Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D/E suspension set up. looking for feedback on my current idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
I am not going to go way overkill (at least I think I'm not)

I have put together several 911 suspensions but this is my first attempt at a 914 so please poke holes in my ideas where you see fit. Since my car will see limited street use (maybe 2K miles a year tops) I want it to be more slanted for the track. However, I am used to setting up 911's as stated but since the 914 is more of a neutral car to begin with I am a little confused on what 'staggered' rates to go with if any.

I am thinking right now to go with the following:

Front:
23.5 mm front torsion bars with Bilstein sport inserts
The complete front suspension that I have is off an SC so I thought I would just leave the SC sway bar on there. I will just use Derlin bushings

Rear:
This was more difficult to decide b/c trying to interpret effective rate of torsion bars and convert it to coil over spring rates. However, I found this site:
http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?article=39
It is a 924/944 site but I think they have similar weight distributions to the 914.

Based on what I read I think the rear will be:
500 # rear springs with with this set up:
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/467/
600 bucks for bilstein rears with adjustable coil overs and springs seems reasonable?

However, reading the snipet that is included in that advertisement makes me believe that the 500# is way off base. Does this mean that 23.5 mm fronts are way over kill for the front of a 914? That is what I used to run on my 67 911.

Lastly, does anyone make adjustable sway bars for the 914? It seems like if I put the SC bar on the front I should put something more than the stock 914 bar on the rear or is that good enough? Maybe run something smalle than the stock SC bar on the front?

Ok this is windy enough for a first pass.

Larry
d914

warning....not the expert...but..

front:
yes ajustable sway bars available and w a 23 torsion I think you would need more sway and the under body 911 is not as effective..you should go for the through body...Targett or elaphant is a good starting point..

500lb springs are a bit steep...I ran 200's with a 6...probabbly needed 250-300...but that would be very firm...

do the bushings in the back..Derin or needle if available or elephant...Elephant racing is another good resource...

If I remember right...22/23 torsion/sway up front
coil over back with 200-220
good bushings are worth the money!!

QUOTE(LarryR @ Oct 11 2008, 01:51 PM) *

I have put together several 911 suspensions but this is my first attempt at a 914 so please poke holes in my ideas where you see fit. Since my car will see limited street use (maybe 2K miles a year tops) I want it to be more slanted for the track. However, I am used to setting up 911's as stated but since the 914 is more of a neutral car to begin with I am a little confused on what 'staggered' rates to go with if any.

Front:
The complete front suspension that I have is off an SC so I thought I would just leave the SC sway bar on there. I will just use Derlin bushings

Rear:
This was more difficult to decide b/c trying to interpret effective rate of torsion bars and convert it to coil over spring rates. However, I found this site:
It is a 924/944 site but I think they have similar weight distributions to the 914.

600 bucks for bilstein rears with adjustable coil overs and springs seems reasonable?

However, reading the snipet that is included in that advertisement makes me believe that the 500# is way off base. Does this mean that 23.5 mm fronts are way over kill for the front of a 914? That is what I used to run on my 67 911.

Lastly, does anyone make adjustable sway bars for the 914? It seems like if I put the SC bar on the front I should put something more than the stock 914 bar on the rear or is that good enough? Maybe run something smalle than the stock SC bar on the front?

Larry

LarryR
QUOTE(d914 @ Oct 11 2008, 11:03 AM) *

warning....not the expert...but..

front:
yes ajustable sway bars available and w a 23 torsion I think you would need more sway and the under body 911 is not as effective..you should go for the through body...Targett or elaphant is a good starting point..

500lb springs are a bit steep...I ran 200's with a 6...probabbly needed 250-300...but that would be very firm...

do the bushings in the back..Derin or needle if available or elephant...Elephant racing is another good resource...

If I remember right...22/23 torsion/sway up front
coil over back with 200-220
good bushings are worth the money!!

