Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time for tag for my 904 kit car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
904svo
On Monday I get my vehicle registration renewal notice( TAG). Goto local
tag office, can't get tag need emissions testing required, WTF, ask girl at desk
what it takes to get tested, Don't know- she answered. Find out I need waiver
from Clean air force Goto clean air force on Tuesday explain problem to girl
she has me full out a form and want's copy of all the infomation that was used
to register the car for a title. She fax's it to the clean air force and was told to
wait to hear from them. Wednesday I get a phone call you been approved for
a exemption and the information will be emailed to you. Get information from
them Car has to pass 1975 TSI standards,WTF all kit cars from 1998 have to
this test! . So I ask myself what the TSI test, did a search on it found out
TSI= Two Speed Idle test, required on all kit cars, EPA testing requirement
which is require by most states.

Oh yes, the girl on the phone also tells me I have to do this ever year!! The
computer has no provision for it. Also I have to get the car tested on Monday
this will allow time for them to get the data base mark for special testing.

This is what I found out for kit car testing in Georgia and most of the other states.
So save copys of all the paper work that you used to get your kit car registered
you will need it ever year till they get the dam computer fix.

Root_Werks
I think we as car nuts are going to find this becoming more and more prevelant in other states if not now, soon. If you think about it, it's really a good thing. It keeps fuel dripping-from-tailpipe cars from being on the road. Well, supose to anyway. There have always been loop holes you could go through for kit cars or modified cars it seems. If this is as bad as it gets, doesn't seem all that bad. Let us know what the testing goes like for you. It's probably gonna be similar to what others have to go through soon.

Trivia - I had a late fastback Fiero with 5.7LT1 that had to go through emissions in WA. The folks at the station were actually really nice. Said as long as I met the standards of the make/model/year of the car as originally equiped, I was fine. I never did get there though and wound up selling the car becuase of it.
VaccaRabite
Does not seem to matter where you are in the country, there are more and more laws re: hobby cars.

With my 914, to make the car I wanted to make, I had to settle having it titled as an antique, complete with driving restrictions and other mumbo jumbo.

But, if I had not done that, I could forget using a header, or even SSI heater boxes. It would have failed the visual inspection. Talk to other locals, and find out what legal loopholes you have. Jake Raby might be really helpful in that arena.

Zach
Joe Bob
Hmm, here in bend over CA....my home built/kit car is completely exempt from smog and inspection.
r_towle
I am confused by what our state is doing.
We originally had the same exact laws as CA.
Every two years anything from 1983 forward was mounted on a chassis dyno and they smogged it on this dyno (based upon year, requirements for that year etc)
OK, that was strict...really hard to pass honestly...it took out and eliminated (junked) most cars from 83-96 over the course of a few years (probably the point)

Now, the new system started Oct 1st..
The cars are checked for safety...ok
The cars 1996 or newer are plugged in to OBD2 and checked...
Thats all.
Anything older than 1996 is just safety now.

How would this help the environment...
All cars before OBD2 are now just safety (lights, ball joints horn etc)

Rich
904svo
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 9 2008, 07:23 AM) *

Hmm, here in bend over CA....my home built/kit car is completely exempt from smog and inspection.

My car was exempt but the EPA is now forcing the states to comply. This is
the story I got from the clean air force.
carr914
No emissions or inspections here in Florida. You should see some the pieces of crap driving right next to Bentley's, Ferrari's etc

T.C.
Wes V
904svo;

What is your car registered as?

Here in California, there are a limited amount of registrations issued to "replicas" every year stating that they are, what they look like.

In other words, you could register a 1958 (?) 550 replica as such and would only have to comply with the smog laws for that year.

Wes
904svo
QUOTE(Wes V @ Oct 9 2008, 09:02 AM) *

904svo;

What is your car registered as?

Here in California, there are a limited amount of registrations issued to "replicas" every year stating that they are, what they look like.

In other words, you could register a 1958 (?) 550 replica as such and would only have to comply with the smog laws for that year.

Wes

My car was title as a 2005 Porsche 904 kit, here in Ga. they go by the title year.
For Kit cars you must get a Exemption for emissions for the year the car was title!
orange914
the worst trick ca. has used over the years is exempting earlier years from checks then re-enacting the checks later. they've done this several times since the 80's. the problem is it ends up junking a large portion of these cars because the owner scraps the air o.e. air cleaners, air pumps, whatever. now all of a sudden they need the reguired emmision stuff and have to pay more for it than the cars worth. icon8.gif

mike
Wes V
QUOTE(orange914 @ Oct 9 2008, 01:45 PM) *

the worst trick ca. has used over the years is exempting earlier years from checks then re-enacting the checks later. they've done this several times since the 80's. the problem is it ends up junking a large portion of these cars because the owner scraps the air o.e. air cleaners, air pumps, whatever. now all of a sudden they need the reguired emmision stuff and have to pay more for it than the cars worth. icon8.gif

mike

This is so totally true!!

