Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: getting jiggy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
I'm getting steering wheel vibration at 55-70 mph on 25" dia tires.
Ran out of things to check.
Had the tires balanced, checked hub bearing play, shook the struts with no movement, steering arm joints ok, 1 rubber steering joint was worn so I replaced it and other side checked ok although it was hard.

I don't remember the tooth mesh being adjustable. I also didn't get a good check of the strut ball joint since the arms are tensioned.

Any ideas?? confused24.gif

Thanks,
Chris
sj914
Have you checked the tire tread. I once ran some really bald tires and had the same results wth the steering wheel.
John2kx
Chris,

Had the same problem with a set of tires that were freshly balanced. Problem was eliminated by moving front tires/wheels to rear of car. What I found was one of the original front tires out of round.

Lift tire off ground and spin.......visually check outer diameter of tire while spinning. It will be obvious if this is the problem.

John
Chris914n6
QUOTE(sj914 @ Feb 8 2004, 03:22 AM)
Have you checked the tire tread. I once ran some really bald tires and had the same results wth the steering wheel.

Tires have a whopping 3-4k miles on them. Can't even tell the rears get spun so much yet haha.

Thanks John, I'll look into that closer.

Chris
markb
QUOTE(John2kx @ Feb 8 2004, 03:47 AM)
Chris,

Had the same problem with a set of tires that were freshly balanced. Problem was eliminated by moving front tires/wheels to rear of car. What I found was one of the original front tires out of round.

John

agree.gif
Chris914n6
Justa follow up...

turns out I had a flat spot on my right front tire, and the left front was not the straightest tread I've ever seen mad.gif Swapped the fronts to the rear and spent the last few weeks roasting them burnout.gif
Haven't gotten to putting them back on the front yet but it rides smoother now.

Sometimes HP is useful laugh.gif too bad I have different size tires.

Thanks guys, beerchug.gif
Chris
Mark Henry
I had new (but old) tires and had the same problem.

As the old saying goes... "if you don't use it, you lose it" applies to tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.