Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TUrbo tie rod question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
13b914
When I bought my car I found that it has the turbo tie rod kit installed but does not have the spacers. Does anyone have a measurement of these spacers and maybe a picture of them? I think I have the spacers off of my old car but I can't be sure until I get a good idea of what thickness and size that is suppose to be there.
Thanks in advance
Eric_Shea
You can get them new:

930 347 313 01

They're around $6.00 each.

Sorry, I don't have a set in front of me now.

13b914
Thanks, I think that looks like the spares I have in my tool box. I will take a look later.
r_towle
Its good you are adding this. The turbo tie rods are dangerous without the spacer...they dont have enough thread into the tie rod end...scary little...

Rich
914Sixer
I believe the gentleman at the other site said you did not need them. Who is correct?
r_towle
The spacer does two things.
It spaces out the inner portion so you get enough thread to be SAFE when threading the rod into the outer tie rod....look at it with and without...you will see how close it is without.

It also provides a positive stop for the rack which is better than jamming the inner swivel into the rack housing...its just cleaner.

I would never install a set without the spacer..its to scary...look for yourself and decide.

That is all based upon the front end being a stock 4 cylinder 914 front end.
I think the 911 strut tubes have longer steering arms so you may not need it on a 911 front end.
They are designed for a 911, and adapted for a 914.

Rich
sww914
They all need the spacers, even the 911's. Rich is right, if you don't use the spacers you end up with tie rods that in effect aren't long enough and you need to compensate by leaving too few threads screwed into the outer rod end. Less than about 6 or 7 threads and it may break. If you change your camber down the road and have it aligned the alignment dude probably won't take it apart to see how many threads there are in the rod end and maybe leave you with 2 threads and your car will turn into a plow on the way home.
I left them out of my install...it's been like that for almost 20 years now.
When I installed them, I wanted extra threads into the rack- thus I left the spacers off.
I guess I will have another look this Sat.... thanks
FourBlades

Can someone post a picture of how turbo tie rods are supposed to be installed?

I need to do this to my car and I can't find a picture anywhere.

Thanks...John
Joe Ricard
Once upon a time someone mentioned there is a difference between early and late cars.
r_towle
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 9 2008, 02:16 PM) *

Once upon a time someone mentioned there is a difference between early and late cars.

Nope.
Had them on the same car...switch from early struts/rotors/ball joints/calipers to the later style 73++
Same issue, need the spacer.

The only difference that may be is if you swap in a 911 front end the steering arms may be longer...not sure.

911 steering rack is the same.

Rich
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 9 2008, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 9 2008, 02:16 PM) *

Nope.
Had them on the same car...switch from early struts/rotors/ball joints/calipers to the later style 73++
Same issue, need the spacer.

The only difference that may be is if you swap in a 911 front end the steering arms may be longer...not sure.

911 steering rack is the same.

Rich

My install included a complete SC front end.. that maybe the reason why my car is still intact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.