People here just want to believe that not having to have a car smog checked means that it's smog exempt.

Wes Vann
904svo
Took it to the MV station they did a TSI test on it. It failed!
2500 RPM Test
HC ppm 665 Allowed 600
CO% 9.15 Allowed 6.0%

IDLE Test
HC ppm 2685 Allowed 600
CO% 6.65% Allowed 6.0%

The engine is a 2.0 ltr with a weber 86b cam with dual webers.
Root_Werks
Oh man, that ain't good. I am not sure if you'll be able to get carbs to go that low. Set the timming, replaced idle jets and main jets? That's about all I can think of.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(904svo @ Oct 13 2008, 12:44 PM) *

2500 RPM Test
HC ppm 665 Allowed 600
CO% 9.15 Allowed 6.0%

IDLE Test
HC ppm 2685 Allowed 600
CO% 6.65% Allowed 6.0%

Run on the absolutely lowest octane you can. Baby it there and back if you have to. Too much octane really affects high CO but it hurts HC too.

All ignition up to snuff.
GET IT HOT. Helps.

Back off the valve adjustment as much as you dare (or as much as necessary, whichever comes first. It effectively removes both lift and duration.

You're close on everything but idle HC. Retarding the spark a little might help. use the smallest idle jets that will allow the engine to run without lean miss. One misfire will send your HC through the roof. There are a few other tricks but this is the standard stuff.

PA checks safety only earlier than current model year - 30. So my MFI '71 911E was OK and I can start looking for that '79 930 I've always wanted ;-) ...
orange914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 13 2008, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(904svo @ Oct 13 2008, 12:44 PM) *

2500 RPM Test
HC ppm 665 Allowed 600
CO% 9.15 Allowed 6.0%

IDLE Test
HC ppm 2685 Allowed 600
CO% 6.65% Allowed 6.0%

Run on the absolutely lowest octane you can. Baby it there and back if you have to. Too much octane really affects high CO but it hurts HC too.

All ignition up to snuff.
GET IT HOT. Helps.

i would double check for misfires, that can really raise h.c.

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 13 2008, 03:29 PM) *

Retarding the spark a little might help.

if you can get away with retarding it, that will help h.c.'s go down, but be careful c.o.'s will be effected also (can/will go up). lean the jetting will lower c.o (a/f mixture), but most likely raise h.c. or misfire (unburnt fuel). vw... errr... porsche air cooled engines hate to run lean, where most emmision test want them barf.gif . last i knew ca. was o.k. with retarding the timing for smog checks (but not advancing). the trick is to lean the c.o. (mix)... jetting etc, then getting the increased h.c. down with timing, strong ign. etc... again make sure you aren't misfiring. you can't always hear/feel misfires. beerchug.gif

mike
Cap'n Krusty

mike

I've been doing smog related work in CA for 35 years, and I don't remember exempting/dis-exempting ever happening. The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Its for these reasons I had to get a 74 or older bus for my conversion with the 69 engine. I dont believe that most of these schemes are set up for the environment, I think they are about other things entirely. dry.gif
904svo
The engine was popping thru the exhaust on the 2500 rpm test. I removed the intake manifolds and fold the spacer gasket were broken. I then took the intake
manifolds to a belt sander and straighten them out. Boy were they warp!

I'm going to change the idle jet to a 45 instead of the 50 thats installed now also
the the distributor is being change to 1.7 ltr with the vacumn advance hook up this
should help on the idle test. Will post the results when done testing.
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 13 2008, 05:07 PM) *

mike

I've been doing smog related work in CA for 35 years, and I don't remember exempting/dis-exempting ever happening. The Cap'n

back in the early 80's (about 81') i recall haveing to get my then recently purchased 67 mustang smogged in order to register. they didn't have bi-yearly inspections then. also i remember having a nox device (vac. plug on the vac advance & decal put on the speedomete) put on my 71 442 (apx. in 82'). the "kit" was sold at your local flaps. then shortly thereafter (is that really a word?) ca. dropped the smogging of 71 & down, somewhere around 83 as i recall, (C.R.S. has set in headbang.gif ), not sure what year exactly but there were alot of stressed mustang and camero owners looking thru junk yards for air pumps and origanal air cleaners. either that or junk the car!

