Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carry a toolset?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alex914
It sucks to be stranded on the side of the road if it is something you can fix ...but only if you had the right tools. If you carry tools which ones to you make sure you have. Obviously, one would have a combination wrenches, socket set, pliers and screwdrivers. What about miscellaneous spares and hardware (wire, nuts, etc)? Are there any things you now carry only after hard won experience?
jd74914
I have:

A 3/8" metric socket set (6mm to 19mm)
A Box end wrench set (8mm to 18mm)
A 1/2 breaker bar with socket for the lugs.
A few flathead and phillips screwdrivers
An exacto knife
Hose clamps
Zip ties
A big rag
Gloves
Electrical tape, spade connectors, crimpers, extra wire
Vice grips
Pliers
A wiring diagram
Clutch cable
Throttle cable

I carry a bunch of electrical stuff now to fix PO problems as they pop up. I have had to hotwire the car twice. Once the ignition switch melted, and the other my dash wires caught on fire (don't ask, it was bad). The wire has gotten me home a few times now. laugh.gif
justdrive914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 7 2008, 04:58 PM) *

I have:

A 3/8" metric socket set (6mm to 19mm)
A Box end wrench set (8mm to 18mm)
A 1/2 breaker bar with socket for the lugs.
A few flathead and phillips screwdrivers
An exacto knife
Hose clamps
Zip ties
A big rag
Gloves
Electrical tape, spade connectors, crimpers, extra wire
Vice grips
Pliers
A wiring diagram
Clutch cable
Throttle cable

I carry a bunch of electrical stuff now to fix PO problems as they pop up. I have had to hotwire the car twice. Once the ignition switch melted, and the other my dash wires caught on fire (don't ask, it was bad). The wire has gotten me home a few times now. laugh.gif

This is the kit..... the one i carry is almost the same but few thing less..... but i have friends with big trucks and trailers
Cap'n Krusty
I carry a AAA Premier card. I'm done with crawling around in the dirt on the side of the road .................... The Cap'n
scotty
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 7 2008, 06:50 PM) *

I carry a AAA Premier card. I'm done with crawling around in the dirt on the side of the road .................... The Cap'n

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
TOTALLY! Especially in "inclement" weather (but I do carry a lot of fuses!)
Demick
Most common item that's come in handy over the years is a small flashlight. The new LED ones that take 3 AAA batteries are very compact and bright. In my glove box at all times.
r_towle
A multi meter
A coat hanger (old school)
A short sleeping mat to lay on...the short one fits in the rear trunk.
Fuses
A roll of utility wire (bare wire strong enough to tie a CV joint together)
4 cv joint bolts.
cell phone
the rest of the list above.
Aside from the sleeping mat, I have all of this in a shoe box sized plastic box in the front trunk..with rubber gloves
I also have a full coverall suit in the trunk.

Rich
gasman
I agree with all of the above. But don't forget .......the fire extinguisher
RickS
All of the above, plus a can of fix a flat, a multi-purpose relay, and road flares.

Two days ago I was 2 cars behind a Camaro (hard to believe, I know) which slammed at 50 MPH into the back of a van which was stopped to make a turn. Needless to say, both went off the road at a good clip, and thankfully no one was badly hurt.

I immediately stopped, put on the flashers, whipped out the mobile phone to 911, checked the drivers, and then put out flares to keep my car and the area safe. Damn do I sound like I know what I was doing. Glad I had the flares.
SGB
All these items, and the added stuff except the FLARES. Very good idea. Its on the top of my list.
URY914

Me too. 100 miles of free towing.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 7 2008, 08:10 PM) *

Me too. 100 miles of free towing.

agree.gif Especially after my buddy was killed by a driver running the shoulder while he was changing a tire for a lady.
sww914
I live dangerously. I have a windshield mldg clip, a flashlight and a leatherman tool. No AAA but I do own a truck and a trailer. I don't even know if there's a jack in the car.
dw914er
a wrench, screwdrivers, jumper cables, air pump, leathermen, and a triple a card.
dbgriffith75
You guys are just no fun... dry.gif

There's nothing better than a 9 mile walk back to the last exit, cursing and spitting the whole way, because you didn't have any tools; your cell phone is dead, and not one damn car is courteous enough to stop and ask you if you need a ride. happy11.gif

Seriously though, I'd carry my entire shop with me if I could. If there's one thing I learned from my old man growing up it's that you can never carry too many tools with you in your vehicle; and that's only because I remember many a nights I'd go out with him to save my mom from roadside despair. Hell, when I was still using a '75 Chevy pickup for a daily driver, there were some parts I'd buy two of and keep one just as a spare; and that's still true for some things now in my '91 F-150.

But even so I'm not as "prepared" as some of you guys. Usually it's because if I break down, it's rarely something bad enough that requires a tow; and I'm too stubborn to give in without a fight and get a tow. I love the roadside battles; but then, I'm young and reckless, so that works for me. biggrin.gif
Rusty
Some good advice above. I usually carry several pair of latex gloves to protect my hands. Oh, and a can of brake cleaner and some rags. The brake cleaner will help clean away oil and crap if I need to see something.

On longer road trips - always a pair of ratty jeans and a work shirt... If I need to do something involved, I can change in the car and not mess up my clothes.
KELTY360
Good stuff here. I especially like the suggestion of flares. I'll be adding those. Here's a couple more for the list:

Small tube of hand cleaner.
Headlight/fuel pump relays

And of course, a VISA card! (MC or AMEX can be substituted)
r_towle
Currently I carry a real coverall suit cause I have extras and it fits.
At one point I carried tyvec coveralls. they are sold at HD in the paint isle...they are pretty cheap and they dont rip.
the nice part is its a throw away suit and its perfectly clean when you need it...its in a plastic sealed baggy.

Rich
Rand

Me too. But I also carry a lot of the stuff listed above to deal with some of the things that don't require crawling in the dirt. And because of it I have been able to get my car going again faster than the tow truck could have gotten me far.

I didn't see anyone mention spare points! The first time my car died on me was because the little block on the points that rides on the distributor cam broke (go figure), so the points wouldn't open. It didn't take long to swap out the points on the side of the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.