Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
RiqueMar
I realized that the thread I had started originally was mostly my introduction to the site, so I ignored it, so here's my build thread. Pics to come.
RiqueMar
This is basically the car when I first got it, minus the layers, upon layers......upon layers of paint.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Flares and installation

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Flares, check!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Alumi-lead before bond-O

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Ok, as of right now, this is currently my car as is, please, comments welcome!

Today (10.11.08) painted the wall underneath the dash, the dash mount, and the glovebox....

Before.....
IPB Image

After....
IPB Image

After that, moved onto the dash-mount...
IPB Image

While I was at it, I taped off and hit up the Fuel Tank...
IPB Image
IPB Image

And since I did that, I thought I might as well hit up the wiper assembly...
IPB Image

While doing that, my front Valiance arrived! Yay eBay!
IPB Image

And to end on a high note, I found the 5 lugs, and the 6 steering wheel my Dad had stored away....
IPB Image
IPB Image
Gint
Nice work!

welcome.png
Lou W
Looking good. smile.gif
jmill
Very nice. What color are you going with? Back to Zambezi?
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif Nice work. If you keep this up your car will be very clean and well sorted. piratenanner.gif
RiqueMar
Haha, good question, I'm either going Black or a Grey/dark grey OR if I go Signal Orange to match my dad's six, I can get a 6 cyl.
RiqueMar
Well, did´nt get much done today, Homework to do and such.

Further cleaned all the old goo off the dash.
Pulled more of the 911 suspension out.
Cleaned off the motor for the wipers.

Tomorrow I´ll be digging out the headlamps and mounts and cleaning and installing them.
championgt1
Nice work. Make sure to keep us posted.
FourBlades

That can't be a real 914, it doesn't have enough rust on it!!! happy11.gif

Seriously, that is looking good, should be an excellent car when you are done.

John

PanelBilly
Roll the fender lips under now, before you start the finishing process. If your not sure what I'm talking about, check my threads. I took some pictures and posted a thread on this subject a few months ago.
jc914
Great job looking good. you are lucky not that much rust keep us posted
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 13 2008, 09:04 AM) *

Roll the fender lips under now, before you start the finishing process. If your not sure what I'm talking about, check my threads. I took some pictures and posted a thread on this subject a few months ago.

Which thread is that?
RiqueMar
Didn't end up getting much done this weekend with the car. All I was able to do was spend about an hour cleaning the Wiper motor and cleaning the old glue of the dash mount and such.
Root_Werks
Cool! Steel flares! welder.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Oct 11 2008, 11:59 PM) *

Haha, good question, I'm either going Black or a Grey/dark grey OR if I go Signal Orange to match my dad's six, I can get a 6 cyl.

id go with the /6 option smile.gif

good work though.
JoeSharp
Aaron: while you have the whiper assembly out grease the piviots and shafts with white litho. You don't ever want to take it out again.
RiqueMar
Finally some updates.....

So this weekend, I was actually able to work on the car, Mid-terms in school and stuff at work have been holding me back, but I was finally able to put in a few un-interrupted hours.

Took the 911 suspension I got and was able to scrape to previous cars crap off the top, and get them ready to throw in a parts washer. More importantly, got one of the sets of headlights that my dad has lying around (I think there's enough for 4 cars, lol) and stripped and fixed those up really nice. Pictures to follow in 2 minutes.
RiqueMar
Just a few pictures that I took....

The headlights when I found them, they where pretty thrashed and such....
IPB Image

IPB Image

I ended up having to drill out the heads of the screws because they where just simply TOO rusted to do anything with.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

A couple of pictures before I completely disassembled everything, and sandblasted....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Post sandblasted, painted them with hammered rustoleum, looks realyl cool and shiny!

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
So I realized after last week, that my post was rather boring, this week, I decided to throw in some metal, sparks, and fire! sawzall-smiley.gif

This week, I got to fix the trunk, which I, erm, messed up previously. To match the left side, I also welded the right.

Some before pictures....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
And, as I promised, metal, fire, and sparks!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Tomorrow, I'll be grinding them down and such, as to make them match. For now, it's Saturday, and we're heading to Downtown San Diego!
beerchug.gif drunk.gif beer.gif
RiqueMar
Well, decided I did'nt like the battery tray, so I thought I'de execute a little "Weight Reduction." sawzall-smiley.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

JRust
You are making great progress. Keep it up smile.gif
southernmost914
Click to view attachment
I swear I see a ignition switch on that dash board aktion035.gif

Steve
RiqueMar
biggrin.gif would'nt have any idea what you are talking about biggrin.gif

So today, I went back to the trunk and smoothed out all the welds from yesterday and placed Alumi-lead on the seams. Also, used the cut out and traced a new piece for the battery tray.

Tomorrow, I'll be sanding down that Alumi-lead and getting it ready for Bond-o, then I move onto the engine bay, which is pretty well off, all it needs is preping and possibly this weekend I can spray the trunk, undercoating, and engine bay. I think it´s safe to say (except for the tray) the welding is done.
Gint
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Nov 16 2008, 12:47 PM) *
I swear I see a ignition switch on that dash board aktion035.gif
Steve

And that ignition switch you painted rattle can black is worth a couple hundred bucks...
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 17 2008, 06:40 AM) *

And that ignition switch you painted rattle can black is worth a couple hundred bucks...

