Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie says Hi!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
I have just posted a question about the heating system in my 914, so I though it may be polite to introduce my car to you.

1973 Crystal Blue 1.7l D-jetronic.

I have done various things so far and have stripped out the interior and replaced carpets and dynamatted the whole interior put in extra soundproofing and replaced the carpets with a set from AP (Very impressed, thanks Helen.) Anyway a picture says a thousand words so heres a few thousand....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

bye1.gif
pete-stevers
welcome to the club... er..world....and madness welcome.png
carr914
Rod, your thread is not complete without the shot of the trunk & amplifiers

T.C.
914rrr
welcome.png

Very nice 914! beerchug.gif
Rod
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 11 2008, 10:33 PM) *

Rod, your thread is not complete without the shot of the trunk & amplifiers

T.C.

Fair enough...

IPB Image

I'm going to huge lengths to get the sound in this 914 very good. The amps above are coming out and are being replaced with a big McIntosh aktion035.gif

I'll get a thread up about the sound system if you like. Tron has requested that I do so already, but I'm not far enough along to do a complete "show off thread" -

here's a teaser of the fiberglass work up front for Hybrid Audio legatia Components and a CDT sub smile.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
roadster fan
welcome.png Looks like a very nice car. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim
Gustl
welcome.png ... from not soooo far away biggrin.gif

nice looking car beerchug.gif

porschecb
welcome.png Nice car! How much amp. power? look like a lot!
markb
Oops, double post
markb
welcome.png

Don't forget that the rear trunk gets lots of heat from the exhaust. Not a really good place for amps.

BTW, nice license plates. smile.gif
plymouth37
piratenanner.gif welcome.png piratenanner.gif
JRust
Looking good! Keep us posted on your progress & always post pics biggrin.gif
Gint
Nice 914!

welcome.png
Rod
QUOTE(porschecb @ Oct 12 2008, 01:24 AM) *

welcome.png Nice car! How much amp. power? look like a lot!

Yes it is a lot, but don't worry the system is purely SQ - I'm not filling the front trunk with 15 inch subs to boom my way along the road...

The amps there are all Old Soundstream Class A's all together about 1200 watts, but they are being replaced by a single McIntosh with around 800 to keep the system a bit simpler.

Mark, the underside of the car has been lined with firewall type soundproofing above the exhausts, so the heat is not too much of a problem anymore. The water leaking in around the rear light buckets was though icon8.gif until I removed them and found that one had a big crack and was basically doing no sealing job whatsoever smilie_pokal.gif

The Plates are great fun, such a shame they are not 914 VWP instead of EWP, oh well.
bembry
Rod,
That's a beautiful car--that color with the rims and Porsche stripe and unpainted sail panels really works nicely--I wouldn't have thought so, but it does! I'll file that away for future ideas on my car!
So.Cal.914
Looks Killer Dude, color works well on your car.

Welcome to the JungleClick to view attachment
jc914
Welcome to the Forum, car looks nice keep us posted welcome.png
Dave_Darling
The color looks like Olympic Blue, BTW. A nice color, if I do say so myself! wink.gif

Nice looking car, though I'm not sure it makes the best platform for a sound system.

--DD
Rod
Cheers guys glad you like it beerchug.gif

The Colour is actually Crystal Blue Dave, It is often mistaken for many others though. Drove to to the coast today in it, about 140 miles round trip and, as always a faultless enjoyable drive. There was a Harley Davidson meet on the seafront (A yearly affair, 1000s of bikes) Really cool to be sat at the traffic lights and have bikers peer down into the car and say "what is it" & "Nice Porsche!!!" etc. Puts a real smile back on my face - driving has become so boring, the Porsche has changed all that....... I'm addicted aktion035.gif

Ah the sound system - actually it's not THAT bad a choice, yes it's far easier in a big saloon, but we like a challenge..

The Sub has to go upfront (footwell in my case) So excellent for upfront staging.
The Speaker locations are actually very good, you are able to get the speakers as on/off axis as you wish, so again benefits in soundstage depth and width.
The underside of the dash can be fitted with a totally flat board, so the reflections are mirrored left and right and without a centre console the sound is not absorbed or reflected off this either.

I have a Thread all about the install so far on the UK's forum all about audio of all kinds - www.talkaudio.co.uk for which I am a Mod.

I'm not interested in Boom Boom, but rather the finest SQ, so hopefully with a bit of work I'll get it to sound sweet. Oh it will also all be invisible from the outside.. smash.gif
veltror
Hi Rod, with all those amps heating should be the least of your worries smile.gif
AJB
welcome.png
Welcome from just up the road - kinda (the Midlands).

Good to see another brit signing up. Farnham eh? I believe I may have crawled through a field or two near you. I've almost certainly driven a green Land Rover through there on more than one ocassion.

Nice looking car - hopefully I'll bump into you at one of the UK meets, if mine ever recovers from it's recent MOT failure!

Alastair
championgt1
Nice car. welcome.png
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 12 2008, 01:55 PM) *
The Colour is actually Crystal Blue Dave, It is often mistaken for many others though.

Interesting--it looks very close to the original 914 color Olympic Blue.

Is Crystal Blue some other manufacturer's color?

--DD
Rod
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 13 2008, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Oct 12 2008, 01:55 PM) *
The Colour is actually Crystal Blue Dave, It is often mistaken for many others though.

Interesting--it looks very close to the original 914 color Olympic Blue.

Is Crystal Blue some other manufacturer's color?

--DD

Hi Dave, I owe you an apology, It is infact Olympic Blue! It was sold to me as Crystal blue, but checking the chassis plate and with the 914 charts it is Olympic.

I have already had a colour spray made up in Crystal blue, and it is a very good match - near perfect in fact, so I will get another done in Olympic blue and try that out on a patch in the interior and see which is closer....

Strange one, the car has been known in the Uk for many years as Crystal Blue, it may have been wrong all along......

confused24.gif
AgPete139
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
SGB
I call it nice! Is the sound system going to be functional (audible at all basically) with the top off? Thats the challenge- these things way preceede the idea of controlling interior airflow with the top off- all my sound just blows out! I'll be watching
popcorn[1].gif
Rod
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 13 2008, 09:55 PM) *

I call it nice! Is the sound system going to be functional (audible at all basically) with the top off? Thats the challenge- these things way preceede the idea of controlling interior airflow with the top off- all my sound just blows out! I'll be watching
popcorn[1].gif

Should be yes. I have done installs in convertibles before and as long as you have the headroom amp wise you should have enough volume. I am running a Subwoofer in the footwell, only an 8 inch, but a good one, in this enclosure - (Not finished yet,) but I'm sure you can imagine where it fires..

IPB Image
IPB Image

Made these tonight, they are modified A&P baffles filled and expanded to fit a pair of 6.5" KEF Uni-q components, I covered them in Vinyl tonight, should have a system in for the weekend beerchug.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.