sold 1 to a friend. But about a month ago bought 944 turbo. way fast and fun but I still love my teener.
Root_Werks
Never more than one at a time, but I have owned almost 20 in my life so far.
Kansas 914
Currently 2.

One Wild and One Mild.

And of course - only one is running today - the other is on it's 20th year holding down jackstands. But this year is the year. I ordered my last piece of sheet metal from Restoration Design this weekend - welding starts and finishes in 2 weeks. Then the '72 is off for bodywork and paint (Original Willow Green).
TheCabinetmaker
I have 9 and want more
Slider
QUOTE(dw914er @ Oct 6 2008, 02:22 AM) *

I know 2 guys that have probably 20 914's combined. Most are parts cars.

But the cars they do drive

one has a 70 914-6 with a 3.0 911 motor, a 72 2.0, and a 74 1.8 or something (all black too)

I know him its Shawn. it is a 74 1.8. did he get the 914-6 back together yet?

ive only had 1 but i want to have a couple. one to restore and one to drive because i think i would go crazy if i had only one and it was in pieces in the garage..

dbgriffith75
Only 1- I've owned it for probably close to 2 years now, but have only been working on the resto for about half that time.

And, while this has been quite the learning experience, this is probably the first and last teener I will ever care to own. I've enjoyed working on it for the most part, but just from keeping up with the boards here at 914world.com, there's just waaaaaaay too many issue's with these cars to keep me interested in owning one for life.

But maybe, when I get a little older, and find I have the time, I might decide to tackle one again and keep it for myself. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Michael N
Three for now but only 2 run. The third one is basically a roller waiting for a restoration. I've had only 4 over the years.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JoeSharp
I have no idea how many I've had but now I have 2-6's and the race car is being converted to a -6. I have had as many as 7 here at once. All my own.
FourBlades
I have one half of a 914. It is the first one half I have ever had. I have a lot
of parts that I am hoping I can use to convert it into a whole 914.

Here is how a lot of it looked when I got it.

Click to view attachment

Now I have an engine in my bedroom; headers, exhaust, and wheels in my
living room; and loads of mystery parts in my garage and porch.

John
Eric_Shea

2 at once was the most allowed with the 911. wink.gif
type47
i've owned 3 total and 2 at one time (presently)
smg914
I believe that would be..... 4
fight now if you counted the one thats chopped on the side of the house we have four, between my dad and i. my dads owned 6 at one time 1 was a daily driver the others were parts cars well except for the 71 he still has.
mine is in daily op. and so is my dads 75. the 71 also my dads needs work.
orthobiz
Never more than one at a time.
One in college.
Two in medical residency. Talk about reliability: only once did I not make it to the hospital in 5 years!
One for the past year and a half.

The first three were DD.
My most recent is a near-garage queen.

Paul
Michael N
QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 6 2008, 02:50 PM) *

Now that is pretty!!! pray.gif
scotty b
7, but I don't count. I have a problem. I need help unsure.gif

Down to 3 now + Evils, so temporarily 4
tronporsche
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 6 2008, 10:29 AM) *

I have one half of a 914. It is the first one half I have ever had. I have a lot
of parts that I am hoping I can use to convert it into a whole 914.

Here is how a lot of it looked when I got it.

Click to view attachment

Now I have an engine in my bedroom; headers, exhaust, and wheels in my
living room; and loads of mystery parts in my garage and porch.

John
Holy cow !!! laugh.gif
Al Meredith
I once sold AA some rear calipers and when one of his employees came out to my car to remove the box , he grunted and said what is in here. I told him it was 7 sets of rear calipers. He wanted to know how I got 7 sets of calipers?

