Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
JRust
Hey I came across a 914 for sale. I talked with the guy on the phone & he says it's a 73 2.0 car. It was in dry storage for a while but he couldn't find any rust. BOth trunks look good & he says below the battery there is NO Rust. I know I will believe that when I see it myself. Still I asked him to send me some pictures. I see bumper tits on the front bumper & know it's a 74. I also see Mahle wheels & an LE front spoiler idea.gif . Car runs & shifts great too! The side stripe isn't the right color for an LE though right?
How can I find out if it is an LE?
Vin#?
Then where would I find LE vins?
KELTY360
LE Mahles would have the centers painted. If it was an LE, the Porsche stripe would be orange.

Still might be a good deal.
JRust
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 12 2008, 02:12 PM) *

LE Mahles would have the centers painted. If it was an LE, the Porsche stripe would be orange.

Still might be a good deal.

I just wondered if they might have changed the wheels & the side stripes to something they liked better confused24.gif . Seen a few LE's that did not look like LE's at all with people changing them. Just wondering if there is a place to find out from the Vin or something?
SLITS
Email Jeff Bowlsby with the VIN, Chassis Number, Paint Code ... he has the database with the range that LEs were built in.

If the Mahles are a rough finish (not slick) they probably have been media blasted to remove the paint. If the finish is slick silver, they are probably regualar Mahles.

You can also look in the trunk by the gas tank area, inside the doors, engine compartment, etc and see if there was a color change.
watsonrx13
A good indication of a LE, via Jeff Bowlby's web site:

Either L80E (Light Ivory) or L041 (Black) and manufactured between Feb and July 1974.

I agree with Kelty360 that the wheels and spoiler should be painted Orange (Creamsicle) and the strip should also be Orange, but you can't judge a book by it's cover....

Here's a LE (Creamsicle) I discovered after I purchased it as a donor car. After studying Jeff's web site I was convinced it was a LE, so I sent off for the COA and confirmed that indeed it was a Creamsicle ('Can Am' Limited Edition Package).... Here's what the car looks like today, before I start restoration....

Click to view attachment

And COA....

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
computers4kids
Jamie, I have only one word for you...
FOCUS
roadster fan
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 12 2008, 03:07 PM) *

Jamie, I have only one word for you...
FOCUS

av-943.gif
Todd Enlund
Hey, Jamie's car finished a run yesterday... he needs a new project!
type47
if it's a 73, i don't think it's an LE because LE's were MY 74. you can see from the COA in a post above that the LE's were MY 74
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 12 2008, 01:00 PM) *

Then where would I find LE vins?

Our VIN page has the range for known LE's. IF the VIN falls within that range, you should get a COA ...
bye1.gif Andy
scotty b
Am I wrong or didn't all LE's get sway bars ? confused24.gif One of mine fits the criteria ( vin number, no vinyl ) except for the sway bars
JRust
It has some possibilities. I've got to see it in person to have a better idea. Yet there are some things I have noticed. The gages do have the black center, it's vin# does fall into the LE possibles, It has all the options, The valance is an LE (when I go see it I will see if it has the tell tale #'s on the backside), The paint code is the L80E & the chassis #also falls into the possible category. Having said all that I am not getting my hopes up.

Price wise if it actually runs great & has No rust as stated I will be buying it anyway. It will be a BIG plus if it ends up being an LE too! If so it is not a registered on on Jeff's site yet. Either way looks like I am getting sucked back in to multiple 914's rolleyes.gif
sixnotfour
Its a Licorice LE , untracable, very rare. If it truly is that rust free score.

Jamie do you run a 914 wanted add ?
JRust
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 12 2008, 05:29 PM) *

Its a Licorice LE , untracable, very rare. If it truly is that rust free score.

Jamie do you run a 914 wanted add ?

No! Just one of my many connections paying off av-943.gif
Actually that is true. Funny how some cars come up when people know you have one. I can't say I need the car but it should make someone happy eventually smile.gif
JRust
Okay I just talked to him & am going up to see it tommorow. One other thing he says is I noiced when I was getting the vin# on the door that the rocker has some orange paint underneath it. So t looks like they painted the rockers at one time.

