Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Starting fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
Two years ago I bought a Stihl string trimmer. I have found that it isimpossible to start when the gas/oil mixture is over a month old. It runs great if it gets started every week, but let is sit a while and I end up pulling my guts out trying to start it. I tried to use some old starting fluid (maybe 12 yrs old) and stihl no luck. Does starting fluid have a shelf life??? Makes me want to go back to an electric weed eater.

Eddy
Eric_Shea
Spray a bunch of it into a cloth. Stick your nose into it and breath deep... that should tell ya. biggrin.gif

On a more serious note; some of those things really depend on the position they are stored. An "engine down" position can casue a rich condition upon start-up. Try foregoing their standard instructions and simple choke it (meaning don't push the bulbous bulb 3x first).
r_towle
The carbs are really simple also...
Just take off the aircleaner , remove the carb and spary carb cleaner through it...all over the place...

Works for me everfy year...

I HATE two stroke motors on those things...but they can be made to run perfectly if you maintain them yearly.

RIch
IronHillRestorations
If it doesn't spray, then it's too old. That's the only time I've had it go bad. We've got a diesel tractor that needs a shot when it gets cold (it has a special port for starting fluid), and I've had a can last for several years.

Make sure your oil/fuel mixture is correct. If it's too heavy with oil it can cause starting and fouling problems. More than likely it's the spark plug. Champion makes an upgrade plug for two cycles that does work better and last longer.

I have a Stihl string trimmer, and backpack blower and they both start without too much trouble.
smooth_eddy
" Try foregoing their standard instructions and simple choke it (meaning don't push the bulbous bulb 3x first).

Yep, that did it. Fired up and even smoked worse than my 914.

Thanks, Eddy
IronHillRestorations
It's a 2 cycle, it should smoke some. I'd make sure you've got the proper mix.
r_towle
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 11 2008, 01:37 PM) *

I have a Stihl string trimmer, and backpack blower and they both start without too much trouble.

The operative word...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.