Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT gauge ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellow1
I am looking to buy a cht because i am a little insane i am thinking of driving my 914 down to fl from ny and i would like to see what temp's are before i decide to go .I have read in some threads that temp compensating gauges are much better than the vdo gauges.will the one in the link work in the 914 and is there a special wire for it to work in the 914 ,52.00 seems like a good price to me .ThxMICRO 1000 CHT
orange914
QUOTE(yellow1 @ Oct 7 2008, 09:26 PM) *

.I have read in some threads that temp compensating gauges are much better than the vdo gauges.

and is there a special wire for it to work in the 914 ,

MICRO 1000 CHT

if i had it to do over i probably would have got a temp. comp. gauge. although as i understand the NON temp. comp. is set with the base temp. @ 70*, meaning adding additional temp. (difference) above 70* or subtracting from ambeint temp (difference) below the same way. blink.gif

i did get a duel guage that i really like, if for no other reason i can get a better overall picture. you can even get a 4 way switch and hook al 4 cylinders up.

there IS special wire. this can be the most expensive part of the set up. there is k type and j type. from what i've read the k type is more sensitive at lower temp's. it seems more avalible but seems even more expensive than j type. you have to use spacific wire depending on gauge requirement. my non comp. gauge used j type and after searching EVERYWHERE i found some and bought twice the amount i needed. as i recall it ranges around $3+ a foot. i've got 20 feet if you need to purchase some j type.
wertygrog
If you are going from ny to fl, i'd recommend you look into the amtrak autotrain, which goes overnight from dc to sanford. That's how I brought my 914 to florida from massachusetts this semester. beerchug.gif
southernmost914
CHT gauge is a must! I highly recomend Dakota Digital Gauges.

Gauge#ODYR-11-1
Sensor#SEN-11-5 or longer
Worth the price.

Steve
blitZ
I have been using the Westach dual CHT gauge for a year or so. I monitor cylinders 1 & 3 since they are the hottest. They show up on Ebay fairly often. You have to buy the J senders seperately.

Westach Dual CHT
rtalich
Dakota Digital gauges are good but they TOTALLY SUCK in direct sunlight!! There are digital displays out there that are far superior to what they use.
r_towle
QUOTE(orange914 @ Oct 8 2008, 01:07 AM) *

QUOTE(yellow1 @ Oct 7 2008, 09:26 PM) *

.I have read in some threads that temp compensating gauges are much better than the vdo gauges.

and is there a special wire for it to work in the 914 ,

MICRO 1000 CHT

if i had it to do over i probably would have got a temp. comp. gauge. although as i understand the NON temp. comp. is set with the base temp. @ 70*, meaning adding additional temp. (difference) above 70* or subtracting from ambeint temp (difference) below the same way. blink.gif

i did get a duel guage that i really like, if for no other reason i can get a better overall picture. you can even get a 4 way switch and hook al 4 cylinders up.

there IS special wire. this can be the most expensive part of the set up. there is k type and j type. from what i've read the k type is more sensitive at lower temp's. it seems more avalible but seems even more expensive than j type. you have to use spacific wire depending on gauge requirement. my non comp. gauge used j type and after searching EVERYWHERE i found some and bought twice the amount i needed. as i recall it ranges around $3+ a foot. i've got 20 feet if you need to purchase some j type.

It may be overkill but it will be fun.
Talk to me about a good way to wire up four temp sensors to one gauge.
Ideally I would like to have a four position switch next to the gauge that I can flip from one cylinder to the next...again, just for fun.

I have thought about this quite a bit and I am worried that the sensor wire issue may create a problem due to amp loss through the switch.
I did see a four position gauge but I would drive off the road trying to read the damn thing..its tiny.
A digital one would be perfect...of course temp compensating...but I cant find one of those either.

I wanted to add this setup, a fourway EGT setup and an AF gauge...
Put all of those in the stock center console.