i held my smog liscence till 92 and looking back the laws worked the older cars into the junk yard. several different times the laws exempted or changed things one way or another and they eventually came back. look at the recent law the arnold brought in, but stopped it when ca. needed the extra $$$. it was exempting old cars by adding an additional year to the no smog list every year. as your car became 20 years old it dropped off the "to be smogged" list. it worked up to the 74' cars, then in 2004 arnold needed to keep income coming in to the ca. pockets so he stopped the exemption. he WILL choke the older cars again soon, there is already talk.

keep your L jet in a box! driving.gif beerchug.gif

mike
orange914
QUOTE(904svo @ Oct 13 2008, 07:06 PM) *

The engine was popping thru the exhaust on the 2500 rpm test. I removed the intake manifolds and fold the spacer gasket were broken. I then took the intake
manifolds to a belt sander and straighten them out. Boy were they warp!

I'm going to change the idle jet to a 45 instead of the 50 thats installed now also
the the distributor is being change to 1.7 ltr with the vacumn advance hook up this
should help on the idle test. Will post the results when done testing.

your on right track beer.gif .
904svo
Borrowed a Lamda meter (wide band) and took some readings

LAMDA TIMING CHT IDLE JET
1000rpm 14.7 12 350 50
2400rpm 18.1 12 350 50

Changed timing

1000rpm 13.1 8 350 50
2400rpm 18.2 8 350 50

Changed Idle jet to 55

1000rpm 14.4 8 350 55
2400rpm 16.1 8 350 55

Changed Idle jet to 60

1000rpm 14.7 8 300 60
2400rpm 14.7 8 300 60

driving.gif

So I'm off to the inspection station tomorrow for a retest.
Twise
My car is registered as a historical vehicle - no smog - $25 a year...

I am only supposed to drive to parades and such, but three years as a daily driver and not one mention by anyone. Besides, prove I am not going to a parade....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Twise @ Oct 15 2008, 01:33 PM) *

My car is registered as a historical vehicle - no smog - $25 a year...

I am only supposed to drive to parades and such, but three years as a daily driver and not one mention by anyone. Besides, prove I am not going to a parade....

Just smile and tell the officer you are on your way to the Gay Pride parade in Pokipsee and ask if he wants to go with a wink... This will upset him on so many levels he is likely to just send you on your way... Not that there is anything wrong with the Gay Pride parade in Pokipsee... biggrin.gif I had a gay student who said he got out of tickets by flirting with the cop.
Zundfolge
I got lucky here in Colorado, the county I live in dropped out of the emissions testing (and if they ever go back I'll just get the collector car plates for mine and never have to test again).

I agree these things are not about clean air but about bureaucrats believing they should be able to dictate every aspect of our lives.

You think cars are bad, you should try being a gun nut too (I can't imagine what it must be like for gun owners in states like CA, IL and NJ). At least when you buy a muffler for a car you don't have to register it with the federal government and pay them a $200 tax tongue.gif
shadygrady
You could let me have the car. I like those 904's anyway. av-943.gif We don't do smog testing in Floyd County. Yet. And you could borrow it from time to time.

Seriously, I hope it passes tomorrow before RCR. I am looking forward to seeing it run.
SGB
None of that inspection BS in in Bama. Our moto is "It IS 1950".
904svo
Update time, Engine PASS on one side but failed the other side.
To made a long story short I remove the head off the side that failed.

WTF, I found this on both pistons

Click to view attachment

Removed the other head and found the same thing but not as bad just dings.

I found on the bad side both exhaust valves were bent!!

After talking to Al and Blade Meredith it was determine that the web86b cam
with a .500 lift and stock springs the valves were floating and hitting the pistons
which were made by AA (stock 2.0 ltr) . Blake suggested I install heavy valve
springs, thats to John Jentz who had a spare set I will be installed them tommorow.

dflesburg
Guys, you arent thinking outside the box....

The work around is quite simple...

If you are using a 911 engine and suspension parts, get a title and 911 vin from a wreck and apply for a "rebuilt" title.

If you are using a 914 engine use a 914 vin and do the same.

Like anyone at the bmv ever saw a 904 or would even know one if it ran over them....
Brett W
Add a couple of gallons of denatured alcohol to your gas tank and then run it through. The motor will blow all kinds of clean. Or you could just call it a 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.