I think to myself No Freakin way! The Mahles also have kind of a rough finish or at least are not a real smooth silver biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I'd be lying if I didn't say I am getting excited now piratenanner.gif Can u say Creamsicle?
Rav914
Rear targa bar trim is black also. The evidence looks like it's coming together for a Creamsicle!

Keep us posted.
Sleepin
I was also wondering about this one here in Salt Lake City.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/844193608.html
IPB Image

Looks like Fuchs and chrome bumpers....but I have heard of people not liking the looks of the LE's and changing quite a bit on them.

Good find though! I hope it is an LE that you uncovered!!!
john grier
Well if it were me I would buy it if it was an le or not, if the price was right
boxstr
Jamie Have you seen the four 914s in Salem??
CCLINMYLIST
JRust
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 12 2008, 10:10 PM) *

Jamie Have you seen the four 914s in Salem??
CCLINMYLIST

I have sort of! You are going to laugh too. This is that flighty guy Chris from awhile back. You will remember him as he talked to you about buying an engine for his car. I ended up selling him the 2.0 I bought from Tim up in Portland. It was the one that was in the silver 74 I bought from you. Then I sold him a 71 roller,74 roller & one other one I forget the info on. He was into computers or something for work. I'm pretty positive I sold him 3 of those 4 914's. av-943.gif He was one strange guy but likeable. He was planning on restoring some & racing some. Guess those plans have changed. I wouldn't waste my time checking them out if I was you.
JRust
Is it just me or does the left side of the front bumper show some Orange paint?
peetzinc
I saw the ad on Craigslist myself and was wondering. Thanks for the info. It is getting to be such a small community when deveryone knows where every car comes from.
JRust
This car is not on Craigslist. There is a 74 in Newberg for sale for $1500. This car is a friend of a friend deal. It is not listed for sale anywhere. Lucky find for me biggrin.gif
Rav914
So.......what's the verdict? Did you see it today?
stepuptotheMike
popcorn[1].gif

maybe he's out celebrating? beerchug.gif

-Mike
davesclassicvws
Man Jamie,
When did you have time to squeeze this into your weekend? What with the drive on Saturday and all. You must have a VERY PATIENT WIFE!!! biggrin.gif
Good to see you on Saturday.
Man all I can remember is seeing your smiling face in my rear view mirror coming down into Cougar and climbing up into Amboy. I was mpressed with your cars power and I was up in front. Your car also semed to be handling the twities very well. I couldn't see any body roll. Do you have sway bars on that car?
JRust
Okay so YES IT IS A CREAMSICLE piratenanner.gif I have the original window sticker from the dealership! Here are some pictures & I am excited that it really is an 74 LE creamsicle biggrin.gif It runs but could use some fine tuning. Overall pretty solid. The front trunk is great with no rust. The rear trunk has some starting below the tailights but not replace the panel bad. The battery tray is another story. So much for no rust by the battery or below (lying stinking poser chair.gif ).

Now to the downside. There is rust headbang.gif
It has a branded title headbang.gif headbang.gif Which really sucks as the only body damage I can find is the front drivers side fender. It was obviously swiped by something. Didn't screw anything else up just that fender. Really pisses me off that it has a branded title because of that. It needs a new fender but would be just fine once replaced.
Lou W
Congratulations on a great find. smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
Sweet, I love a happy ending beerchug.gif
That looks to be a good candidate for a JRustoration biggrin.gif
LarryR
Wow I think the title wont make a huge difference if the quality of the car represents itself. Great find. Good luck restoring it.
PeeGreen 914
I really hate you.... Okay... not really. biggrin.gif Nice find Jamie.... This is worth everything being a 914 freak is about. drunk.gif
JRust
I am not sure how to proceed. For me to restore this right I would need to sell my other one. Not totally opposed to that but confused24.gif . I'm just not sure I am ready to sell my 8. What do I do? Anybody out there want to trade me a nice six with flares for a Creamsicle
sww914
I'll trade you funny looking blue & green racecar with a 2056. smile.gif
JRust
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 13 2008, 11:22 PM) *

idea.gif Hum trades???
roadster fan
Nice find, clean it up, tune it, flip it!