Rich
yeahmag
I have a Micro1000 and love it. Just get the long extender. Call them up and they will help you out. They are very nice.
roadster fan
I think SirAndy is running that guage in his 3.6 conversion. IIRC he used the micro1000 14mm sender with the extension on this page: sensors/probes

Hey Rich, how about this setup. While you are in there how about a four channel EGT guage as well!! CFR guages

Jim
ConeDodger
QUOTE(yellow1 @ Oct 7 2008, 08:26 PM) *

I am looking to buy a cht because i am a little insane i am thinking of driving my 914 down to fl from ny and i would like to see what temp's are before i decide to go .I have read in some threads that temp compensating gauges are much better than the vdo gauges.will the one in the link work in the 914 and is there a special wire for it to work in the 914 ,52.00 seems like a good price to me .ThxMICRO 1000 CHT

This is the gauge I am using. If you are using stock tin number 2 is your hottest cylinder. CHT is a tool to tune from that data. More is overkill but I understand overkill. Just don't let the extra data drive you crazy. They will not be equal. You will need the longer lead as the shorter one will not work.
yeahmag
I was always told it was #3 on a 4 cylinder car.
blitZ
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 8 2008, 04:51 PM) *

I thought 1 & 3 were the hottest, since they get the blower air last.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 8 2008, 12:51 PM) *

Whichever the rear passenger side cylinder is. I am very tired and foggy right now... Coordinating 3 disaster teams returning from Texas. Yawning even now.
yellow1
THX for all the replies and advice , i am considering the duel cht that blitz posted ,or the 1000 single unit ,my car is a 76 2.0 my car does not have the center console ,i have seen gauge pods at pelican that fit under the dash. what size wire or probe would i need to order.Also what would be the best way to run the wire to the dash.
r_towle
The sensor comes with its own wire that cannot be cut.
Get 14 feet (I think that is one option)
Run the wire right up the middle tunnel with all the other wiring.

Rich
Rand
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 8 2008, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Oct 8 2008, 12:51 PM) *

Whichever the rear passenger side cylinder is. I am very tired and foggy right now... Coordinating 3 disaster teams returning from Texas. Yawning even now.

orange914
QUOTE(blitZ @ Oct 8 2008, 06:44 AM) *

I have been using the Westach dual CHT gauge for a year or so. I monitor cylinders 1 & 3 since they are the hottest. They show up on Ebay fairly often. You have to buy the J senders seperately.

Westach Dual CHT

thats what i got and love it. like i said i have the wire (20 ft) if your interested drop me a p.m.

and you can connect extension lead wires by crimping. you can then run as minimal as possible as the longer the lead the more it (minimally) can be affected
ericread
Based on the converstaions here,I drove over to Corona, CA (Aircraft Spruce) this afternoon and purchased the Micro 1000 CHT, a sensor and a 15 foot extension cable. It's all installed and looks great in my original center console.

So where is the danger point? Some posts say that hitting 400 degrees will cause a valve seat to fail. Others say they regularly see 375 to 400 degrees on their longer, higher speed drives. Where is the point that indicated engine heat danger? BTW: 74 2.0L all original FI w, standard exhaust.

My thanks.

Eric Read

EDIT: Cross-Posting Disclosure: Cross-posted to the "other" BBS (Saturday, 10/11/08) as a result of no response on this BBS.
yellow1

Westach Dual CHT

blitz is this the gauge u have, i am ready to order just want to make sure i order the right 1.thx Click to view attachment
yellow1
QUOTE(ericread @ Oct 10 2008, 11:29 PM) *

Based on the converstaions here,I drove over to Corona, CA (Aircraft Spruce) this afternoon and purchased the Micro 1000 CHT, a sensor and a 15 foot extension cable. It's all installed and looks great in my original center console.

So where is the danger point? Some posts say that hitting 400 degrees will cause a valve seat to fail. Others say they regularly see 375 to 400 degrees on their longer, higher speed drives. Where is the point that indicated engine heat danger? BTW: 74 2.0L all original FI w, standard exhaust.

My thanks.

Eric Read

EDIT: Cross-Posting Disclosure: Cross-posted to the "other" BBS (Saturday, 10/11/08) as a result of no response on this BBS.
Eric was it difficult to run the wires to the front.
ericread
QUOTE(yellow1 @ Oct 27 2008, 01:09 PM) *

Westach Dual CHT

blitz is this the gauge u have, i am ready to order just want to make sure i order the right 1.thx Click to view attachment

You might want to double check with Aircraft Spruce, but I don't think that gauge is temperature compensating. Not a deal killer but you do need to remember to manually compensate for the ambient temperature when figuring your head temps.

FYI: The Micro line has a dual gauge as well as the single gauge I purchased, and these are temp compensating.

Eric Read
blitZ
That's the one. You will need the j senders to go under your spark plugs and some 22 ga wire. I made my own slide on connectors for the round pins on the gauge and end of the sender, using round crimp connectors. I have a little hole in my firewall behind the drivers seat to run wires and then under the carpet to the dash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.