Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GLENN914-6
headbang.gif NEED HELP I have used a years worth of cuss words in the last 2 hours 73 914-6 conv. has not run in approx 2 years (finances and other priorities) I have in the last 3 weeks installed a rebuilt 2.7 rs clone, and am down to the last few things, unfortunately when going to bolt the drivers side axle the CV fell apart 6 ball bearings on my driveway! spent 2 hours trying to put back together without any luck. is there anyone that has put one back together? or do I need to purchase a new one
thanks
glenn confused24.gif
LvSteveH
They can be a pain. First, don't try to force it, there is a specific way they slip together, if there is a bind it just won't go. I usually just put all the bearings in the cage, line it up and tilt slightly until I find a spot that works. It's hard to explain, maybe someone can do better. Just walk away when you get to the point that you want to force it. Good luck.

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(GLENN914-6 @ Feb 7 2004, 05:00 PM)
is there anyone that has put one back together? or do I need to purchase a new one

it's non-intuitive - but the photograph in the Haynes is actually pretty good once you figure out what you're seeing ... it can be done - i have, and lived to tell the tale ...
Joe Bob
Dunno know if it's the right way....I put them together dry after a bath in the parts washer and THEN lube them.
GLENN914-6
Thanks guys, at least I know now that it can be done! now the dumb question do the ball bearings go between the cage and axle or around the outside of the cage , I could not figure a way to get them inside the cage and dont have the haynes manual to look at (poss will chase it down tomorrow
thanks again
glenn
LvSteveH
It should be on the outside of the cage. I know it's difficult to describe, but you want to line up the slots with the bearings and put it together at around 90 degrees (perpendicular), keeping the balls in by hand, then kind of fold it together. If it doesn't go, just pull it out and try again after rotating the cage and bearings. Ideally, it's easier if they are clean, like mike said, but there's no reason they shouldn't go together with lube.

Just say no to the hammer.

Steve
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(GLENN914-6 @ Feb 7 2004, 05:42 PM)
Thanks guys, at least I know now that it can be done!

...do the ball bearings go between the cage and axle or around the outside of the cage

it fell apart by itself with virtually no pressure - it will go back together the same way - no force involved.

basically, a Löbro CV joint is a fancy ball bearing that has no rotational movement between the inner and outer races.

the balls fit inside the cage - the cage holds the balls around the middle. once you've got it, it's usually easier to do them dry, but until then, it may be useful to use a little sticky grease to help hold things together during that 'i need 3 hands' part.'

if you think about how it came apart, you'll come to understand the relationship of the 6 balls and the way the inner race pivots into the outer race from 90 degrees. two balls - top and bottom, hold cage and inner race in place. the two balls on one side (i don't know which way you're holding it ...) come in up from the bottom, while the two balls on the other side go in down from the top.

you'll see the matching pattern of grooves the races form. more than that is just about impossible to describe in words - you really need the picture... surely there's one on the Pelican site tech articles somewhere ...
DNHunt
It's a tough thing to do the first time and really easy after you get the hang of it. One of those things that makes you pull your hair out then knock yourself in the head for not seeing the obvious. It's just a working puzzle, look at it like it's a game and force is not necessary.

If you have one that's still together have it handy to look at.

Dave
GLENN914-6
smilie_pokal.gif THANKS GUYS... its back together.
amazing what 12 hours and a little encouragement will do!
unfortunatley was unable to get car going today as I found out that the engine i purchased has a metric fitting on the block for the oil line and mine has been changed out to american aeroquip and I dont have the old block anymore arrrghh one more day. THANKS again guys
Glenn
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.