Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Grommets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Let's compile a list of rubber pieces we would like reproduced and I'll look into costs and such. What's not available aftermarket?

1. Firewall wiring tube.
2. Bushings where fuel lines pass through the engine sheet metal.

Keep 'em coming.
sj914
Rear tail light housing gaskets. Haven't seen them.
RustyWa
At a bug shop, I saw a grommet that looked exactly like the fuel line through the engine shelf grommet. I think it was for a bug speedo cable or for a bus or something. Was just a few bucks.

I'll take a better look next time I go there.
JFJ914
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Feb 7 2004, 02:04 PM)
Let's compile a list of rubber pieces we would like reproduced and I'll look into costs and such. What's not available aftermarket?

You can still get the fuel line grommets , 111 957 861, from the dealer. They were $2.10 ea on 12/8/03. They are also used for the brake reservoir to M/C lines through the chassis.
RustyWa
There you go...
McMark
I was planning on persuing dealer supplied parts first, then going custom. But I'd like to get a nice list of the things people can get, or don't think they can get.

laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
how about GOOD windshiled/a pillar/targa seals
JeffBowlsby
I can think of a few...

Alternator cable grommets at the engine tin.

D-shaped ECU grommet min FI harness

Big O grommets at the heater J-tubes throught the engine tin.

Rubber boot cover at the alternator cable to starter solenoid
tracks914
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Feb 7 2004, 02:22 PM)
You can still get the fuel line grommets , 111 957 861, from the dealer. They were $2.10 ea on 12/8/03. They are also used for the brake reservoir to M/C lines through the chassis.

When I pulled apart my parts car I found the brake line grommets and put them aside. When I put the car back together and asked for firewall and fuel pump pictures, (mine was all gone when I bought the car) I noticed that they fuel lines grommet were the same. smile.gif
YaHoo, something I didn't have to buy.
type47
i found the grommets for the fuel line thru the engine shelf at west coast metric. this is my best find:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ighlight=J+pipe

they fit MUCH better than OEM grommets, so tight you almost can't install them. not for the CW though.
ChrisReale
how about the Grommet that the CHT goes through on the engine tin...
IronHillRestorations
You'd be suprised what's still available from Porsche. The grommet that goes throught the engine shelf (for the fuel line), is still available, and it's not too bad. More and more of them are going NLA though.

Steele rubber makes an excellent assortment of good rubber grommets. I get them for wiring, oil lines, etc. They have a nice one that is perfect for the wiring harness through the left side 914-6 engine sheet metal.

PK cool.gif
JeffBowlsby
PK

Could this be...no couldn't be...

Are you the one and only Perry Kiehl???
andys
What about the rubber gromments/buttons that hold the bezel just ahead of the headlight doors. Are the still available, and where? If not, how do you suggest fastening them in place?

Thanks,
Andy
Brad Roberts
Chris,

the grommet for the CHT is still available.

B
JeffBowlsby
rubber gromments/buttons that hold the bezel just ahead of the headlight doors.

Yep they are. Get the PN and order them.
hargray2
Is the L-shaped boot for side marker light wires available.
IronHillRestorations
[quote=bowlsby,Feb 7 2004, 08:01 PM] [quote]PK[/quote]

Could this be...no couldn't be...

Are you the one and only Perry Kiehl??? [/quote]
[/QUOTE]

ever since I was a kid!

PK cool.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(hargray2 @ Feb 8 2004, 06:15 AM)
Is the L-shaped boot for side marker light wires available.

those are not. I got ten about eight years ago, and have only two left for the "black hole".

PK cool.gif
andys
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Feb 7 2004, 09:11 PM)
rubber gromments/buttons that hold the bezel just ahead of the headlight doors.

Yep they are. Get the PN and order them.

Andy

When you say get the PN, do you mean these are available at the dealer, or through one of the parts suppliers? I looked on-line and couldn't find them....any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy
maf914
Fuel line thru engine shelf. Also thru front and rear firewalls.

http://store.cip1.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...de=11A-01-01-05

You can go to the 914 PET CD and record all of the grommets for the engine tin. Then go to the local VW dealer and order them, as they are all VW numbers. I did this and ordered about $40 worth. This included the CHT grommet, the oil pressure boot, and the J-tube grommets. But it didn't include any of the rear tin grommets, I had to reuse the old ones.

Mike
RON S.
1. How about the boot for the speedo cable as it passes thru the firewall.
2.Also the boot for the backup light switch at the trans.
Ron
Aaron Cox
Ron, youre (1) comes with a new speedo cable
F4i
QUOTE(acox914 @ Feb 9 2004, 03:39 PM)
Ron, youre (1) comes with a new speedo cable

True but they put it on the wrong end. mad.gif
RON S.
Who wants to buy a whole speedo cable when only the boot is bad?
Ron
JeffBowlsby
boot for the backup light switch

Also still avaialable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.