Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maserati Merek, what's the skinny on these cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Always loved the way this car looked. Any body some what familiar with these cars? Like cost of maintence, trouble areas, good points? I didn't have much
luck searching forums on them.

Click to view attachment

VaccaRabite
It is a Maserati...

QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 6 2008, 10:17 AM) *

Like cost of maintence

How much you got in savings?
trouble areas?

All of them.

good points?

Really, really, ridiculously good looking.

Zach
plymouth37
If you thought a 914 was hard to work on....
tod914
They seem reasonably priced from high teens to low twenties. So I guess the practical solution is to have the shell dropped on a 914?
PanelBilly
Parts! Lots of things are one-offs so parts are unique to the car. Years ago I did a tour of a distributor who got all the parts inventory for these cars after they were a few years old. I think the name of the place was MIE or MEI, something like that. They were located in Bellevue WA. You might do a search on them and give them a call. They were nice folks and they knew alot about these cars.
hcdmueller
I have heard a few things. Same as a 914 when you buy one. Buy the best one you can find. Parts are harder to find and more expensive. I have never seen one of these on the road. The states or here. I think they are just as prone to rust as the 914.

Also, it is Italian so there are going to be weird problems that pop up randomly. My Aprilia motorcycle does that and it is only 5 years old. Imagine what an old Italian car will do.
Dr Evil
Contact Scotty B, the shop he works at messes with them.
Gint
You might have better luck if you use "Maserati Merak" as search terms instead of Merek. wink.gif Good luck...

Link to Google search for "forum Maserati Merak"
Dr. Roger
when i had a maserati i used MIE for a parts source. they came up with some hard to find parts and shipping was excellent.

http://maseratinet.com/SPARE_PARTS/spareparts.asp

Good luck.

**edit: hard to work on... dbl over head cam, shimmed tappetts, shim kit required, know issues... HERE
http://www.thecarnut.com/Merakdesc.html
http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri06zzzz.htm
hwgunner
I know someone that is working on putting one back together after a full repaint. He has already said that he does not think it will get finished because of the cost of parts and how hard the parts are to find. beerchug.gif
scotty b
Bora is more bettera biggrin.gif They have cooling issues. Much like a V8 914 the coolantr lines run frmom the engine bay ( mid ) to the front where the radiator is. Thermo gets stuck if not driven regularly, carbs act like carbs if not driven regularly, electrically no issues I know of, Not certain on the Merrivck but the Bora uses the same CDI as the 911 do so that is readily available. Bora pictured, larger in size, larger in displacement, larger in fun, larger in price
scotty b
Mo
scotty b
Oh and the bad ass seats
Cap'n Krusty
You forgot the part about hacksawing out the upper rear crossmember to get the tranny out ............................................ That's how you tell if it's ever had a clutch.

The Cap'n, BT, DT.......
davep
I know you are not kidding, but DAMN!
tod914
awesome car scotty. much more expensive too.
TimT
I owned a Merak SS in the early eighites. The cars was a bit of a POS , looked nice, but always had some issue or other. Parts were extremely hard to come by.

So I sold it and bought a one of many 911 that I've owned.

Getting parts for a 30 yo Porsche EASY
Getting parts for a 30 yo Maser screwy.gif
angerosa
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 6 2008, 11:51 AM) *

Parts! Lots of things are one-offs so parts are unique to the car. Years ago I did a tour of a distributor who got all the parts inventory for these cars after they were a few years old. I think the name of the place was MIE or MEI, something like that. They were located in Bellevue WA. You might do a search on them and give them a call. They were nice folks and they knew alot about these cars.

They have all the parts you'll ever need. MIE is Maserati Information Exchange. Go to www.maseratinet.com
I was a member of the Maserati Club which I think is known as MCI.

I didn't own a Merek but I always thought they looked cool. 6 cyl right? I expect it will break alot. My maserati always brought me heart ache. Was very fun to drive when it was running optimally but it was only running optimally 25% of the time. I hated to sell it but truth be told there a great weight lifted off my shoulders when it went. You really will be spending a lot of money just to keep it going. My 914 is more dependable and cheaper to fix. Interior pieces are very costly so make sure the interior is flawless. You will not make money on the car. Not ever. The only good source of info is the MIE. Go ahead and look for a board like this for maseratis.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.