Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice needed: Cheap AX wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I know they will be heavy, but it's either do something cheap or run streets

Has anyone done this themselves? I envision splitting them on my table saw with a cut off wheel then using my drill press as a mill. Rolling a piece of steel around a wooden disk and welding the ends then building a jig to align the 2 halves and the insert in the middle and butt welding the seems to make 7X15 4 bolts. Balance by rotating them on an old hub.

Am I off my rocker again? Am I following becoming another Mueller? (course he has created the roller bearings)

Dave
Brad Roberts
The biggest tire you can get under the body is a 205. I dont care what you widen a wheel too. So saying that... a 205 fits nicely on a 6 or 7 inch rim. Our rules dont allow 7's..check yours. Is it worth risking a wheel failure for .5 or 1.5 inch width gain ? Not in my book. I know a lot of people who kick ass on stock Mahles/Fuchs with 205 tires.

B
914werke
What about a 6.5? wink.gif
Brad Roberts
If you can find a 6.5.. it actually lays a 205 Hoosier FLAT. I think I have some Minilites that are 6.5 (on the car in my avatar)

Thinking more about it.. I bet we have some 6 inch widened stock steel wheels with 5.5 offset at the shop used.

Dave, I'm planning on attending JP's event. I'm sure I can make a smoking deal on some stock widened wheels for you. We dont use them and nobody ask's for them.

B
DNHunt
I just want to get 205 stickies under the fenders. Hoosier, at least, recommends 7" wheels. Point me in the right direction please. It's not that I want to go to all that work and I sure don't want to come apart. But, after all the boxes I snuck into the garage this winter Betsy's keeping a pretty close eye on me.

We need a sneaky smiley and probably a begging smiley

Dave
914werke
I was thinking allong the lines of widening some Malhes an 1". Not sure the $ cost would be acceptable though.
Brad Roberts
We put Hoosiers on 5.5 rims (the tire store guy will HATE you) 90% of the time we put them on 6 inch wide Panasports which goes with our local rules of .5 wider wheels (also allows us to use a stock Fuchs 15x6 911 wheel). I 100% agree that a 205 should be on a 7 inch wide wheel, but having run them on 5.5 and 7.. not a hole lot of difference. The 7 lays the contact patch out maybe 10mm more than the 5.5. The patch is so strong.. that the sidewalls cup "in" on the 5.5 but the contact patch stays 98% flat.

B
rhodyguy
dave, don't you think betsy will figure it out when you have her haul the ax tires to bremerton in the van?

kevin
J P Stein
Heh,heh............

Once you get them R spec tiars on there, madness follows. wacko.gif
Then you're gonna want negative camber....and stiffer suspenders....yada. Proper camber settings (or close) on my car made a hell of a difference on the ulf.....prolly 1-2 sec, even with my lousy driving.

Since your looking at 205s, the new Kuhmos are a bit cheeper than Hoosiers. The Vracers are cheeper yet and, unless you are an AX ace, you'll won't feel the difference. Personally, I'd save the money (around 50 bucks per tire) till you need the extra .5 (or so) sec to take class wins. I *think* the Vracers
last longer than "A" Hoosiers.

If Brad and our other friends make it up here on the 21st, we better record all the conversations (bullshit) for future reference, cause info overload is a difinite possibility.

BTW, there is an outfit in Portland what will widen steel wheels. I've never used them, but heard about them (and can't remember the name, of course). IIRC, the cost is reasonable.
ChrisReale
Brad, my Panasports are 7" wide. How will this penalize me?
Brad Roberts
It will nail you with points. It wont be bad. Unless you clean house and kick everyones ass it doesnt matter anyway.

B
DNHunt
Kevin

My ass is dead meat with Betsy as it is. She'll find out way before she has to haul any wheels and tires. Not sure how it happens but I always get caught.

JP

I already have the madness. New suspenders was all the boxes I got caught with this winter. The car handles so much better on the roads I think it would be a shame not to put good tires on it for AX. So, I'm willing to get my ass in the doghouse again. Then I won't have excuses, we'll find out real quick the weak link is the driver. Hope I do better at this than I did boat racing.

Brad

I know you got a lot going but if you think about it, can you PM me about wheels. Thanks

Dave
Brad Roberts
Dave, Monday morning I'll go threw all my PM's and either call people or email them. If Mark or Rich sees this they will also remind me.