I've had at least 7 since then. I bought 3 from one guy and currently own 2 (one is a 6) and my son has 2 race cars.
sww914
4ish. I know that this pales in comparison to some others.
1 racecar for almost 10 years
1 racecar project that I can't afford
1 stock 1.7 Fi street car
1 donor car that I need to go pick up soon.
balljoint

1st one was the lesson to be learned, great for welding practice etc. etc. 2nd one was and is the solid car and continues to be a runner. I keep both at work and I think 1 more would just about do the trick. smile.gif
Joe Bob
3 at one time...all ran. 37 and counting lifetime...
JRust
I have had 6 at once. I usually have at least 2-3 almost year round. DOwn to one right now & liking it biggrin.gif . Although i am only a good deal away screwy.gif
GaroldShaffer
I have 5 3/4 right now. 3 3/4 are parts cars the other is my driver and then the 914/6 race car project. If I knew my landlord where my shop is wouldn't kill me I know where 3 more parts cars are. biggrin.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 6 2008, 03:50 PM) *

wub.gif
can you adopt me? I love your garage
dgw
6 total. The most at one time was 3, only one of them ran. now only 1, a six conversion that does run.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Oct 5 2008, 11:04 PM) *

How many, is the most you had at one time in life ?

Two ...
shades.gif Andy

The driver
Click to view attachment

The Project
Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
Two!

1- 74 2.0
1- 70 914-6

KevinP
I bought my first one in 1981 and I have had 11 since then. I currently have two a 75 and a 71 both on jack stands and no time to work on either! bummer.....

KP
zx-niner
My wife won't believe I'm a piker in this crowd with a lifetime of five! Three were at the same time-- the daily driver rust-bucket, the future restoration project and the parts car. I'm down to one for now, and probably for good.
LarryR
WOW!!!! No wonder I like this site!!! people even sicker than I am. I have never had more than 2 914's at a time. However, I have never actually owned one that runs beerchug.gif I am just about to remedy that situation as my 70 is going to be running in then next several weeks.

I will have one wild one really wild! My 70 is going to get a 6 (see thread soon to post) and my 72 will have a v8 some day.

The 70 is going for the very stockish appearance. Chrome bumpers, fuchs, stockish interior. The 72 some day will have the sheridan body kit renegade v8 kit, huge bbs wheels, monster brakes ... Yes a guy can dream.

The 72 will some day be my idea of the ultimate sports car. the 70 the ultimate double duty car. My 911 falls somewhere in between.

BTW I will have no less than 5 914 engines for sale shortly but that is another topic (2 2.0's 1 1.8 and 2 1.7's)

beer3.gif
Tom
I have had three different ones, all at different times. in 75 I had a 70 1.7. 80 I got a 75 1.8 and finally in 05 got my 76 2.0. I have had this last one the longest and I never want to let it go.
If I had the money, I'd have too many! Love these cars. Sometimes when they are acting up, maybe a little hate!
Tom
craig downs
I have the one and only since Oct. 1977
markb
8. huh.gif 5 of them ran at one point or another. dry.gif 3 were eventually combined into 1 car, with a couple of engines given away & trannys still on the shelf waiting to be used. I'm down to 1 driver smile.gif (soon to get another engine transplant) and 3 at the "storage yard" (waiting for sww914 to pick 1 up), so only 2 left out there that are mine. Eventually I will wind up with 1 for distance driving, and 1 for AX/track. blink.gif I hope. But don't hold your breath. biggrin.gif
root
2, but only if the one on the right counts as a 914. biker.gif

Click to view attachment
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 6 2008, 08:45 PM) *

I have had 6 at once. I usually have at least 2-3 almost year round. DOwn to one right now & liking it biggrin.gif . Although i am only a good deal away screwy.gif

I had one when I was 16 which had to be sold when I got married...no room for kids...a 911 and a 924turbo in between my present 914 illness. The last four years I've had about 9 1/2 maybe more with my 74 DD always remaining and drivable...most parts cars. Two of the years I averaged 3 at a time when I was at the sickest point of my affliction...just couldn't say no to a good deal.

Down to one now, and like my buddy Jamie...I'm kinda liking it..thank goodness I don't have a larger garage. Not having a lot of space wore me out.

Here's a picture of my 1/2 of a 914...not too many people saw the missing half. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.