Good thing it's mine and it's staying in the family. Lol, nah, I did'nt paint it, I just got jumpy with the camera and took a few pics before I was completely done assembling it.
Root_Werks
I actually like the battery tray idea. Having it open like that doesn't reduce the strength and you can keep the area below it clean and painted.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 17 2008, 08:18 AM) *

I actually like the battery tray idea. Having it open like that doesn't reduce the strength and you can keep the area below it clean and painted.

I too agree. Meh, I'm not sure, I'll either leave it open as such or close it up. If I do leave it open, I'll be trimming it to right where it meets the suppot around the three sides, which is only about another 1/2 an inch.

Like I said, if anything, it's part of my "weight reduction"! lol sawzall-smiley.gif
RiqueMar
Of that ignition switch you guys where speaking of, where you refering top the picture witht the dashboard already mounted? Or the one that is just newly painted? I ask because these are two different supports, one being originally from the car, and the other being from a Six.
RiqueMar
Yesterday, I did'nt get to do much, as I got to the shop around 4:30, and it gets darker alot earlier now. I did, however, sand and clean up underneath the flares.

Originally, when we installed the flares, this area did'nt look to hot, with all the ground-down welds and such, so I once again wen to the Alumi-lead, applied it, and cleaned it up yesterday, to make it look more "seamless"....

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Ok, so today, Thanksgiving, actually got to work for a few hours.

Finished completely taking the Powder Coating/dirt/old paint from the suspension (correction from before, the new suspension is from a Six, not a 911). Took of the rotors, and the bearings inside, turned out they where bent out of shape. Sandblasted that plate that mounts behind the rotors, and everything is ready to paint on Saturday or Sunday.

Pictures to come, for now, more Turkey!
RiqueMar
Some pictures of the Six suspension. Scraped all the old Powder Coating off, will paint soon. Also took those shrowds, sandblasted them and such.

What do you think for the struts, green or black...... or red?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Did'nt get much done this weekend, as I had to work, however, coming up, I'll be prepping the Engine area, as well as doing Rubberized undercoating in the trunk.

What do you guys think for the Engine Bay? I'm thinking in the way of undercoating in Black.
SGB
Keep after it!

I too loose motivation when it is dark when I get up, sunrise as I go to work, and dark when I get home. And I just HATE cold. At least I have a garage, but it isn't heated. By the time I work out a little, eat some grub and have a beer, it is too late to get motivated...

oh well. At least I have a job.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 1 2008, 07:07 PM) *

Keep after it!

I too loose motivation when it is dark when I get up, sunrise as I go to work, and dark when I get home. And I just HATE cold. At least I have a garage, but it isn't heated. By the time I work out a little, eat some grub and have a beer, it is too late to get motivated...

oh well. At least I have a job.

I know exactly what you are saying. During the days when the sun is out longer, I used to work til' Nine, but now, it's too hard!
RiqueMar
Ok, finals are over, so now I can transfer, but more importantly, work on my car for the next month before I go back to class!

Today, I was actually able to get some parts completed.

Stripped down the suspension to bare metal using the wire brush, not sure to make it red or black, leaning more to black, what do you think?

IPB Image

Also, started to work on the engine bay. It looks really good underneath. We had checked it before, but this is the first time I've been able to see the details.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Since the site got nocked down, I don't know how many people saw my last updates, but heres more...

There was a pretty good size dent here that I knocked out....
IPB Image
IPB Image

No more rattle-can-blue-fender!
IPB Image

Prepped the trunk and removed all the sealant, gonna put in undercoating and such here.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Fount a few rust spots....
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The previous owner must have had stock in Bond-O, because this dent was filled heavily with it
IPB Image
IPB Image

PanelBilly
You have so much work ahead of you. Have you thought about just replacing the trunk rather than repairing all the rust holes?

I'd be afraid of the rust growing in the places you can't get to
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 26 2008, 10:07 AM) *

You have so much work ahead of you. Have you thought about just replacing the trunk rather than repairing all the rust holes?

I'd be afraid of the rust growing in the places you can't get to

Originally, I had thought about it, but others have told me that I'm lucky to have such a rust free car.

When I actually do find rust, it is so isolated, it is rarely a problem.
RiqueMar
Update after a months of nothing-ness. I guess my Father decided to bless me with a bigger engine, though we are not sure yet.

In the past month....

Bought the engine mount
Prepped the engine bay (to be painted this weekend)
Bought Zenith carbs
Cut away the rust in the middle of the trunk (Welding this weekend)
Stripped the whole trunk in fear of rust
RiqueMar
Let me just start off by saying, I love Snap-On tools. My Dad just bought a whole shop collection, and I think I'm the first to use it.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Finally added some Alumi-Lead to the trunk, as well as fixed that rust spot in the rear middle.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Took off all the stuff from the trunk area and sand blacted them. Also took off the original trunk shocks, anyone need the old rods?
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

And got the motor mount out.
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Finally the body guy is starting on my car! Pictures galore!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

New seat!!!!
IPB Image
PeeGreen 914
Looks like things are coming along. Nice score on the tools. I have about 95% Snap-on an love the feel of them.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 7 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Looks like things are coming along. Nice score on the tools. I have about 95% Snap-on an love the feel of them.

If only they where mine, but there my Dads....
RiqueMar
So since I started Spring Break yesterday, I was able to get in a good 4 hours on my car today.

Finally lift it up, and got all the undercoating on the front two wheel wells off.

Seemed kinda pointless, because I'll be putting it back on.

Pictures tomorrow.

Oh! And tomorrow, I pick up my engine!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.