B
DNHunt
Great Thanks

Dave
J P Stein
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Feb 8 2004, 11:53 AM)

JP

I already have the madness. New suspenders was all the boxes I got caught with this winter. The car handles so much better on the roads I think it would be a shame not to put good tires on it for AX. So, I'm willing to get my ass in the doghouse again. Then I won't have excuses, we'll find out real quick the weak link is the driver. Hope I do better at this than I did boat racing.

Yeah, right, boxes.......hay, maybe you'll get it right out of the box (I crack me up) laugh.gif

I've been getting & sending boxes for years....but I'm closing in on "it", I think idea.gif ....Either that or the light at the end of the tunnel is an onrushing locomotive. I have a box going out tomorrow and am expecting 2. One more after those I'll be ready to start reassembly.

Chances are, you'll need more boxes.
DNHunt
JP

I need some lessons from you on how to handle my wife. She tired of seeing new boxes. Maybe I should send back the empty ones.

I don't suppose I have it right outta the box. I expect to start at the bottom and hope to get better with practice. I expect the car to be better than I am. I'm just gonna try to have fun.

Dave
seanery
Dave,

ship parts to the office.
DNHunt
Sean

I've tried that. She finds out anyway.
Mueller
Dave,

I have one 15x7 wheel you can have for the price of shipping...it's a factory wheel center welded to a chevy outer section....Jenny is running these on her car and already has a spare and didn't want this one.
ChrisReale
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Feb 8 2004, 01:40 PM)
Sean

I've tried that. She finds out anyway.

Do you have a mole working at the office? Can you say "Job Opening?" laugh.gif
LS6/914
Dave, always list your purchase as SAFETY equipment. If you need a place to ship to you can use the shop address in Gig Harbor, it looks like I will be there full time. At the dealership we have a firm that straightens wheels and cuts centers for the DUB look( barf.gif ) they may be able to help. Larry
Bleyseng
I say just run some 4 bolt fuchs which are soo light and pretty cheap at $100 a piece for nice ones. 205's Kumho's will fit on these or on the early 911 Fuchs, you get into problems with the 7inch cookies.

To handle the wife you have to start selling stuff. When you tell them I just sold this and that for $400 to offset the cost of the rims/wheels.

Geoff
Korijo
To handle the wife you have to start selling stuff.

That dont work for me. The wife boxes up the sold items <_<

i'll try to find pics of my 4 x 130 wheels (posted here). They are 15 x 7, I was told 8...
Matt Romanowski
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I would suggest avoiding steel wheels. I'm trying to post a picture of my steel track rims. I know they were good when I put them on at the beginning of the weekend and this was 10 sessions later. Notice the crack going out the "spoke" and the other around the lug. Their was another long crack down a "spoke" and all the lugs were cracked at least ~200 degrees around the hole. Needless to say, I have a set of Panasports on the way.

Matt
Bleyseng
I don't think the steelies were even designed for wide sticky tires! I would hate to be in the car when a rim goes blamo!

Geoff spank.gif
mseiferth
Dave, if you need a place to stash your bounty you can have things shipped to my house... wink.gif

Hell we live close enough, and I receive all kinds of boxes due to my profession anyways.

My wife NEVER questions what I'm getting and if she did I would tell her "it's a sample" confused24.gif

Besides, that will give you a reason to come check our progress on the "6" beerchug.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Feb 8 2004, 01:35 PM)
JP

I need some lessons from you on how to handle my wife. She tired of seeing new boxes. Maybe I should send back the empty ones.

Dave

It's simple really. I got her trained.

I get a box, she gets a box. I ship out a box, she gets a box...nuthin' to it laugh.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 8 2004, 08:52 PM)

It's simple really. I got her trained.

Where can I find a manual for this? Can we add it to the 914info section? laugh.gif
Korijo
found them. three are gold still. one redone as a guinea pig. gonna change my mind blink.gif again...

IPB Image
J P Stein
Hay, Dave:
I got 2 boxes yesterday and ordered 2 more...hopfully they'll get here this week. The wife is in CA. and these may slip under her radar. laugh.gif

At the rate I'm getting this stuff, I just might put the attendees on the 21st to work on my shitbox. I'd supervise & hold the beer, of course beer.gif
Korijo
The wife is actually "OK" with the little pkgs lately. Doing more selling smile.gif . Just sold my 4x100 setup last night. Staying w/ the 4x130.

I'll be down, with the whole famn damily this time laugh.gif
smilie_rolli_1.gif driving-girl.gif dance.gif mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.