Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 with a 6 dropped in.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
356cabbie
I am new to the forum and would like feed back on the market value of a 914 that I am about to purchase. Its a 73 914 with a "911" 6 cylinder in it. The car originally had a 4 cylinder, then a 6 cylinder has replaced it, so I know we don't get the "911" suspension & braking.

Assume the car is clean inside and out (no body damage). The car has sat for two years and has not been run, but has been protected from the elements. The engine was running at the time it was parked. I know there are alot more varibles to considered, just looking for a ball park number for an "as is" car. 5k or 10k? More? Less?

thanks in advance and hope to contribute in the future.

ed
rick 918-S
Post some pics. There are way too many things that either add value or cost big bucks to sort out. Just an engine change doesn't make a 914-6 conversion. Does it have the correct oil tank, exhaust, what type of mounts does it have, did they change it to 5 lug, is it rusted, etc?????
LarryR
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 7 2008, 10:00 PM) *

Post some pics. There are way too many things that either add value or cost big bucks to sort out. Just an engine change doesn't make a 914-6 conversion. Does it have the correct oil tank, exhaust, what type of mounts does it have, did they change it to 5 lug, is it rusted, etc?????

agree.gif

like was the conversion done with headers or heat exchangers, is the oil tank a factory oil tank or reproduction to go in factory location or some morphed in 911 tank or some other fabrication.

... the list goes on.

doing it right costs quite a bit .... However, you can do a 'improvisied' conversion on the cheap. the final sale value would be reflected in the route.
dw914er
also, which 6 is it? Since its been sitting, what is the condition of the 6.

rust is also crucial. also, what was done for the conversion?
watsonrx13
Ed.... welcome.png and agree.gif

Ed, you'll also notice that you will get a response to your postings almost immediately, so be prepared.... As others have mentioned, there are too many factors to determine a ball park figure. We have seen too many conversions done half-assed and made the value of the car even less than before the conversion.

Please don't make any offers until you have someone from this board go with you to inspect the car or at least post pics here. If you should get pics of the engine compartment (both sides and the engine), any shots underneath the car, interior, exterior, inside both front and rear trunks, the jacking post areas (directly underneath the rear section of both doors), we should be able to give you opinions on the condition of the car...

-- Rob

KELTY360
QUOTE(356cabbie @ Oct 7 2008, 09:51 PM) *

The car originally had a 4 cylinder, then a 6 cylinder has replaced it, so I know we don't get the "911" suspension & braking.

welcome.png
Most of the well done /6 conversions have been converted to 5 lug hubs and upgraded brakes. Beyond that, the suspension is very similar to a 911.....except the engine isn't hanging out of the ass of the car!

There are plenty of 914 guys in your area who can help you evaluate the car. All you have to do is ask. Good luck.
davep
Condition, condition, condition!
Condition of body & paint.
Condition of engine and transmission.
Condition of suspension.

Oh, and history; if it is a famous race car, then add $250,000.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.