Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stiff acell pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
loflyer
HAVE 914 71 2.0 WITH CARBS JUST PURCHASED OUT OF ARIZONA CLEAN CAR . THIS CAR HAS A VERY STIFF ACELL PEDAL. HAVE READJUSTED ARM ON CROSS BAR HELPED A LITTLE. BUT STLL TO STIFF.NEED SOME HELP GUYS? smash.gif
r_towle
Dissconnect it from the Carb linkage and make sure the cable and joints up front are free and move nicely...
If that is all right, you might have a linkage geometry problem.

Rich
ChrisFoley
All throttle return springs are located in the engine comp. Do like Rich says, disconnect the cable from the linkage and see if the pedal is still stiff. If it is, then the problem is likely either the cable or the pedal bushings.
Another problem that sometimes occurs when replacing a cable is that the throttle cable gets wrapped around the clutch cable in the front of the tunnel. This can cause a stiff pedal as well as the engine revving when the clutch is depressed.
Jeffs9146
Another problem that sometimes occurs when replacing a cable is that the throttle cable gets wrapped around the clutch cable in the front of the tunnel. This can cause a stiff pedal as well as the engine revving when the clutch is depressed.

agree.gif That happend to me!! It can also get wrapped around the shifter!

Jeff
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 7 2004, 07:23 PM)
It can also get wrapped around the shifter!

How can that happen? The tube the cable is inside terminates ahead of the shift linkage.
Jeffs9146
How can that happen? The tube the cable is inside terminates ahead of the shift linkage

My tube was broken and had a hole rusted in it!! It was a 74 that I owned when I was in my 20's! It caught on fire!

jeff
Demick
[quote=Racer Chris,Feb 7 2004, 04:35 PM] [/QUOTE]
How can that happen? The tube the cable is inside terminates ahead of the shift linkage. [/quote]
The tube terminates ahead of the shifter - but it doesn't get wrapped around the shifter, the throttle cable gets wrapped around the clutch cable. When you thread through a new accel cable, it naturally wants to wrap itself around the clutch cable - so you need to get a mirror and look in the end of the tunnel to make sure the cables are free of one another before hooking them up.

Demick
Brad Roberts
If your OE cable housing is broken at the firewall.. the pedal becomes REAL stiff. The OE housings have a white plastic sheeth in them that holds the cable. They tend to break when you try and make tight turns with it. I use Terrycable. No inside sheeth and better wound cable (aircraft quality).

B
Aaron Cox
brad... i had a problem with a bad terry cable. they made a batch that the threads on one end werent cut right/straight/didnt fit the nuts they supplied. went all over town trying to find the right nuts. nothing fit (metric standard pitches of threads!). i called them and they said a couple of em werent cut right and they sent me a good one.

Aaron
Brad Roberts
Shit happens laugh.gif laugh.gif You cant win them all. They are assembled in America..

I havent ran across any bad ones.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.