Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anything eles want to hit my car today?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
Driving to work today on the freeway. Half way there I hit some construction, they are resurfacing the road. Great. everyone slows down to a crawl for 15 min then..... Lets all speed up and throw rocks at each other. mad.gif I mean there was no escape. I even had the top off I was waiting for the raining rocks to plunget me to death after All the paint was stripped from the front of my car. Then... I get to 695 beltway and this small disc fo flying metal slightly smaller than a license plate comes right at my windshield, I ducked it was coming so fast. SMACK it nails my windshield, lucky no damage, just a scrape of tar #%^&*. Now for the finally... I get back up to speed in the left lane (3lane highway) and There is nobody in my lane I am crusing when all of a sudden a Large dumptruck Swerves into my lane with no signal ar15.gif 100 ft from my car going mabey 45 mph. I jam the brakes then the truck hits a bump and befor I know it its raining large White stones everywhere I see them bouncing off the concrete higher than my car. I had to swerve off into the lane he came from. UUUUUUUUgggg. Charlie Brown

I had to vent.
sww914
If you move to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, most of Nevada or The Dakotas there won't be much traffic anymore.
jsayre914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 9 2008, 12:34 PM) *

If you move to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, most of Nevada or The Dakotas there won't be much traffic anymore.

blink.gif Then there wont be anymore taildraggers to pass. I really like to pass cars, its what I live for biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
That sucks, it happens often around the PNW highways as well. Around here seems like we get a lot of SUV's with big tires that kick up most everything. dry.gif
FourBlades

Anyone put venture shield or 3M clear bra stuff on the front of their teeners?

I think you can get rolls of the stuff cheap and DIY.

Really helps cut down on the (small) rock dings.

Driving on 495 in DC one rush hour I had a whole brick fall off a truck ahead of
me and it shattered my windshield and dented the A pillar of my POS rental car.
Not much you can do to protect your car from that...

John
r_towle
It happens here alot, but I watch for it.
I never stay behind trucks that carry debris..run past them fast.

I have a buddy that had an R32 rabbit...we called it a deer magnet.
He hit four deer over the course of two years...
Fixed the car each time.
Sold it and bought a beemer after the last time..

It really was a magnet.

Rich
VaccaRabite
The road work on I83 has been a total bitch, I know you mean.

This AM I got caught behind a dump truck and it was like driving through a sand storm. it sounded like rain hitting my windshield, but it was sunny out.

By the way, Joe, now that I know what your car looks like, you have passed me twice around 9 - 9:30ish at night while I am coming home from classes. No kidding about liking to pass... lol. Both times you overtook me right around the shrewsberry exit. First time I tried to catch up, and then thought "if I get caught the cop is going to get me for speeding and racing too" and backed off. If you see a green Subaru with a 914world bumpersticker, its me.

Zach
SGB
Doncha just love those "Not responsible for debris coming from roadway" disclaimers on the back? Of course its coming from the roadway. Its called REBOUND!
watsonrx13
Happens ALOT here in Florida. In fact, so often that they passed a law that the insurance companies MUST replace a cracked windshield for FREE.... smile.gif

-- Rob
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 9 2008, 03:53 PM) *

The road work on I83 has been a total bitch, I know you mean.

This AM I got caught behind a dump truck and it was like driving through a sand storm. it sounded like rain hitting my windshield, but it was sunny out.

By the way, Joe, now that I know what your car looks like, you have passed me twice around 9 - 9:30ish at night while I am coming home from classes. No kidding about liking to pass... lol. Both times you overtook me right around the shrewsberry exit. First time I tried to catch up, and then thought "if I get caught the cop is going to get me for speeding and racing too" and backed off. If you see a green Subaru with a 914world bumpersticker, its me.

Zach

blink.gif Its not racing if I am long gone, and did not know you were there. biggrin.gif Anyway what kinda subaru, I wiil slow down for all subarus if I see you I will try to meet you even if a 1 min rest stop.
klikkid3
I say move out here to San Bernardino in So Cal, where traffic wont let you get fast enough for rocks to damage the car and the only thing you will be ducking is the bullets. unsure.gif
tronporsche
QUOTE(klikkid3 @ Oct 9 2008, 07:46 PM) *

I say move out here to San Bernardino in So Cal, where traffic wont let you get fast enough for rocks to damage the car and the only thing you will be ducking is the bullets. unsure.gif
av-943.gif .....Yes, true, but I can tell you rite now, after one hour of the bumper to bumper, clutch in clutch out experience here in So. Ca., he will move rite back !!!
dw914er
It happens here alot, but I watch for it.
I never stay behind trucks that carry debris..run past them fast.

just make sure there are no cops around. That was the main reason why i got my only speeding ticket. I sure do hate driving behind trucks (piece of metal one time fell off a truck and struck my acura, shredding the front bumper and cracking the front rim when my dad was driving it)

as for the inland empire/so cal area, traffic isnt too bad on certain freeways. If you've seen a silver 914 flying around, its probably me.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I really Hate trucks, 18 wheelers, twice i have been behind , in the passing lane

and have one of those bastards throw a cap on there tire. Rubber everwhere, i

was just lucky nothing hit my 914. That is the reason I don,t own a hand gun

if i did there would have been some other carnage on that road. Had to check my

pants after word . Dave slap.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.