Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick clutch job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EyeTrip
I know I have seen a thread somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

Can I change the clutch PP and disk without pulling the axles?

My 1911 is just not ready for install and I don't want to miss the 914 meet. driving.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(EyeTrip @ Oct 9 2008, 10:33 PM) *

My 1911 is just not ready for install and I don't want to miss the 914 meet. driving.gif

I don't see how you could... I think you'd have to unbolt the CV joints to get the transaxle back far enough. When are you planning on tackling this?
EyeTrip
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 9 2008, 11:38 PM) *

I don't see how you could... I think you'd have to unbolt the CV joints to get the transaxle back far enough. When are you planning on tackling this?

Tomarrow. I have to push the notchback (not ready for paint) out in the street first if I can't slam this clutch job quickly. sad.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(EyeTrip @ Oct 9 2008, 10:46 PM) *

Tomarrow. I have to push the notchback (not ready for paint) out in the street first if I can't slam this clutch job quickly. sad.gif

If you need help, I might be available... I'm not a clutch change expert on a 914, but I've dropped an engine biggrin.gif
sww914
A famous 914 wrench has done it in less than 1/2 hour like you described without removing the axles per Cap'n Krusty. He did it on a lift and he had done many many 914 clutches.
I've done it at the track including undoing the axles with skilled help in 45 minutes on the ground. I've done dozens, not many many. It was on a racecar so it's a bit easier. I even let the exhaust support the engine so I didn't need to support it with a jack. Not recommended. All in all, I can't think of any car that I've worked on that's easier than a 914 to do a clutch job.
EyeTrip
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 10 2008, 12:09 AM) *

A famous 914 wrench has done it in less than 1/2 hour like you described without removing the axles per Cap'n Krusty. He did it on a lift and he had done many many 914 clutches.
I've done it at the track including undoing the axles with skilled help in 45 minutes on the ground. I've done dozens, not many many. It was on a racecar so it's a bit easier. I even let the exhaust support the engine so I didn't need to support it with a jack. Not recommended. All in all, I can't think of any car that I've worked on that's easier than a 914 to do a clutch job.

Bingo! Thanks for the info.
EyeTrip
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 10 2008, 12:02 AM) *

QUOTE(EyeTrip @ Oct 9 2008, 10:46 PM) *

If you need help, I might be available... I'm not a clutch change expert on a 914, but I've dropped an engine biggrin.gif

Dude, if you want to drop by, I could always use the 914 company.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(EyeTrip @ Oct 9 2008, 11:19 PM) *

Dude, if you want to drop by, I could always use the 914 company.

PM me address and time, and I'll see what I can do...
Rusty
If you're undoing the axles, don't forget to replace the CV gaskets and use NEW schnorr washers for the CV bolts.

I used to retorque after 50 miles or so... now I use Dr. Evil's CV drilled CV joint bolts.

hth,
Rusty
EyeTrip
Thanks Rusy for the advise. New seals went in and the washers had good teeth, I'm not worried.

Thanks to Todd Enlund <<-- you da man!!! We were successful getting the ol girl back on the road with Todd parts.

Todd Enlund, I Can't tell you how much that help me. THANK YOU!
EyeTrip
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 10 2008, 12:09 AM) *

I tried to pull the trans back far enough to do the clutch without pulling the axles. It didn't work for me. So Todd and I pulled the axles off and found still not enough movement. I finally figured out it was that damn ground strap holding me back. Then I backed up a few steps and figured that it is possible to pull the trans back far enough to do the clutch without disconnecting the axles.

Just for the recoard it took me 4 hours to do. The factors were, beer, buddies showing, and Todd went home to get me a pressure plate. (and saved the day)
sww914
Damned ground straps! I made an extra long one for my car out of 2/0 wire with huge crimped ends. I can probably hang the car from it.
Demick
Takes under 5 minutes to disconnect the CV's. And probably 15 minutes to reconnect and torque them. I don't understand trying to replace the clutch without disconnecting them. Not worth the effort. So much less effort and frustration to pull the tranny completely and have the access space.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.