Jim
markb
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 13 2008, 11:15 PM) *

QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 13 2008, 11:22 PM) *

idea.gif Hum trades???

Ooooo, if you did this, I might get to help work on a real C'sicle. piratenanner.gif

Congrats on a good find! aktion035.gif
watsonrx13
Jamie, congratulations.... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
jc914
Congrats on the find restore and keep us posted smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif 309.gif
computers4kids
Congrats Jamie...it's always fun hearing about barn finds that turn out to be gems. It always amazes me when an owner says "no rust." I bet he is from back east...sorry no offense guys, but it's all relative.

With my little understanding of the value of this car in the condition it is in, I would say flip it for top dollar. A proper restoration will cost you $ unless you do it yourself. And do it correctly!!!

I bet you get some great trade deals that will make you smile...way to go, Jamie! smilie_pokal.gif
914werke
SCORE! aktion035.gif
Sell the V8 restore that puppy.
From the few Pics it looks like its pretty stock.
What about the eng. is it #s matching?
JRust
I don't know on the engine until I get a COA. In looking at the car I would be surprised if this engine has been changed. Doesn't look like it's even been out o the car? If it has it was a long time ago. SO I am very optimistic that this s all numbers matching. NOt sure if the LE front valance is a stock or a replacement. It does have a crack in it either way. I'll pull it off tonight to see. Feeling good about it today. I think a restore is in my future. Maybe not a ful blown but I think I will get it back to looking like an LE before I do anything with it? It's all up in the air though
Bleyseng
Nice score, Jamie. Look on jeff Bowlsbys site for the details on the LE spoiler as they are different from the aftermarket ones. Fiberglass is easy to repair! chair.gif
Michael N
Sweeeet find!!! smilie_pokal.gif If the valance is original repair it. The OEM one have a different angle on the sides. If it just cracked it should be a easy repair.
JRust
How do I go about getting a COA from Porsche?
I also need to replace the front fender. What is the best way to do it? I've got a car I can cut one off of. Where do I want to cut to have what I need for the new one? I will be having someone else put the new fender on. I do not have the welding ability to do it at this point. I also want it done right.

Going to start to strip it down this weekend. Pull all the bumpers, Valances & Rockers. I'll get them media blasted (if that is the best way to go). Depending on how soon I am going to do bodywork I may pull the wheels to prep for Phoenix Red along with the other pieces. Once the rockers are off I'll have a better idea of the rust damage there. Jack posts seemed solid but the passenger side I could tell had build up(road crap) around it.

Top dash will need recovered or replaced with a good one. The seats need redone along with center cushion. Door panels are uncut & perfect biggrin.gif . Rest of the dash is excellent. All gages are working & look great. All knobs on the dash are pristine along with the working stock Blaupunk radio biggrin.gif . The carpet is a redish color & I'm asuming was replaced from stock confused24.gif . Gas pedal wobbles with your foot pushing on it?
Front bumper top is wavy while the rear has the issues by the liscence late lights. Thats what I can think of now anyway unsure.gif . I am thinking resto now & I must be losing it screwy.gif
ClayPerrine
Jamie...

You need to fix your signature... it says "Only one 914". poke.gif

Congrats on the car!

JRust
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 14 2008, 11:30 AM) *

Jamie...

You need to fix your signature... it says "Only one 914". poke.gif

Congrats on the car!

Point taken av-943.gif I'll do it right now

I also just called Porsche & ordered my Certificate of Authenticity. Of course I won't get it for 4-6 weeks but oh well. I also was able to get the title transfered to my name this morning along with new tags. Guess I'll have to take it for a spin tonight driving.gif
gopack
Great find! Best of luck with the restoration!
jmill
If you check out my "Green machine" progress thread you see me change the passenger front fender next week. There's a thread around here that shows Chris at CFR butt weld new fenders on. I'll have to drill the whole thing off due to damage. It's just a matter of drilling out one heck of alot of spot welds and then welding it back on. When you open the hood you can see the seam. Then look behind the front tire, there's some more there. The hard part is around the cowl and window pillar.
Eric_Shea
Congrats Jamie!
KELTY360
Make it a Grasshopper! locust.gif

Great score.

grasshopper914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.