QUOTE(LarryR @ Oct 11 2008, 01:51 PM) *

Front:

Rear:

Larry

Thanks Greg,

I had looked at the elephant site and did not see a 914 rear sway bar. I will take another look and also look at Targett (I have not even looke at them yet).

Larry
Dave_Darling
Those are some beefy torsion bars up front!

Probably something on the order of 300 lb/in spring rate on the rears to complement those fronts.

Lots of places make adjustable front sway bars for 914s: Weltmeisster, Tarrett, Smart Racing, and more. Just about anyone who makes 911 sway bars also makes 914 ones; the fronts are just about completely interchangeable.

There are also some people that prefer softer springs and larger sway bars for 914 track cars.

The through-body setup has better geometry than the under-body kind, and is easier to make adjustable.

A very light rear sway bar may be a good thing for you, but it is debatable.

Roller bearings or metal bushings to replace the stock rubber ones can help the suspension work a lot better as well.

--DD
sww914
Just for another data point. I'm running 22mm torsions with 200# springs, 1860# car, 205/50 and 225/50 Hoosier DOT R6's.
J P Stein
I run 21mm T bars up front, 275 or 300 springs in the rear. The Tarett AR bar is set half hard. The only rubber in the suspension is at the rear shock mounts.
You would not like this set-up on the street, but your dentist would love you.....handles gud tho.
1725 lbs wet.
LarryR
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 11 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Those are some beefy torsion bars up front!

Probably something on the order of 300 lb/in spring rate on the rears to complement those fronts.

Lots of places make adjustable front sway bars for 914s: Weltmeisster, Tarrett, Smart Racing, and more. Just about anyone who makes 911 sway bars also makes 914 ones; the fronts are just about completely interchangeable.

There are also some people that prefer softer springs and larger sway bars for 914 track cars.

The through-body setup has better geometry than the under-body kind, and is easier to make adjustable.

A very light rear sway bar may be a good thing for you, but it is debatable.

Roller bearings or metal bushings to replace the stock rubber ones can help the suspension work a lot better as well.

--DD

Thanks, it sounds like a good front sway bar, stock rear, 300 # rear springs to match the 23 mm front.

QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 11 2008, 11:34 AM) *

Just for another data point. I'm running 22mm torsions with 200# springs, 1860# car, 205/50 and 225/50 Hoosier DOT R6's.

Is your car a 4 or 6? I think my car will probably weigh in around 2k or 2100 pounds as a 6. I will be running 205's all the way around.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone this is very helpful. You dont have to worry about me being the competition b/c the best suspension in the world would not make up for my lack of tallent beerchug.gif

Hope to see as many responses as to set ups as possible so I can get an avg / std deviation of sping rates.
ConeDodger
While I was reading this Larry the word 'too' came to mind often...

I like stock or one mm bigger T-bars up front. Go bigger with the swaybar and make it adjustable so you can stiffen things up as you wish. This makes for a more compliant straight line suspension that will not beat you up on those 2000 street miles. The rear springs are going to depend on the weight, torque, and HP of the engine as well as the front T-bars but 500# is way too much and I doubt they are even available short of custom wound. Keep in mind the shocks you have chosen or even Koni Yellow adjustables are 1970 tech. You can do better with externally adjustable shocks but get out the check book... Delrin is ok but Mark's needle bearing or Elephant are heavenly. They allow your shocks to work. Consider them. A corner balanced alignment by a good shop that knows your goals will be gold... I would imagine one of the shops by Infinion could help you in your area but if not I have a guy up here I use.

Set up is highly individual. I like softer, you might like brutal... Neither of us is wrong.

See you next week at the Reunion?
brant
the racers really only run 22 front torsions if you want to be able to drive on the majority of tracks (that aren't gloss smooth)

your front is probably a little stiff
d914
I agree with grant..I believe my old car was 22mm on the torsions..
Next car is street and track, Going 911sc spec up front with a 19mm through body sway. delrin up front with grease fittings..

Coil over with 140-180's on back with elephant bushings...
Hoping for tight but compliant...

if I ever get er done!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.