Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unknown Wire on Speedometer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trav012000
Hey guys, I need a bit of info here. I just got my 914 off ebay a few weeks ago and since then i've been doing some minor and major surgery. I'm under the dash right now trying to figure out the problem that's causing my radio to short out every time I try to turn on the wipers. smile.gif

Anyway, I was under the dash when I found a wire that wasnt hooked up to anything. Upon investigation it seems to be attached to the top left of the speedo gauge if you're looking at the back of it. My best guess from what I can see and what i've been able to find online (next to nothing) is ground.

If you need any more information just ask, I'll do what I can to clear up any questions.

Thanks in advance.
Root_Werks
What color is the wire? Brown would be ground. White with I think a green stripe is the gauge ilumination(There should be 2 of those wires), blue or a green I think was the running light indicator and that should be all you have up to the speedo.
r_towle
QUOTE(Trav012000 @ Oct 10 2008, 03:37 PM) *

Hey guys, I need a bit of info here. I just got my 914 off ebay a few weeks ago and since then i've been doing some minor and major surgery. I'm under the dash right now trying to figure out the problem that's causing my radio to short out every time I try to turn on the wipers. smile.gif

Anyway, I was under the dash when I found a wire that wasnt hooked up to anything. Upon investigation it seems to be attached to the top left of the speedo gauge if you're looking at the back of it. My best guess from what I can see and what i've been able to find online (next to nothing) is ground.

If you need any more information just ask, I'll do what I can to clear up any questions.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like the power wire for the radio is hooked up to the wrong side of the wiper fuse on the fuse block.
Look at the back of the fues block (two screws take it down and let it hang so you can work on the back of it)

You stereo should have an inline fuse for contant power (memory), keyed power (main power) and antenna power.
The contant and main power leads should get plugged into the fues box on different tabs, but they should not be using the main fuses..they should be plugged in on the constant power side of the fues panel...

Rich
Trav012000
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 10 2008, 05:00 PM) *

What color is the wire? Brown would be ground. White with I think a green stripe is the gauge ilumination(There should be 2 of those wires), blue or a green I think was the running light indicator and that should be all you have up to the speedo.

Thanks, it's black and blue. My gauge lights dont come on but my light indicator does. I've got the sneaky suspicion that the previous owner completely rewired the car. It's doubtful they stuck to the color codes. biggrin.gif
Trav012000
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 10 2008, 05:28 PM) *

It sounds like the power wire for the radio is hooked up to the wrong side of the wiper fuse on the fuse block.
Look at the back of the fues block (two screws take it down and let it hang so you can work on the back of it)

You stereo should have an inline fuse for contant power (memory), keyed power (main power) and antenna power.
The contant and main power leads should get plugged into the fues box on different tabs, but they should not be using the main fuses..they should be plugged in on the constant power side of the fues panel...

Rich

Awesome r_towle thanks. I was just about to look up a wiring schematic to figure that exact thing out. I'll have a look.

Thanks again.
r_towle
Look in Pelican Parts web site, they have colored wiring diagrams...very helpful to have online...you can make them really big...

RIch
AvalonFal
Not sure of your year, but I just rewired the gauges on my '74. Here's how it was:
The black/blue stripe wires are the gauge illumination (2 bulbs) . Brown is ground. White wire goes to the green lens parking light indicator.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.