Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spindle nut...would a parts store have these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I was putting my front and rear five lug coversion back together today and I'm missing a spindle nut. 914 spindle nuts looks like about the right size but different thread. The person who sold me the front end had sent a couple extra spindle nuts but they are too large in diameter. I have a 3" spacing front spindle if that helps.

Anyway, I'm one nut awa from putting it all back together...is that something a FLAPS would have? I'm going to be really bummed if that is all that is stopping me from finishing up tomorrow.
scotty b
Flaps ? Nope !
bdstone914
Mark,
The ones I send were from a 944. I checked them on another 911 strut and they fit. I think there are only two sizes. Have you tried your stock 914 spindle nuts on the 911 struts?
Bruce

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 11 2008, 07:31 PM) *

I was putting my front and rear five lug coversion back together today and I'm missing a spindle nut. 914 spindle nuts looks like about the right size but different thread. The person who sold me the front end had sent a couple extra spindle nuts but they are too large in diameter. I have a 3" spacing front spindle if that helps.

Anyway, I'm one nut awa from putting it all back together...is that something a FLAPS would have? I'm going to be really bummed if that is all that is stopping me from finishing up tomorrow.

computers4kids
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 11 2008, 09:45 PM) *

Mark,
The ones I send were from a 944. I checked them on another 911 strut and they fit. I think there are only two sizes. Have you tried your stock 914 spindle nuts on the 911 struts?
Bruce

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 11 2008, 07:31 PM) *

The ones you sent (944) were way too large for the 5 lug spindles I bought from you.
The 914 looks correct in diameter but is coarse thread, while the spindles are fine thread.
914Mike
[/quote]
The 914 looks correct in diameter but is coarse thread, while the spindles are fine thread.
[/quote]

When this happened to me I had to buy a pair from Rich @ HighPerformanceHouse of PartsHeaven. shades.gif
computers4kids
[quote name='Mike914' date='Oct 11 2008, 10:30 PM' post='1090232']
[/quote]
[/quote]

When this happened to me I had to buy a pair from Rich @ HighPerformanceHouse of PartsHeaven. shades.gif
[/quote]

Thanks...
After some reading, it turns out that there are 18mm and 16mm spindles, with the 18s' showing up somewhere around 73. I've discovered that most everyone only sells the 18...no 16mm clamping nuts.
914.341.671.00 M 16 x 1
911.341.673.00 M 18 x 1

I read a couple threads that people found and ordered some 16mm clamping nuts only to find out they wouldn't fit because the pitch was different.
So it looks like a stinkin nut is going to hold-up my conversion. headbang.gif

Time to start looking...maybe parts heaven will have one?
bdstone914
[quote name='computers4kids' date='Oct 12 2008, 08:06 AM' post='1090324']
[quote name='Mike914' date='Oct 11 2008, 10:30 PM' post='1090232']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks...
After some reading, it turns out that there are 18mm and 16mm spindles, with the 18s' showing up somewhere around 73. I've discovered that most everyone only sells the 18...no 16mm clamping nuts.
914.341.671.00 M 16 x 1
911.341.673.00 M 18 x 1

I read a couple threads that people found and ordered some 16mm clamping nuts only to find out they wouldn't fit because the pitch was different.
So it looks like a stinkin nut is going to hold-up my conversion. headbang.gif

Time to start looking...maybe parts heaven will have one?
[/quote]

Mark,

I found the same thing you did. There is a course thread on the 914 and a fine thread on the 911 spindles. I should have a couple of the nuts as I found at least one more spindle with the 18 mm fine thread. I checked the PET program and Pelican and they show a 914 part number on the 911 cars. I know that is not correct. I will see if I can find one today. If you have to buy one I will cover the cost.
Another good source is Autobahn Motors ( 619 444 2290 ) in El Cajon.

http://www.autobahnparts.com/carlisting.as...op20&Page=0

They dismantle Porsches.

Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.