Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
Hi everyone

i'm a newbie to this list, and to 914's in general (actually, i drove one for a summer 8 years ago and loved it, but that's another story). just bought a '75 2.0 in pretty good condition. the previous owner barely drove it except when he autocrossed it, so the car has some 3/4 worn kumho victoracers on it. Obviously, no street tire is going to compare with the grip these give, but i'm going to need more tread wear than these offer. does anyone have suggestions for a tire with a good trade off between performance and wear? i'll be using the car to joy ride through the mountains, run jaunts around town, and occasionally for a light commute (hopefully in that order!). thanks so much,

nathan
Brad Roberts
Check with TireRack and see if they have any Yokohama AVS intermediates left over. They had a blow out sale a few months back for 47$ apiece. You wont find a better all around tire for your 914. Buy them in a 205/60/15 or 195/60/15 depending on what wheels you have.

If TireRack doesnt have them... I know where 50 sets are stashed here in NorCal.

B
tod914
I recently put yoko avs es 100 - 195 60 15 on mine - real happy with the tire. little more than 47 a piece though. Brads recommendation sounds good.
Brad Roberts
Do you have a pic of your tires (a ad for them or something) ?? I would like to see the "100" design.

B
Elliot_Cannon
Another new guy here. What wheels will go with the 205 15s and what wheels are recommended for the 195 15s. What is the difference??
Cheers, Elliot blink.gif
Brad Roberts
Welcome Elliot !!

The wheel I like to use with the 205 (or the 195) is the Factory Fuchs alloy. The tire installer will HATE you if you purchase a 205/50/15 and have them installed on the Fuchs. Its a stretch to make them work on the 5.5 inch wide wheel.

B
seanery
I ran 205/55's BFG R1's on fuchs and they were great! I was bummed when I heard I couldn't get em anymore.
Effin' BFG!
Elliot_Cannon
Thanks Brad. I have a set of black 8 spoke wheels I think are made by Empi. If they are 5.5 inch which I think they are, will 205 60 or 50 15s fit in the stock fender? Or do I just gotta try them and see if they fit.
Brad Roberts
Elliot,

I have had NO luck running anything larger than a 195 on the Empi's. Those wheels where designed for the VW bug offset. I think they look good on the 914, they just dont allow for a nice fat tire under the stock wheel wells.

Like this:

B
tod914
Do you have a pic of your tires (a ad for them or something)

Brad,

I dont have a picture of them. I purchased them based upon the reviews/comparisons from tire rack.
I'll see if I can borrow a digi camera and snap a few shots. Looking foward to the first autocross event out here so I can see how well they grip.
Part Pricer
Here is the ES 100:
IPB Image

Tirerack has them for $70 each in 195/60/15
Zeke
Not to change the subject, but what is the good track tire now? Everything is changing, some tires are NLA, especailly in 15's.
Dave_Darling
Hoosier AS03 or RS03.

Kumho is close, but not there.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups have a good rep (just about as fast as Hoosiers), but I don't think are available in 15s. (Could be wrong on that.)

People are starting to report better results with the Toyo Proxes soft-compound tire.

--DD
campbellcj
Hoosier is supposedly about to unleash a new "*3S04" series, with better performance and longevity. I am tempted to wait for those if it won't be too long. The existing Hoosiers are the "benchmark" for DOT legal race rubber, but they still have issues -- fragility (punctures and flatspotting), cost, and short lifetime. I have heard great things about the Michelins but never used them personally, and they are spendy at $200/ea. Not that Hoosiers are cheap, at $170/ea in narrowbody 914 sizes.

If you lean towards the Kumhos, I would probably suggest the "old" Victoracer V700 over the "new" Ecsta V700. I have used both, and so far I'm not impressed by the new version. Although, that opinion may have differed if I had gotten the Ecsta's shaved prior to use. Then again, I didn't get the Victo's shaved either....
Bruce Allert
After I just put Nitto NT 205/50/15's on I found out Fulda came out with a new sticky tire for $65 apiece. Their ad says not good in rain. Prolly a good tire for those of you down South but not here in Orygun driving.gif
bruce
Targa
I just got a set of the yokohama AVS ES 100 205/60/15 and had them mounted on a beautiful set of Fuchs. I paid $83 a piece @ discounttiredirect.com and had them shipped for free. They have a 280 Treadwear # and are rated ^ 130 MPH. But I am still waiting for Koni Sports & a few other things to get the car out of the shop so I can get my first impression. First I will do a little speed test on Hwy 280 to see what the increase in top speed is from a 185/65/15. Then I will shoot right on over to Skyline Blvd off of Hwy 92 to see how fast the 914 will take the turns with signs posting the limit @ 35 MPH happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.