Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone ever used one of these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
Carbag.com

Looks like a good idea for winter storage, im just afraid that it would hold in the moisture. Anyone currently use one?
warrenoliver
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 10 2008, 11:35 AM) *

Carbag.com

Looks like a good idea for winter storage, im just afraid that it would hold in the moisture. Anyone currently use one?

OrthoBiz did something like that last year. IIRC, he seemed to be pleased with the results. I think the system he used was some kind of inflated plastic bubble.

Warrenoliver
r_towle
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Oct 10 2008, 12:35 PM) *

Carbag.com

Moisture is dealth with by using the drypacks...seem like a great idea.
If it keeps Mice out it would be awesome..

RIch
Jeffs9146
Moisture absorbers

I use these on my boat year round! They are great!
turboman808
Well it says indoor only on there site. If your storing your car indoors do you really need this.

I haven't found a good outside solution, I really don't think there is one. Wind and specks of dirt will destroy paint.

I have a few economy car covers but I think I am gonna spend a few dollars and get this lycra fabric covers for the cool factor.
Dr. Roger
the local boat yard in Connecticut uses them to dry dock yachts for the winter. basically a thick garbage bag with desiccant. just make sure the vehicle goes in absolutely dry or it'll store the moisture and cause mold at the very least.
ScooterD
Here is an alternative that cost me about the same as the carbag. My original motivation was to preserve the original paint here in earthquake country. It was more work to start with, but is easy to get the car in and out. The doors fit very tight and I caulked the joints so there is not an appreciable amount of air exchange with the outside world (my garage). In a moister climate you could use the dessicant bags to absorb any moisture over the winter. The cool thing is I don't put a cover on the car and it comes out perfectly clean. The kids can't run their bikes into it and nothing can fall on it. Another added bonus is the other end of the box is a giant work surface that is 4' x 7' and it comes in very handy.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
There's something about that last photo that makes your 914 look like a 2/3rds scale model. smile.gif

That's a cool idea! Nothing worse than garage rash.
orthobiz
Hey, orthobiz here and I lots of little things to say.

First, ScooterD's arrangement reminds me of a conversation I had with John Paterek in the 80's about his Porsche America roadster. He had a crawl space in his NJ home with access from the outside of the house. He put a piece of iron on the floor of the space and it didn't rust. He then put his car in there (before it was worth 7 figures and was just about uninsurable) with good results.

Second, I used the giant plastic bag from Michigan back in the 80's. I stored my 1976 for about four years with good effect. Never treated the gas or anything, put a new battery in and it started up easily. But I agree, don't put it away wet! And this was a primitive bag: just a really big plastic bag with chip clips for the end. Now it looks much better with a zipper and everything.

Third, I used the fan driven bag last winter and loved it. Here it is in time lapse mode:
Storage Bag

Paul
dbgriffith75
What about a giant foodsaver machine? Think an oversized freezer bag vaccum sealed would work? biggrin.gif
type11969
I have a carbag. I used it to store my beetle in when I had it stored over a winter in a crappy leaky roofed garage. Problem was that come the spring the garage floor collected enough water to puddle up higher than the zipper. When I opened it up, there was mold growing on the dessicant bag! Zipper isn't waterproof . . . fortunately little rust damage was done.

I now use it in my basement here in Philly that floods and has little air exchange so it stays humid. I put all my extra car parts in the bag with the standard dessicant cups you can buy at home depot. No problem with rusting so far, I have to swap out the dessicant about 3 times a year.

I think you could use it with okay success outside if you watched zipper placement and it was shielded from the wind.

My parents are using one to store a TT for the winter in a garage up in the country outside NYC, they threw some peppermint leaves in there (supposed to be a mouse deterrent) along with some of those ultrasonic (?) mouse deterrent devices. Hopefully it works, I'd hate to think how much of a nightmare it would be to deal with chewed up wires in that car.

-Chris

Keep in mind they recommend a car cover between the car and the bag (more $).
abbott295
ScooterD's box reminds me of a shipping container. That would work for outside. No idea of the cost.
carr914
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Oct 10 2008, 08:21 PM) *

There's something about that last photo that makes your 914 look like a 2/3rds scale model. smile.gif

Sure does. Get some Hot Wheels stickers to put on the closed doors for effect biggrin.gif

T.C.
Slick914
I use the Carbag to store my Chevelle. It works as advertised. Basicly just a big ass poly tarp with a zipper. Great solution for storing a car in a barn or garage that doesn't seal out moisture or humidity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.